Slightly OT: Is Anyone Else Noticing The Higher Than Normal Number Of NFL HC Firings?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I know their season just ended, and this is when it is going to happen, but my phone seems to be going off every 5 minutes with another headline alert about an NFL team firing their head coach. I believe I have gotten 4 or 5 this morning plus I saw several yesterday.

I only watch the NFL to see how my former boys from Bama do, and I really don't care otherwise. But the relevance to us here might be in the increased attention that Saban gets in all this, and what kind of distraction people may try to make of it.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yes, it's called Black Monday in the NFL - but for the Packers, under the now-defunct Skunky Mike McCarthy, it's been a Black Last Seven Years, which means they got rid of him seven years after what should have been his "fire-by" date...

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
No real surprises so far....Marvin Lewis probably falls in the should have been fired last year category.....next up will be the coordinator firings the HCs on the hot seat make to buy some time.....

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
By the way, speaking of Black Monday, in Cleveland, there might be what's called a Browns Monday from a groundswell of fan support for hiring old friend Freddie Kitchens as HC. That's hiring Our Freddie over the aforementioned retread Skunky Mike McCarthy, who is expected to get the job because he's considered a little less dead (and successful) than other NFL coaching retreads.

But maybe not: This just in re Freddie's chances.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In the NFL, every team has championship expectations. Every team has an owner who is far more critical of losses than the most critical college football fan base. Coaches know that they have to win. It is a part of the gig.

Every year it feels like a slaughter is taking place on Black Monday (especially in coaching families). This year feels worse, but I don't really know if it is or not. But what I do know is that there is a ton of mediocrity in the NFL this year, and mediocrity is not tolerated.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Current head coach openings:

Bengals
Broncos
Browns
Buccaneers
Cardinals
Dolphins
Jets
Packers

Yea, that's a lot. 25% of the league to be exact..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Current head coach openings:

Bengals
Broncos
Browns
Buccaneers
Cardinals
Dolphins
Jets
Packers

Yea, that's a lot. 25% of the league to be exact..
With each of these guys, you also have about 20 other coaching and analyst jobs churning. Most of these guys just move from one team to another. But it feels horrible if you have to live through it.

ETA - Still, to put it into perspective, GM is going to let tens of thousands of employees go soon as they close 5 plants.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don’t understand Marvin Lewis holding onto his job this long. They had no place to go but down, and never won anything when they were close to the top!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wonder if the league will start moving from pass heavy to run heavy. We know everything is cyclical and there's already one team - the Ravens - who are basically running a triple option attack with Lamar Jackson at QB. They're like 7-1 or something since he took over for Flacco. Also interesting that none of the 6 highest paid QBs in the league made the playoffs and combined for only 31 wins:

Aaron Rodgers $33.5M
Matt Ryan $30M
Kirk Cousins $28M
Jimmy Garoppolo $27.5M (injured)
Matthew Stafford $27M
Derek Carr $25M

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don’t understand Marvin Lewis holding onto his job this long. They had no place to go but down, and never won anything when they were close to the top!
Marvin Lewis went 131-122-3 in 6 seasons and 0-7 in the post season. Amazing he held onto the job as long as he did. I guess consistently mediocre was good enough up until now..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.