JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Oklahoma wrap-up: Bama put this one away ‘Sooner’ than expected
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
December 30th, 2018 02:43 AM

While Clemson was basically enjoying a bye week in the 2-3 semifinal, Alabama got a much more difficult draw in the 1-4 game – if, that is, the game was strictly a comparison of offenses.

But in football, teams must bring both offenses and defenses to games, which is a fact most Big 12 teams are still either stubbornly ignoring, or is a concept with which they are simply incapable of complying.

Statistically, a person who didn’t watch this game would look at the numbers and suggest Alabama and Oklahoma were evenly matched teams, which is understandable. Anyone who watched the game and still asserted such, however, are the same people who are likely to believe salmon ice cream with Brussels sprout gravy makes a good dessert.

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks again For the extremely high quality work Jess. With Freshmen able to play 4 games and maintain a RS, why wouldn’t Alabama consider playing scout team phenom Christian Barmore on the DL and Ray at end/outside linebacker?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I enjoyed you pointing out that ND had problems all along the season with their resume and should have been obvious to anyone on the CFP committee. Maybe this is their way of getting expansion to eight teams.

Sharp as usual. It’s going to interesting to see what happens if Miller is out. Pesky LB injuries always seem to creep up when unsuspecting. Miller was having a great game. I thought it was a cramp. Read this morning that the injury isn’t as bad as we thought so that’s encouraging going forward. I’m sure he will be somewhat limited. Maybe we will platoon it. Here comes #18!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I enjoyed you pointing out that ND had problems all along the season with their resume and should have been obvious to anyone on the CFP committee. Maybe this is their way of getting expansion to eight teams.
I think so far the Committee has done a defensible job but Georgia really does have a beef with them this year with putting Notre Dame in the playoff. They were physically unable to play with Clemson. They talked like they had closed the gap since the 2012 but I didn't see any significant improvement.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write up, Jess. The team played well overall... need to rest and focus on Clemson. I have a feeling Christian Miller will not be able to play. Seems BAMA gets injuries at linebackers each year when we really need them healthy for big games. Hopefully someone else will step up, because Clemson will be tough to beat. It would be great if Terrell Lewis could play.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Lamb's success came with pushing off and Surtain trying not to get pass interference calls for the most part, including the touchdown catch. I think if Surtain had been more physical he might've defended better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks so much for staying up and getting your recap done overnight so we can read it this morning. Great job as always. I love how you turn a phrase. There was no doubt the ND did not deserve to even be in the CFP, much less a 3rd seed. Yesterday proved it. Clemson definitely got the bye. I am so proud of our team. Now on to Clemson!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for your recap... It is always my favorite follow-up after the game. The OU coach like to say they were 34-17 after the 28-0 start but OU never had the ball where they weren't at least 3 possessions behind. I felt like we could have scored every time we got the ball. I was a little surprised they didn't ever try to double team Lamb. I'll take this win everyday.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Awesome article as always Jess. Oklahoma was never really in the game, and our own foolishness was the only thing that allowed the respectable score to be possible. Hopefully Miller can recover in time for Clemson; he was having such a great game. On Clemson, I think it’s going to be the usual epic game, more like the first two and not like last year. But, if we can get pressure on Lawrence, he can be neutralized. Notre Dame was able to do it only a few times. I’m confident in our passing game, from the OL’s ability to protect Tua to him finding the open man.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Saying a 12-0 Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the playoffs is just crazy revisionist history. OU and Ohio State (and Georgia for that matter) had plenty of warts as well.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Saying a 12-0 Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the playoffs is just crazy revisionist history. OU and Ohio State (and Georgia for that matter) had plenty of warts as well.
Had Notre Dame been required to play in a conference they would have never reached the playoff. They would have lost to Clemson in the ACC and I can't think of another P5 conference that Notre Dame could have won.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Had Notre Dame been required to play in a conference they would have never reached the playoff. They would have lost to Clemson in the ACC and I can't think of another P5 conference that Notre Dame could have won.
Probably the PAC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.