Link: Obligatory "Alabama didn't stop us" from the opposing team's quarterback

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Obligatory "Alabama didn't stop us" from the opposing team's quarterback

While I don't disagree with the sentiment of what you guys are saying, I do think we might have started that strategy a little early. Several our drives were snuffed our because they were long, methodical drives and we ended making drive killing mistakes. I think had we stayed aggressive in the first half and a couple of drives in the 3rd quarter, the score would have been 50+ and the game would have so far our reach OU probably folds up in the middle of the 3rd. Being that we shut it down when we did, they played like they were still going to win the game, because they had done that all year long.

I feel like the defense had to play 60 minutes against a highly motivated team unnecessarily.
iirc, we only punted twice and had one drive that ended in a fg instead of a td. the rest were td's plus victory formation. so it's not really accurate to say that several of our drives were snuffed out.

they never got to within closer than 11 and the only reason (imo) that it seemed like much of a game was the fan girl actions of herbstreit and fowler when ou started showing a pulse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If the game lasted 6 quarters instead of 4 we still would have won by atleast 2 scores so why are they so focused on acting like quarters 2-4 was a come back?
At the end of the game, Murray was just as gassed as Alabama's defense. Meanwhile, Alabama's offense was hitting on all cylinders. If that game had gone on, the lead would have gotten wider and wider. With another 30 minutes of football, I think that Alabama wins by 30-40 points.

Also, the way they were scoring was slow, clock eating. I think only one was a quick strike and that one was more of a blown coverage on a scramble when Murray was running for his life. The defense did its job.
They only outscored us in one quarter. ONE. When we got the ball back with around 3 mins left in the third quarter, I made a comment in the game thread that I bet we score every time we get the ball from here on out except/unless we're taking the air out of the ball at the end. And guess what, that's exactly what happened. We were in complete control of that game. Physically and mentally. And, more importantly, from a coaching/strategy perspective.

OU scored on every single drive of the second half. The problem with that for them - and the genius of our coaching staff - is that they only got the ball four times in the second half and had to run 40 plays total to score those four times. That's not good when you're down 21 at the half and the opposition scores TDs on two of their three drives in the second half. After they cut the lead to 28-7, they got the ball six times. Only one drive was less than six plays; and that was because the clock ran out at the half on them. Three of those six drives consisted of 10 plays or more. Not optimal when you're trailing by three scores and the other team is continuing to score.

We slowed the game down after we went up 28-0. There's no denying that. What OU apparently doesn't realize is that we made THEM do it. LOL.

I don't think Riley knows what it means to stop yourself. He should see what happened on the one Alabama drive close to the end of 2nd qtr. We shot ourselves in the foot time and time again and still got 3. Mr. Riley, Bama shot your team in the foot time after time after time. When we got up 28-0 Bama let off the gas against your team!

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017

At the end of the game, Murray was just as gassed as Alabama's defense. Meanwhile, Alabama's offense was hitting on all cylinders. If that game had gone on, the lead would have gotten wider and wider. With another 30 minutes of football, I think that Alabama wins by 30-40 points.
You are spot on....Murray was spent at the end of the game....ironically our time of possession was the only thing that allowed him to catch his breath....Bama's defense making him drive the field instead of quick strikes (except for the one long pass as mentioned earlier) coupled with the hits he took isn't the type game he is accustomed to playing....some have mentioned him going to the NFL but I believe he would struggle because what he faced playing Bama is closer to what he would face weekly.....IMO he can have a longer and possibly more lucrative career in baseball....

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I don't know. I don't think teams we beat owe it to us to bow down and kiss our feet and proclaim us the greatest team ever the way some of you think they should. Saying things like they stopped themselves and such is just a way of them expressing that they still think they have a good team that played well and they are proud of. My feeling about Murray and the Heisman after that game is this: Tua played the better game, especially in terms of passing (his completion efficiency was absurd), than Murray. But Murray made some really good plays with his feet and did have me worried the entire game that he could possibly bring them back. He didn't manage to do so, but there is nothing really from his performance that makes me say "oh, this kid did not deserve the Heisman at all." He had a bad first quarter but IMO played really well the rest of the way. Again, Tua played better, but I would not strip him of his Heisman based on that game (the way I was tempted to say they should do with other players, such as Gino Toretta).

