Officiating - Bama vs. OU...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Officiating Tonight

That's textbook DPI..................I've seen that called quite a few times in various games, and it should have been called.............
Correct, and the real time version is worse than the stills. The DB was so thoroughly beaten that he almost fell down. The only reason he's not on the ground is because he's supporting himself by holding onto Smith's hips. Thing is, with the stellar receivers we have, they made other catches while being pummeled, with no call. In none of them, would we have benefited by accepting the penalty. OTOH, it would have been nice to have the whistle to acknowledge the foul...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013

Well, then let me explain it to you. The ball is in the air. The receiver has run past the DB and the DB grabbed his jersey holding him. When that didn't work, he grabbed by the hips as the receiver stepped back towards the ball. Do you need a clip? I'm about through with you and you're about through with this site. Dishonesty and dissembling, I will not tolerate...
That description definitely sounds like DPI. You asked for my thoughts on the photo and none of that happened in the still photo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I enjoy reading your site because you guys are great fans and you generally appreciate answers about rules. Alabama is a similar style team and dynasty like the school I attended.

I'll answer questions but I won't get into debates because once it turns into a debate I'm not gong to change anyone's mind. And it's not important that I do. Fans are always going to side with their team and feel the officials and announcers hate their teams. I get that. Someone posted here that Oklahoma fans felt the officials cheated on behalf of Alabama. They watched the same game you guys did but had a completely opposite opinion. That is completely understandable.

260 plays without a holding call on our opponents says you're dead wrong and your entire premise is wrong. You are here only to defend officials. I understand that. I'll think that over. I'll tell you what I really believe. I think there is national "Bama fatigue." I understand that. If I weren't Bama fan and grad, I'd probably also think that Bama is sucking the oxygen out of CFB. I think it permeates not only the fan base nation, I think it reaches the officiating corps, the vast majority of whom are fans of one school, usually a major one, or another. I think it reaches the unconscious of the officials to the point they are reluctant to call it down the middle. I think that's the reason for 260 plays without an opponent being called for our dominant DL. If you disagree with this premise, then you explain the lack of offensive holding calls. It's not just the lack of holding calls. That's just the most obvious canary in the mine...

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

We readily admitted we see things through crimson colored glasses. We can see our own bias.
Problem is, when it comes to critiquing your colleagues in the stripe suits, you can’t recognize your own. You will go to the nth degree to defend something that was clearly missed or a call made in error.
Don’t come here flying a flag of “objectivity” when you certainly aren’t.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

That's textbook DPI..................I've seen that called quite a few times in various games, and it should have been called.............
Yeah, i've seen UA called for dpi "for not turning their head" and the ball hitting them in the back...but i digress again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That description definitely sounds like DPI. You asked for my thoughts on the photo and none of that happened in the still photo.

That’s why I asked you to watch clips or the entire game before commenting. Helps us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Correct, and the real time version is worse than the stills. The DB was so thoroughly beaten that he almost fell down. The only reason he's not on the ground is because he's supporting himself by holding onto Smith's hips. Thing is, with the stellar receivers we have, they made other catches while being pummeled, with no call. In none of them, would we have benefited by accepting the penalty. OTOH, it would have been nice to have the whistle to acknowledge the foul...
My wife, a UGA alum who loves Bama but knows next to nothing about football, screamed "That's pass interference!" when that play happened...............of course, naturally it wasn't called

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

260 plays without a holding call on our opponents says you're dead wrong and your entire premise is wrong. You are here only to defend officials. I understand that. I'll think that over...
My thoughts exactly. Definitely a defensiveness and bias when it comes to his chosen profession. Understandable to a point and I can understand his not wanting to comment on some specific scenarios without full information. Some other comments are hard to understand, but perhaps he isn't familiar with the Michigan inspired data showing the obvious disparities in penalties called against Bama's opponents. So some of the obstinance I get but some I don't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks. That's an honest answer. I'm not sure, with digital rights, that we can really post a clip here of what we all saw. In a longer post, I've told you what I really think is going on with officiating against Bama. The problem is that, although part of it may be active bias, the majority of it is unconscious...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013

I really would like to hear his comments on the officiating throughout the whole game...
It would be inappropriate for me to publicly comment on the quality of calls either way. I have no authority of these officials or input to their grades. I'm also not a hired gun like Pereira, Blandino, Lemonnier for broadcasts. I hope everyone can respect and understand that.

I haven't defended any calls from last night's game. I've only answered rules questions and explained why something would or wouldn't be called. The illegal formation for example could have been graded as Marginal (M) or Too Technical (TT) or Correct Call (CC) but it probably wouldn't be Incorrect Call (IC).

