Did we call a fair catch on a kickoff?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I was never clear on what happened on the kickoff from the Okie 10 yard line. It looked like someone on our return team called a fair catch. Was that it?:conf3: If it was I thought the ball on kickoffs was a live ball. Does that mean a player can call a fair catch on the onside kick as well?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Robinson did - and yes you can call for a fair catch on an onside kick if the ball hasn’t hit the ground. Problem is most of them do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
It looked like Robinson was pointing to the ball. Maybe Jacobs lost the ball and Robinson was trying to point it out to him.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Thanks for answering the question. Along with back-to-back-to-back penalties killing a drive I thought that fair catch was just -- well I was at loss for words.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
[FONT=&quot]Got this from another site: "Guy that calls fair catch has to catch it or the ball goes to where it’s caught."[/FONT]

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for answering the question. Along with back-to-back-to-back penalties killing a drive I thought that fair catch was just -- well I was at loss for words.
I agree - you have the ball near mid-field if not for that mistake.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Really hurt the momentum. Should have gotten the ball around midfield, but ended up at our 21.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Got this from another site: "Guy that calls fair catch has to catch it or the ball goes to where it’s caught."
If that is true, it is a stupid rule given the 25 yard line rule. It directly contradicts the new rule.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If that is true, it is a stupid rule given the 25 yard line rule. It directly contradicts the new rule.
That's what some of the beat writers were saying last night. Going to guess that was told to them in the press box.

As others said, the play slowed down Bama's momentum. That drive was the three and out. Even a three and out with the ball at midfield (where Jacobs was going to return to, if not to the house), a three and out completely flips the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I haven't reviewed again; did Robinson do this regarding a fair catch signal?

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2. A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has
obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above
his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.