Link: Obligatory "Alabama didn't stop us" from the opposing team's quarterback

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Re: Obligatory "Alabama didn't stop us" from the opposing team's quarterback

Conversely, your defense never stopped anybody. The game requires some participation there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So...he yanked himself down with one hand eh?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Yeah, we're just lucky, not good. We're lucky that offenses have their worst game of the season against us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

He said that Alabama stopped them in the first quarter. He is right. After that, Alabama's defensive intensity lessened and you really didn't stop them again.

Murray was very humble in that interview. Watch it. Read his body language. Stop creating drama or disrespect where none exists.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Well in all fairness the alleged best player in college football was 19/37 with quite a few noticeably bad passes. If he had a day like Tua had, where he basically didn't make a single bad pass things would have gone differently.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

we just continued to fight -- and pretty d*** close to winning the game
Um, lol, no. We kneeled to keep from beating your team by 18 points.

Getting conservative, and bleeding the clock was probably the smart thing to do, as far as controlling the tempo and getting the W, but part of me really, REALLY wishes we had actually went uptempo and dropped 70+ on these clowns. Us getting conservative gave them the illusion that they were coming back, because that's what they've done all year long. If we had stayed aggressive and dropped 3 or 4 more TD's on them, we wouldn't be talking about this today.

"As you saw, they stopped us the first quarter, we stopped ourselves, but hats off to them," Murray said.

This is funny. Bama was hitting on all cylinders and built a 28-0 zip lead then coasted. If anything they are lucky the pedal wasn’t kept to the preverbal metal.

Afterward, coach Lincoln Riley said the Sooners played "their worst ball" in the beginning of the game”

It isn’t like it got all that much better. Bama relaxed. It’s hard to keep the edge when being up 28-0.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I beg to differ on them “stopping themselves” in the first half. You are not stopping yourself when a LB is sling you down with one hand. Stopping yourself is what Alabama was doing by making unforced penalties to kill drives.

Kudos to him and OU for getting up off the mat at the 9 count, and fighting back. But the game was never in doubt.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

This shows the coaching mentality in the Big12 and why there is no defense. The coaches simply don't respect when good defense is played. Whenever they lose a game they never think it's because of good defense by the opponent but rather poor execution by their offense. I bet when looking at game film after losses they spend very little time on things they could have done better defensively and instead simply look at why their offense didn't score more points. I realize this was Murray speaking but I think Lincoln Riley would share his views.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

He said that Alabama stopped them in the first quarter. He is right. After that, Alabama's defensive intensity lessened and you really didn't stop them again.
Murray was very humble in that interview. Watch it. Read his body language. Stop creating drama or disrespect where none exists.
I've watched it and I still can't find the humbleness you speak of. I believe he created the only drama with his "we came 'darn' close to winning" comment, but when I look back at the drive charts, they never got closer than 11 and never had the ball with a chance to get the deficit less than that. Maybe in the big 12 being within 11 is counted as an "near win." Murray gained no respect in this camp with his comments or performance last night. A good chuck of his yards, like Watson's a few years ago, came when we were willing to trade yardage/points for time consumed. Enough about the sooners, moving on to better things.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I don’t know about others but I didn’t ever feel this game could go OU’s way, especially when we went up 28-0. I was not once nervous in this game like I was against GA, but if they think they came close, okay.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I don't see him being a jerk in that interview. Did we actually expect him to say, "Yeah, they beat the crap out of us, and it could have been much worse. We really didn't belong on the same field with them." ???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't see him being a jerk in that interview. Did we actually expect him to say, "Yeah, they beat the crap out of us, and it could have been much worse. We really didn't belong on the same field with them." ???
Yes, that is what some Alabama fans expect. But this is common of any fan base. We want the other team to tell us how great our team was. Doesn't work that way.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

Come back? Seems every time they scored in the 2nd half, save for one, we answered with a score of our own. They never got closer than 11 points. But, whateveh!

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I know Saban doesn’t like to run the score up, and I can respect that.......I was hoping Jacobs would have broken free and got that last 6 points to make it a 3
score game......

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

I don’t know about others but I didn’t ever feel this game could go OU’s way, especially when we went up 28-0. I was not once nervous in this game like I was against GA, but if they think they came close, okay.
After the initial beat down I think Bama lightened up on the accelerator allowing OU to move the ball. When Bama needed to it scored again and again to keep the Sooners at arms length. The game was never in doubt after the initial left hook.

Although Murray's comments are frustrating from a Bama perspective, it's not unusual. Gator players said the same thing after we beat them this year. In the end it doesn't matter, just go and whip Clemson and bring the Natty back to the SEC again!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I know Saban doesn’t like to run the score up, and I can respect that.......I was hoping Jacobs would have broken free and got that last 6 points to make it a 3
score game......
Along with many spending the weekend in Vegas.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

People treated USCw with glowing praise. Reggie Bush was treated as the greatest player of his generation and Carrol was viewed as a genius

Yet Bama is on the verge of winning 6 in 10 and Coach Saban could win his 7th passing Coach Bryant, yet..... neither are really discussed.

So call it what you want but OU never had a shot to win the game. And by not acknowledging it is a bit disrespectful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.