Officiating - Bama vs. OU...

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I really am not one of those "blame the ref" type people but the officiating tonight, in my opinion, was just bad. It almost looked to me like the refs tonight wanted to make a point to insert themselves into any big moment in this game. That illegal formation just seemed ticky to me. Granted i'm wearing crimson colored glasses but I just don't know how they could make that call. It's almost like they had orders to keep this game close. That said, I also didn't feel they were consistent with their calls, which is the most frustrating part. How was their lineman not givin a personal foul when he basically speared Q while he was on the ground after putting a legal hit on Kyler. It just seemed a bit off to me all night, even though we did win pretty comfortably anyway.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Re: Officiating Tonight

I am with you. The Zebras obviously had an agenda in this game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It worked out where the review process seemed to like a frantic attempt to find anyway possible to mitigate Alabama's dominance. The Juedy overturned reception was very pedantic interpretation of the rules. The Ruggs TD review was much the same but there was no one nanometer shift of the ball to hone in on for the review personnel. Then again, the Harris fumble reversal was huge for us so I guess I'm just being a homer. The illegal formation penalty was incorrect unless of course the vast majority of snaps taken in this game by either team was procedurally incorrect. Again I guess I'm being a homer but I'm not seeing a penalty on that play other than a way to take a TD off the board.

I thought this crew was at their worst managing the post-snap conduct in this game. OU's RT (I believe) committed two separate post-snap conduct penalties that were uncalled. Technically should've been ejected but realistically just calling the first one would've stopped the second one and some of the tempers that flared in the trenches throughout the game.

All in all, about what I expect from an ACC crew. Mostly not bad but some random weirdo calls and generally poor control over the game w/r/t player conduct.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

I don’t know how an endeavor that makes the money CFB does, can be lacking across the board in such a significant area. It would be like a playoff team with no defense, it just makes no sense.
How can there not be better training, performance review (w/ reward and punishment) on a national scale

Our local HS baseball umpires association even has an evaluation committee of Senior officials. They watch games and grade calls, professionalism, and game management. Those who score highly move up to be eligible for more important playoff games.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Reffing in Football across the board is bad these days. It's even worse right now in the NFL. It's gotten so bad people are questioning if the games are rigged or not.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

They were ACC refs so maybe they were trying to get Clemson a better match up.

I do think there needs to be more accountability for the refs. Starting to hear that said more and more so maybe we'll see something in a couple years. Just have the head of the crew at the post-game press conference to take questions would be a start.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN

I agree, it seemed every opportunity to throw a flag our way was thrown. Also it seemed Herbie and Fowler were pulling for the Sooners. Watching the replay on ESPN as I write, on our first 28 points only the actual touchdowns were shown, the drives down the field were skipped over as "moving ahead to further action". Now that Oklahoma has started to show some life are they showing the drives.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

I thought the officiating was fairly decent. Sure they missed some calls, but calls were missed on both sides so I don’t think a rationale observer would think there is an agenda.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I thought the officiating was fairly decent. Sure they missed some calls, but calls were missed on both sides so I don’t think a rationale observer would think there is an agenda.
If you missed calls on both teams, that points to being bad, not fairly decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobeman73

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018

Granted the refs dont have the eye in the sky view we do, but the missed defensive holdings calls (was even one called against OK?) was pretty unbelievable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I am just thankful that the officiating did not cost Alabama the game. It certainly cost Alabama points.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South

I am just thankful that the officiating did not cost Alabama the game. It certainly cost Alabama points.
True. Just glad replay showed that Damien's "fumble" wasn't.
The Jeudy "bobble" was close, so I see why it was called.
Overall the refs were about what we've seen all year: average.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012

The worst no-call was on #75 who jumped on Quinnen Williams after the play was over in front of two officials. I haven’t re-watched this game but it seems like 75 had a PF called against him earlier in the game, so another would have resulted in ejection. This was not “letting them play,” it was the officials nearly losing control of the game. Oh, and Offensive Pass Interference (aka pushing off) is a thing—if it’s called properly over half of Lamb’s receptions aren’t receptions.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

Murray scrambled what, 10 times? Cuts and direction changes...and there wasn't the first hold against a top 3 defense? Yeah, right. And their right tackle most def should have been ejected for jumping Q after the play. Looked like he tried to kick him WHEN THE REF PULLED HIM OFF too.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

True. Just glad replay showed that Damien's "fumble" wasn't.
The Jeudy "bobble" was close, so I see why it was called.
Overall the refs were about what we've seen all year: average.
I’ve seen that exact scenario though ruled a catch too. It’s really subjective. The ruling I saw said it was “controlled” by pinning it to the leg like JJ did. To me it was controlled but they need consistency for sure. It seemed until yesterday and the day before that the refs had retired the targeting calls. I had not seen one in the games I watched even though there were several REAL times that it could have been called. I’m betting crews were given a reminder bc they were chunking flags and players both. It just gets frustrating but when the refs literally had to pull a player off that is attacking an opponent and nothing happens....that’s absurd!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.

Number 2 Lamb pushed off to get open on 3 or 4 of his bigger catches! OK lineman holding several times! Late hits out of bounds not called! Illegal formation call was reaching a little bit!

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

ACC ref's didn't want us playing Clempson again! RTR
I really am not one of those "blame the ref" type people but the officiating tonight, in my opinion, was just bad. It almost looked to me like the refs tonight wanted to make a point to insert themselves into any big moment in this game. That illegal formation just seemed ticky to me. Granted i'm wearing crimson colored glasses but I just don't know how they could make that call. It's almost like they had orders to keep this game close. That said, I also didn't feel they were consistent with their calls, which is the most frustrating part. How was their lineman not givin a personal foul when he basically speared Q while he was on the ground after putting a legal hit on Kyler. It just seemed a bit off to me all night, even though we did win pretty comfortably anyway.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Anyone that has read many of my posts lo the two decades I've been here now knows I have very little tolerance for blaming the refs.

But it's not blaming the refs when you win and point out how truly awful they were. Apparently, offensive pass interference was excised from the rulebook, they're following the NFL in getting ridiculous about catches, and I'm trying to figure out when it became legal for an offensive lineman to hit a defender on the ground.

Throw in the not called horse collar on the Jalen TD in the UGA game, and I'm starting to think officials lack the ability anymore to follow a play all the way through to its conclusion.

Sartain had trouble in large part because Numb Nuts (#2) was pushing off and getting away with it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

On the play where Murray had about 6-8 seconds before throwing showed lineman 5-7 yards downfield.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.