Houston fires Major Applewhite after 2 seasons (and hires WVU's Holgersen)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Houston fires Major Applewhite after 2 seasons

I claim no insider info at all, but I'm not sure he chose to leave Alabama.
My gut feeling at the time was that when Mack Brown called Saban for a reference on Muschamp, the answer was along these lines. "Yeah, Muschamp is good. Why don't you take him out of my hair(he was at the barn), and while you're at it take your boy Applewhite back also." Brown hired Muschamp on 01/04/2008. He hired Applewhite on 01/16/2008.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's like once you break into CFB, no matter how badly you perform, someone will hire you. Derek Freaking Dooley is still coaching, for goodness' sake...
It is a brotherhood, to be sure, but plenty of coaches end up broke after getting a shot and failing. Like most jobs, it is a meritocracy. Thing is - even bad coaches know way more about football than well versed fans. I am reminded of this every time I watch football on Thanksgiving with my family. I know a great deal about football, but I keep my mouth shut and listen when some other members of my family start breaking down plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.