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018

I don't think there is a conspiracy against Alabama if by conspiracy you mean accepting money or holding secret meetings. I think there is a natural human tendency many people have to sympathize with the underdog. I believe someone posted something like this earlier. The refs may be unconciously biased towards protecting weaker players from the 5 star physical specimens that Saban successfully recruits. For example, Raekwon Davis. 6'7" 306 and fast. How is any normal Oklahoma University OL guy going to stop him without holding? And Quinnen Williams? If refs called all the holds OU committed they would have been held to 10 points and the Heisman winner carted off on a stretcher. ESPN announcers also seemed to ignore most of the bad calls and no calls because a blow out would not have been good for ratings. I just felt these refs were not much worse than average except for the no call on Samia and the blatant OI no call when Suratin got pushed 4 yards. How do you miss penalties that are so flagrant?
(this is sarcasm)

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

It would be inappropriate for me to publicly comment on the quality of calls either way. I have no authority of these officials or input to their grades. I'm also not a hired gun like Pereira, Blandino, Lemonnier for broadcasts. I hope everyone can respect and understand that.

I haven't defended any calls from last night's game. I've only answered rules questions and explained why something would or wouldn't be called. The illegal formation for example could have been graded as Marginal (M) or Too Technical (TT) or Correct Call (CC) but it probably wouldn't be Incorrect Call (IC).
Your credibility and surely your sense of timing are both in question. Should you "retire" to you team that was a supposed football dynasty. Yet you refrain from naming the team. I really like the ignore member function
on this board. Let us know when you team is relevant again.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hey can someone relink that article to the Michigan fan's analysis of penalties?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

So why would you come here to “enlighten us” if you admit you haven’t watched a replay of the game? How can you comment on something as to “”what an official might be seeing” or interpret a rule if you didn’t see the play that is being referenced? You just stated to Earle “that seeing the play in context” is everything. Yet you want us accept your interpretation without the context of you even watching a replay.
You’re here to defend the brotherhood of the striped shirts. And when asked, quite frankly, to be honest and objective you fall in “I’m not in a position to judge or grade their performance”? Nice cop out.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Your credibility and surely your sense of timing are both in question. Should you "retire" to you team that was a supposed football dynasty. Yet you refrain from naming the team. I really like the ignore member function
on this board. Let us know when you team is relevant again.
North Dakota St Bisons. He's named them previously.

I respect the fact he feels a professional restraint to not comment on calls by other officials, but it seems a little hypocritical to hide behind that while criticizing fanbases in general and ours in particular for bias and therefore summarily dismissing legitimate concerns with evidence backing them up.

The ignore function is at times underutilized on this site. It's a good function if someone is really getting under one's skin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Hey can someone relink that article to the Michigan fan's analysis of penalties?
Here's the link to the second blog entry. The first one concerned itself with holding calls in the B1G. As he researched further, he found officiating being prejudiced even more sharply against Alabama. BTW, he's a data scientist by trade, not a sports person. Or an official or anyone representing them...

LINK

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

I didn't see much of last night's game, but I can guarantee the guys working the game have significantly more training, performance review, and evaluation than any high school official at any level of any sport. Every official is graded on every play in every game. Those grades are used to determine post season assignments. Get enough downgrades and you won't be working at that level the following season. Fans won't hear about the grades and staff changes because they ultimately don't care unless he loses appendages. They'll also disagree with most of them anyway because they'll realize the officials are right a lot more than they think. No official is perfect and there are mistakes every game. Most of what fans complain about though are judgement calls they see differently or don't fully understand the rule or philosophy. That's fine and you are fine to complain as much as you want. But to say they are lacking in training and evaluation is absolutely incorrect.
I reread my post and I clearly didn’t my point well.
Let me ask it this way. Does the NCAA do the the training and evaluations nationwide?
Or do the individual conferences handle that aspect?
I think what a lot dislike is the lack of consistency week to week.
What I would like to see happen is conference affiliation be scrapped for the officials. Let them work sizeable regional groups of teams from different conferences. I would think this might eliminate some of the difference in how officials in different conferences call games.

Another question, at this level do the crews stay intact throughout the season, or do their rotate personnel?

I have tremendous amount of respect for the knowledge and perspectives you bring to the board.
I’ve never officiated football, but I can tell you that to be behind home plate all night you better grow a thick skin.
The thing is dislike in sports more than just about anything is “K-Zone” on televised baseball games. I don’t like it because you have the lateral perspective of where the ball crosses the plate. I get it, context matters

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.