Early thoughts on Clemson

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Trevor Lawrence is going to be harder to deal with than Kyler Murray if we don’t get pressure on him. Trevor is kinda like Jake Fromm. Etienne is a hell of a running back.

If we make the same dumb mistakes as we did against Oklahoma then we are going to be in a dog fight. If we play our best game and they play theirs then we beat them by 2 scores. Clemson is where they are for a reason, and they are better than they were last year. Hopefully we can get to Lawrence early and often and coast to 18. But I’m predicting a 6-10 point victory

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Trevor Lawrence is going to be harder to deal with than Kyler Murray if we don’t get pressure on him.
That goes without saying - any quality QB is going to be a problem if you give them time. It is a good thing that Alabama is not going to give him time.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Bama's weakness is lack of depth on D. They were obviously fatigued in the second half. Need to build a lead on Clemson also. I don't think Clemson's O line is a good as the Sooners so that will help. But Clemson is playing very well. so Bama better clean up their game some in this one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bama's weakness is lack of depth on D. They were obviously fatigued in the second half. Need to build a lead on Clemson also. I don't think Clemson's O line is a good as the Sooners so that will help. But Clemson is playing very well. so Bama better clean up their game some in this one.
Two things led t that fatigue - the time off and the temp/humidity. Neither of those will be a problem in Cali.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Is Texas A&M the toughest team Clemson has played all year? I’d say yes. If so, the gap in talent and speed is going to be profound. They have good on good in practice but it’s not the same. Play our game and to our ability and Bama wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I would throw out the Notre Dame game from a Clemson D perspective. Under Kelly Notre Dame often has a quality OL but this was not one of their stronger units. This was a physical mismatch up front. Maybe if they could bring back the 2017 OL for this game then it could've been a contest. It was telling that in a big moment (4th down in 2nd quarter) Clemson was more than happy to put a LB/S hybrid on ND's best WR Miles Boykin in the slot AND he was trailing him step for step on a slot fade concept THEN defended the pass! This was an across the board mismatch and games like this are for the partisans to make youtube highlight reels not for analysis.

The Lawrence suspension was no big deal versus Notre Dame but I believe it looms large for this matchup. Clemson's DBs have been burned a bunch this season. Venables likes to load the box up and work line games and stunts to isolate his rushers in one on ones. He'll leave his DBs on islands, force you to pass, and bet he'll make you throw it away or take a sack before they get burned. Unsurprisingly, the best job we've done against their defense was in 2015 when Coker was playing his best ball late in the season. 2016 and 2017 were noted struggles for passing game consistency and accordingly Venables did a pretty good job of giving his offense a chance to win (31 and 24 points). Because of Lawrence being out we will run well enough to force Venables to stay true to his scheme and load up the box. If we can block up those blitzes then we're gonna get explosive plays. This game hinges on Tua's ankle/knee being 100% because we're gonna need some extension/secondary offense at times.

I think Notre Dame did show some positive things for us w/r/t to Clemson's offense. Until they started having back seven guys drop out of the game, they were frustrating Lawrence a bit. Other than one complete front bust that led to an Etienne long TD run, Clemson was mostly contained on the ground. They're still not quite blueblood level on the offensive front for whatever reason. Good but not great would be my prognosis. Notre Dame's lacking depth on defense really became the sticking point as Clemson harassed the replacements due to injuries for several long TD throws. Notre Dame did a poor job with Renfrow on 1st/3rd downs too. It is hard to cover him because they do a good job of moving him around to matchup on backers if you're zoning and leveraging option routes if you just stick a nickel corner on him in man coverage. Confusing Lawrence and getting deflections at the LOS seems to be the key for defending these possession throws.

The key for this game is how we matchup with their 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE/H-B, 3 WR). This is their preferred base personnel grouping to operate out of for runs or passes. If we can contain their run with 6 as we have in each matchup thus far then mix coverages on Lawrence then I think we can force him into bad throws assuming we can collapse the pocket on him. He's a good runner but he's not Kyler Murray. He'll probably bust us on a scramble a few times but I don't see 111 yards rushing in his future.

