Notre Dame is the reason we're gonna have to go 8 team playoff

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
An eight team playoff is a terrible idea. You will never remove all controversy or argument that the 5th or 9th or whateverth team should have gotten in over someone else.
The argument that the #5 team could have beaten the #1 team is a lot more compelling than the idea that the #9 team could. In my mind there is absolutely a line there somewhere. It's not about how many teams get to participate so much as making sure that the "best" teams who have a legitimate shot at winning get a chance to showcase that. I'm fine with 4, 6, or 8 team playoffs but anything beyond that seems pointless.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
First, I like the 4 team playoff. It puts to rest most of the legit arguments of "what if". Yes, Notre Dame was undefeated, but over rated. So Im glad they were put in their place. But I preferred the BCS method of selection over an "elite" group making the selection.

Second, IF we are forced to expand, I prefer a 6 team playoff, with the 1&2 getting a bye. It minimizes how many are included, and rewards those at the top. Besides, its so easy to go way overboard with this. Just look at basketball. March Madness is one of the reasons I just cant get into the sport. Regular season is meaningless.

Third, Geaux Tigers!! I always pull for SEC teams out of conference. Its like that cousin that you hate - but he's still family. But in this case I want UCF to get absolutely stomped. So even more than usual - GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Whoever is the governing body of the CFB Playoff Committee needs to have a sit down with the committee members and develop a definitive process to do a better job in selecting the teams. As someone mentioned in another post there is always one team that should not be in the final 4 teams. FSU in year one, MSU in year two, Washington in year 3 and last year Clemson. Notre Dame and BYU need to be put on notice that if they don't affiliate with a conference they cannot participate in the Playoff.

I believe anybody would agree that either UGA or tOSU would have been much stronger opponents than ND. I understand they both had an ugly regular season loss, but that aside, the committee should have been able to see that they were both better than ND. IMO this is the very type situation I was afraid of with having human decision making. If something is not done to change this then the 8 team playoff will happen and happen soon.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The committee can't manage it, but it needed to look at the ND 12-0 record the same as it has UCF's the last two years. If they are going to be treated as an equal, and not given special proriety, they should play a full ACC schedule, or else join the B1G.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
With the current 4 team playoff it's been Alabama and Clemson in the championship game 3 out of the last 4 seasons quite simply because they have been the best two teams. Most college football pundits agree about that so I don't know why we need an 8 team playoff to prove it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's funny to me how the media could "know" that Syracuse (87), WVA (88), Texas A/M (92), WVA again (93), and Tulane (98) were NOT the best teams and deserved no consideration, but now they find it all difficult and confusing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's funny to me how the media could "know" that Syracuse (87), WVA (88), Texas A/M (92), WVA again (93), and Tulane (98) were NOT the best teams and deserved no consideration, but now they find it all difficult and confusing.
Well you see, they made those decisions instead of somebody else.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well you see, they made those decisions instead of somebody else.
Read my mind.

They're just mad that they aren't deciding.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
There will be howls when the SEC gets 3-4 teams in and the NCG ends up being a rematch. If they do, I hope to God that they will force all independents to join conferences, all conferences must have CG, reduce the regular season, and make it with a number of losses requirement (no 3-4 loss champions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The NCAA shouldn't force ND or any other team to join a conference...
Just pass a rule that only conference teams can play in Bowl games/playoffs.
Make the choice theirs.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
There is no reason what so over for a 8 team playoff, OP. Notre Dame was exposed as a fraud, and if the rest of college football is going to play for an opportunity for a 13th game, that should be enough to put any team over an undefeated Notre Dame team. Not to mention the BCS would have gotten us to the same result as the playoffs got us too, with one less game. Realistically how many damn football games should these kids play?! Are we going to have a 16-0 national champion?! That’s a regular season of NFL ball, isn’t it? Notre Dame get thei .... together and join the SEC. then you can get into the playoffs again, but in 2012 the Irish lost their jocks against us, and this year they got handled by Clemson. Notre does NOT belong in post-season play.
I DON'T WANT ND IN THE SEC. Let those Prima Donnas play in some other Power 5 Conference.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
JMO, but before they think about expanding there needs to be standardization of scheduling first. All P5 teams play 9 conference games plus 2-3 other P5 teams. Everyone plays conference championship game or nobody does. Once scheduling is standardized then the playoff expansion topic could be seriously discussed.

IRT Notre Dame, they're now 0-6 in BCS or New Year's Six Bowls. They've lost by an average of 24 points per game in those matchups:

2000 Oregon State L 41-9
2005 Ohio State L 34-20
2006 LSU L 41-14
2012 Alabama L 42-14
2015 Ohio State L 44-28
2018 Clemson L 30-3

I guess the committee is supposed to look at each year as it's own but I think they have to start considering Notre Dame's dysmal performance against elite teams going forward. Going undefeated against their schedule (and squeaking by a lot of the games) should not be enough anymore. I think they'll need style points to go along with their undefeated season to get in again.

Lastly, regarding the overall expansion subject, 8 out of the 10 semifinal games haven't been close with average margin of victory at 22 points. Doesn't bode well for competitive games if they expand to 8 teams..

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
If we lose to UCF, the demand for the 8 team will be even higher. I hope you guys pull for LSU, as hard as it may be, so that UCF can be silenced. We are down 6 starters on D...
Definitely pulling for LSU in this one, and I have a strong dislike for LSU (just as many of their fans have an equal or stronger dislike for us). In most years, I am not one of those "SEC! SEC! SEC!" guys. But I am just so tired of hearing it from other fan bases that I want to see some teams crushed by the guys we play regularly that are part of our "weak schedule." As much as I hate Auburn, I was actually smiling watching them put a beating on Purdue after all the crap I have heard from Ohio State fans (and I typically like OSU more than I really have reason to...I guess it is a respect for their old school mentality...not sure but I do like them more than I like most teams).

Anyway, I am concerned about LSU players once again deciding to skip the bowl. I hate the idea of UCF once again beating an SEC team and those players taking the game off increase the likelihood of that happening. I want to see UCF get curb-stomped.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There are currently 4 Independent teams in the FBS. Notre Dame, BYU, UMass and Army. UMass and Army should join a Group of 5 conference. ND and BYU should join either the PAC12 bringing it to 14 teams or the BigXII bringing it to actually 12 teams. I would also prefer a general realignment of all the Power 5 conferences, but that is for another day.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
If you go to two teams, Bama does not play for and win the title in 2017 as they were considered the fourth best team that year. Plus I believe this year Georgia should have gotten in over ND. But could you imagine the uproar if an undefeated ND does not get in, some people would absolutely lose it, but that would have been the right thing to do. Yes Georgia did have 2 losses but they went through the grind of the SEC and on film, were clearly a superior team.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If you go to two teams, Bama does not play for and win the title in 2017 as they were considered the fourth best team that year.
That's true but in the initial year of the CFP when we were the #1 seed we simply could have played #2 Oregon and probably won the title instead of having to play #4 Ohio State and losing, so the 4 team playoff helped us one season and hurt us another. Bottom line is I see no benefit thus far for Bama with 4 team playoff vs. BCS 2 team formula.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.