Rich Rodriguez to Ole Miss as OC

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IIRC there was a crap ton of attrition, the most impactful of which was Ryan Mallet transferring (supposedly on Lloyd Carr’s recommendation, no less) and they wouldn’t let him hire his preference at DC.

That’s not to say a lot of it wasn’t Rich Rod, because like a lot of those offensive gurus (think Leach or Mumme), they can be odd birds that really rub folks the wrong way.
He had a top ten recruiting class to work with the year he took over as well as after his first year. He went 3-9, then 5-7. He had the talent on the field, but he was a bad coach with bad position coaches. The players hated him, but the defections started after the 3-9 season. The failures were all his.

I am not saying that the PTB at UM are not a pain. They are. But the problem was RichRod. As soon as he left, Hoke took his players and created a winning team.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The only dual threat QB on their roster is the kid that they just signed from Allen, TX - Tisdale. Every other QB on their roster is a pro-set.
You're right..............forgot about him. OK, but not Kyler Murray. Not even close. The entire team looked lost, in the semi-final game that they lost. (The TV guys tried to equate Allen to Bama, but the other team had the speed, strength and size to look like Bama.)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
He had a top ten recruiting class to work with the year he took over as well as after his first year. He went 3-9, then 5-7. He had the talent on the field, but he was a bad coach with bad position coaches. The players hated him, but the defections started after the 3-9 season. The failures were all his.

I am not saying that the PTB at UM are not a pain. They are. But the problem was RichRod. As soon as he left, Hoke took his players and created a winning team.
And then Hoke hit his high water mark with those classes, and promptly fell apart as they moved on.

There were defections before he got there, and he had to make due with the duo of Threet and Sheridan at QB to start his career. No way that was going to end well. Manningham and Arrington also left.

Then he had Forcier and Shoelace, which improved the offense, but the D never improved. And, again, he supposedly wasn’t allowed to bring in his preference at DC, a guy that knew how to run his preferred 335.

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
I lived a stone's throw from Rich Rod. I am a little surprised by this move for a few reasons.

"Three and Out" by John Bacon was a good book on the Michigan (and to a degree, Alabama) debacle. It's about time for a sequel.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Not really - he inherited a loaded roster and ran it into the ground with his philosophy that did not match the talent. Had nothing to do with those who didn't like his offense. They only got involved after the misery was well established.
He was a cultural misfit in the Midwest. He was perfect for WVU as was Rita. Should have stayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Sometimes you’re just a bad fit. I wonder if Richt’s retirement is a case of that.

Richt’s was more him looking around at the dumpster formerly known as “The U” and knowing it wasn’t going to ever be that again. It is so far behind in facilities and every other aspect that you have to have to compete he grabbed and threw the first white thing he could find. He was way to old for the type of overhaul and energy that’s required down there. Not sure if it’s even possible.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He was a cultural misfit in the Midwest. He was perfect for WVU as was Rita. Should have stayed.

Rich and Rita might get their chance to “go home again”. With Hogo headed back to Houston, rumor is that Rich Rod’s name has come up as a possible replacement.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Will WVU give Rich Rod and Rita a 2nd chance after their current coach heads to Houston?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Just glad Rodriguez and "Big Hair" Rita did not come to Tuscaloosa. BTW, the humidity is really bad in Oxford.
This is the funniest part of the move. Mz. Big Hair was willing to live in Morgantown, and now is content to live in Oxford, with all the plastic people who play "dress up" on Saturdays. But could not lower her standards to living in T-town.

We should start a GoFundMe to buy her a year's supply of hair spray, for staying away from us.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Boy did we ever dodge a bullet in Rich Rod. Probably one of the few times I appreciated Finebaum and his cast of clowns....

Rodriguez is a slime ball.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
This is the funniest part of the move. Mz. Big Hair was willing to live in Morgantown, and now is content to live in Oxford, with all the plastic people who play "dress up" on Saturdays. But could not lower her standards to living in T-town.

We should start a GoFundMe to buy her a year's supply of hair spray, for staying away from us.
Aquanet Baby!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.