Sooner fans, you should be proud of your team. They got badly beaten early, and many would have just folded up their tents and went home at that point. Your guys did not. They fought hard and well until the end.

Bama fans, let's stop taking everything other teams say as such a slap in the face. The losing team needs a reason to feel positive about themselves as well. We got the win. Let's move on to the next one.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017

I don't know. I don't think teams we beat owe it to us to bow down and kiss our feet and proclaim us the greatest team ever the way some of you think they should. Saying things like they stopped themselves and such is just a way of them expressing that they still think they have a good team that played well and they are proud of. My feeling about Murray and the Heisman after that game is this: Tua played the better game, especially in terms of passing (his completion efficiency was absurd), than Murray. But Murray made some really good plays with his feet and did have me worried the entire game that he could possibly bring them back. He didn't manage to do so, but there is nothing really from his performance that makes me say "oh, this kid did not deserve the Heisman at all." He had a bad first quarter but IMO played really well the rest of the way. Again, Tua played better, but I would not strip him of his Heisman based on that game (the way I was tempted to say they should do with other players, such as Gino Toretta).

Sooner fans, you should be proud of your team. They got badly beaten early, and many would have just folded up their tents and went home at that point. Your guys did not. They fought hard and well until the end.

Bama fans, let's stop taking everything other teams say as such a slap in the face. The losing team needs a reason to feel positive about themselves as well. We got the win. Let's move on to the next one.
Oklahoma's offense could go toe to toe with Bama if they had even a mediocre defense....Murray's frustration was evident on the sideline when they would close to within 11 and then Bama just drove down the field and stretched the lead....not being critical of Riley but in a game like this one I don't understand kicking field goals especially after being behind 28-0.....I would have put the game in Murray's hand to live or die...Oklahoma could be a force to be reckoned with in the future if they adjust their philosophy around defense....what they are doing works well in their conference but will not produce a national championship against Bama, Clemson, GA or FL (who I think will be a player in the near future).......

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

He said that Alabama stopped them in the first quarter. He is right. After that, Alabama's defensive intensity lessened and you really didn't stop them again.

Murray was very humble in that interview. Watch it. Read his body language. Stop creating drama or disrespect where none exists.
I definitely agree with this. Let the kid think they would've won with just a bit more time. Nothing wrong with that.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

You are spot on....Murray was spent at the end of the game....ironically our time of possession was the only thing that allowed him to catch his breath....Bama's defense making him drive the field instead of quick strikes (except for the one long pass as mentioned earlier) coupled with the hits he took isn't the type game he is accustomed to playing....some have mentioned him going to the NFL but I believe he would struggle because what he faced playing Bama is closer to what he would face weekly.....IMO he can have a longer and possibly more lucrative career in baseball....
I agree that he would be better off playing baseball because he would probably get squashed playing NFL guys every week. However, I must tip my cap to him because he is definitely tougher than I expected. I thought if we hit him as much as we did that he would be done. He even got up after Q squashed him. He is very quick and has a very lively arm. I was impressed with him. I was more impressed with our defense, but that only made me more impressed with him. I'm ready for Clemson.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

This is exactly why the best Bama fans can see when another team is just better. It isn't always that our team isn't "giving effort" or "needs to replace the QB". I wish our fans could all see clearly when the other team is just better. UGA looked like the better team in the first half against Bama in the SEC title, but we made adjustments late, and UGA showed they are the lesser coached team late. That's why Bama won. In the OU game, BAMA WAS JUST BETTER in that first 20 minutes particularly, then we slacked off because OU looked like a dead corpse. They weren't dead, which is a credit to their coaches and their players to keep them motivated.

You can't spot the best team in the history of college football 28 points and expect to win. Bama took it, and then let up.

Another telling sign to me? The fact that we left the game with only one significant injury of note, and we might get him back. If this was against a top caliber SEC team, both teams would be the walking wounded leaving that field.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

All that needs to be said is this: In the only opportunity to have the Heisman Trophy winner face the Heisman Trophy runner-up, the runner-up showed the voters the error of their choices. In the only game where each quarterback had to face the other quarterback’s team, the one voted as Most Outstanding came up wanting.

Poetic justice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.