My early prediction is Alabama 35 Clemson 20. I think Tua throws for 4 TDs again. Most of them will probably be long throws. His completion percentage will be about his average but we have a few drives killed by sacks or holds forced by their DL. We run for about 150 yards as a team. Jacobs and N. Harris are the top performers though neither has a big game by yardage.

Clemson made the smart move to Lawrence with this game in mind but I think Saban's noted success against Freshmen quarterbacks will continue next week. He'll play well but have a few 3rd downs where he doesn't make a good throw and maybe a huge turnover that results in a score.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So I’m assuming yes, but the 3 players will be suspended for the title game as well? I saw something about an appeal process, so I didn’t know what exactly that meant. But IMO, Dexter’s absence will be felt much more in this game against us than it was against ND.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So I’m assuming yes, but the 3 players will be suspended for the title game as well? I saw something about an appeal process, so I didn’t know what exactly that meant. But IMO, Dexter’s absence will be felt much more in this game against us than it was against ND.
Yes, they will be suspended for this game as well. Dexter is a big loss for Clemson, mainly because of depth though Dexter was the starter for a reason.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
After watching ND pressure Lawrence all afternoon yesterday, I expect Bama will be in the backfield all night long...
Bingo. Same here. Unless ND's DL is a top 2-3 unit (I have no idea), there's no reason to suspect that Bama won't be able to get consistent pressure as well. And I believe we'll actually make tackles behind the line of scrimmage as opposed to ND, who seemed to be be playing 'two-below' with Lawrence.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, they will be suspended for this game as well. Dexter is a big loss for Clemson, mainly because of depth though Dexter was the starter for a reason.
They go from 1.7 YPC to 3.0 YPC without him on the field. He is their best run stopper, and it isn't close.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bingo. Same here. Unless ND's DL is a top 2-3 unit (I have no idea), there's no reason to suspect that Bama won't be able to get consistent pressure as well. And I believe we'll actually make tackles behind the line of scrimmage as opposed to ND, who seemed to be be playing 'two-below' with Lawrence.
ND is #36 in team sacks - Alabama is #6. ND is #64 in TFL - Alabama is # 18. Not sure about QB pressures, but Alabama is clearly better at getting in the backfield and disrupting an offense than ND.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What is the appeal process for? I guess I’m just used to hearing about appeals in the NFL more than in college FB.
There have been times when players could prove that they did not take the substance - that their positive result came from something else. It is very rare, as most players are guilty as charged because you are guilty if you took a product that had the substance, even if it was not on the label.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What is the appeal process for? I guess I’m just used to hearing about appeals in the NFL more than in college FB.
There's no appeal for this that will happen before next week if at all. His A and B sample failed. It is cut and dry here. He's serving 6 games minimum if not a full calendar year of competition.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Clemson will be the best and most balanced team that we have faced all year imo, though Georgia is very good. Lawrence is a massive upgrade from Kelly Bryant but being a drop-back passer still, I think, creates a much more favorable matchup for us. He will be under relentless pressure all night. Still, to win, I think we will need better play from a certain DB and another certain LB. I’m confident that the coaching staff and the players involved can rise to the occasion and make that happen.
Didn't you basically say that about Oklahoma?

When the dust settles, Georgia will have been the best team Bama faced all year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So a few responses... if Bama is better at wr we are talking 1a and 1b. If Tua is the greatest qb ever (and may be) it will be proven by winning next Monday, he isn't yet. Clemson is significantly better than last year, not sure where someone can think otherwise (not just at qb, across the board).
I'll give you better on the offensive side on the ball though the amount is up for debate.

On the defensive side of the ball, however...

Do me a favor and go down the list of potential defensive starters for this game and show me the starters you guys have that are better than last year's. 'Cause I'm not seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.