Notre Dame is the reason we're gonna have to go 8 team playoff

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There is no reason what so over for a 8 team playoff, OP. Notre Dame was exposed as a fraud, and if the rest of college football is going to play for an opportunity for a 13th game, that should be enough to put any team over an undefeated Notre Dame team. Not to mention the BCS would have gotten us to the same result as the playoffs got us too, with one less game. Realistically how many damn football games should these kids play?! Are we going to have a 16-0 national champion?! That’s a regular season of NFL ball, isn’t it? Notre Dame get thei .... together and join the SEC. then you can get into the playoffs again, but in 2012 the Irish lost their jocks against us, and this year they got handled by Clemson. Notre does NOT belong in post-season play.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we should pump the breaks on saying the playoff is unneeded. Heck, I think people forget that last year the championship game was #3 UGA v. #4 Alabama. The first playoff also produced a #4 seed champion Ohio State. I don't think either of those teams were undeserving champions. Yes, we've had 3 years of chalk but it may be worth it for the 2014 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama type seasons.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I like JessN's simple solution. Someone needs to tell Notre Dame football to join a conference or they will not qualify for the playoff. Problem solved.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
There was no way to keep Notre Dame out of the playoff. They could have ranked them fourth, but they were not going to drop them behind a two loss Georgia team that got blown out by LSU, and remember that Purdue win over tOSU? UCF is the only school that could legitimately complain, and how would they have done against Clemson?

My vote would be to go back to the BCS. All this extra game does is get people hurt. And yeah, I realize we would not have won it last year.

Rtr

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If they go to eight teams, the first round would need to be on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
A Playoff expansion won’t happen any time soon.

This is the only time ND has made it in the CFP and they probably won’t get the benefit of the doubt the Next time if there is one.

What is amazing is that Alabama has been in all 5 CFP’s and Clemson has been in 4 Straight...

The two about to face off for the Fourth straight time!!!!

I think we’ve found out it’s Alabama and Clemson........aaaaand then there’s a gap to UGA, OU, tOSU, ND etc.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
If we lose to UCF, the demand for the 8 team will be even higher. I hope you guys pull for LSU, as hard as it may be, so that UCF can be silenced. We are down 6 starters on D...
I want LSU to clober UCF. I typically root for SEC teams to win their bowl games. I didn’t necessarily root for the barn, but I was glad they won. It would have been much worse for the conference had they lost.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
We need a restructuring of the whole season and cf as a whole

Or go back to the BCS format

60 teams
6 - ten team conferences
9 game conference schedule
10 game schedule with one opponent being from other power conference
8 team playoff with two at large
No more complaining

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Can't wait for the "Cinderella Stories" of teams that play 12 directional schools, come in totally healthy, and win due to a couple of lucky breaks and sympathetic officiating. I think Notre Dame makes a better case for going back to two teams.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
We have to live with this current system until the contract ends, which is in 5 more years. After that I think they'll go to an 8 team playoff. Hopefully, it isn't any more than 8 teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.