Houston fires Major Applewhite after 2 seasons (and hires WVU's Holgersen)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"We'd like to thank Coach Applewhite and his family for their commitment to the success of the Houston Football program over the last four seasons including the last two as our head coach," said Houston Vice President for Athletics Chris Pezman via statement. "After a thorough evaluation of our Football program, it is my assessment our future opportunities for success are better addressed by making this very difficult decision now.

"While the immediate future may be challenging, our future at UH is very bright. We've made many sizable improvements over the past five years, and I look forward to enhancing our future success through the hiring of our next head coach. At this time we have already begun the search process for our next head coach and will not comment further until the search is concluded."
Houston fires Major Applewhite after 2 seasons

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Houston fires Major Applewhite after 2 seasons

Holgs may be their target. I think he would flourish there. WVU is in a very tough situation because their conference alignment is atrocious for team travel...I feel it has cost them a few games over the last few years.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

Here is my spin on it. Major Applewhite did not do himself any favors while coaching UH. He wasted what Tom Herman built. If the big wigs have the money to go get a “big” hire from a Big12 team then so be it. They are a College football program that is stuck in a weight class they should playing above. These guys are auditioning for a possible spot in the Big12. Go big or go home.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

This is why you don’t let billionaires with no football knowledge run your program

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...inistrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html
Eh, the pearl clutching media will write one of these for any coaching termination where the coach in question is remotely likable and the program isn't a fully-involved structure fire. We took our lumps after terminating Shula. They're usually wrong. I think this guy is wrong too. Applewhite was a failure. He took over a team that has power conference talent - at least amongst the first string - in a weak conference but he's averaged an 8-5 record in two seasons. Holgs is going to do very well in Houston. He will maximize their talent on offense and surprisingly WVU was never quite OU awful on defense either. This will get them back on the trajectory Herman, Sumlin, and Briles had them on. Again, the writer likes to point out that Applewhite was beating Houston's historical winning percentage but how does he compare to the last decade of Houston football? I don't even have the numbers and I'm sure it is unfavorable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Eh, the pearl clutching media will write one of these for any coaching termination where the coach in question is remotely likable and the program isn't a fully-involved structure fire. We took our lumps after terminating Shula. They're usually wrong. I think this guy is wrong too. Applewhite was a failure. He took over a team that has power conference talent - at least amongst the first string - in a weak conference but he's averaged an 8-5 record in two seasons. Holgs is going to do very well in Houston. He will maximize their talent on offense and surprisingly WVU was never quite OU awful on defense either. This will get them back on the trajectory Herman, Sumlin, and Briles had them on. Again, the writer likes to point out that Applewhite was beating Houston's historical winning percentage. But how does he compare to the last decade of Houston football? I don't even have the numbers and I'm sure it is unfavorable.
Yeah but we all knew how this would turn out. If they wanted to splash and audition for the Big XII then they should’ve went with Kiffin or Charlie Strong. Tillman Ferrita made this hire look even stupider by detailing the specifics after Applewhite was hired.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

This is why you don’t let billionaires with no football knowledge run your program

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...inistrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html
Great read. This was rich:
Hiring Holgorsen will mean Fertitta can tell the country club set that he helped finance a coup of luring a Big 12 coach to an AAC school. But in classic amateur Houston fashion, they’d long decided this was the course of action but wanted to wait for Holgorsen’s buyout to decrease on Dec. 31 from $2.5 million to $1 million. They’re basically trying to buy their way into the Big 12, but may occasionally need a GroupOn.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

Yep, just read that UH is working on finalizing a deal with Holgorsen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don’t see Houston getting in the Big XII. Why would Texas allow that? It would be like Florida giving the green light to admit UCF. Or us allowing UAB to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Even when the old SWC was still functioning Houston was an odd fit. It seems that college teams in large metropolitan cities do not fare well in W-Ls and in attendance. I guess the competition for the entertainment dollars from the NFL, NBA, and MLB puts them at a serious disadvantage.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

After watching Major Applewhite while he was at Alabama... I'm not surprised.
It doesn't seem he got any better.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

a little bit of oldish news now, but Houston has hired Dana Holgerson. I found this quote from the linked article very interesting...

Stillwater News Press said:
Holgorsen is making a unique move, leaving a Power Five school for one outside the high revenue conferences. No coach has willingly made that move since the College Football Playoff was established in 2014.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports...cle_47c4fa42-0ee5-11e9-b747-c7eb4722cf27.html

Could this be a wave of the future or is it just the circumstances of his prior relationship with Houston and knowing WVU's path could be rough and volatile for him over the next couple years and wanting to go somewhere else after 8 yrs at WVU?

Houston might be fairly unique given it has some deep pocket & influential alumni. It has also explicitly stated it fires coaches with 8-4 records.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

a little bit of oldish news now, but Houston has hired Dana Holgerson. I found this quote from the linked article very interesting...

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports...cle_47c4fa42-0ee5-11e9-b747-c7eb4722cf27.html

Could this be a wave of the future or is it just the circumstances of his prior relationship with Houston and knowing WVU's path could be rough and volatile for him over the next couple years and wanting to go somewhere else after 8 yrs at WVU?

Houston might be fairly unique given it has some deep pocket & influential alumni. It has also explicitly stated it fires coaches with 8-4 records.
Personally, I think this is a one off opportunity for a coach needing to rehab his image for a better gig. He was never going to be the hot coaching candidate while at WVU, not even with NFL first round QB talent. Gamble on himself, pump out a couple of 10-2 , or 11-1 type years and he successfully inserts himself into coaching searches like Briles, Sumlin and Herman before him. The only real problem I see is what does this say about WVU and their isolation within a conference.

I believe he was “encouraged” to look at other opportunities.
That’s the way I remember it. Encouraged to interview I believe was the buzz phrase at the time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I heard someone say that he liked the time that he had spent in Texas with his stints at Texas Tech and Houston and had a desire to get back to that part of the country. That may be partially true but I'm sure the contract and the resources (financially) there were the greater influences. I think Dana also recognized that 2018 was suppose to be "the year" WVU became a legitimate contender for the CFP. And when that didn't materialize his year, with the departure of Grier and others, I think he realized it might be tough sledding next few years in Morgantown.

Nice to get a big contract and somewhat of a reset. However, as you said, given the fact Houston just fired an 8-4 Applewhite (although the optics around that record were terrible), it really makes you wonder how long or short of a leash Hogo will have there?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.