Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..
Exactly. Omg, some people. RTR

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
His tendency is to go for the home run. Didn’t do that against OU and look what happened. We are so talented across the board that “taking what the defense gives you” is all we have to do win because we will break big ones by doing that. See Josh Jacobs.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Lots of debate here. I just don't see it as a binary, either / or, 1s and 0s kind of thing.

Tua can get better. He's human, and all humans can get better at what they do. Tom Brady can improve. And some are saying not to change anything, mainly because of the past success.

At the other extreme, some are posting as if our passing game will be broken like the Enigma code by the dreaded Clemson Tigers if we don't revamp.

We shouldn't refuse to improve simply because we've been successful thus far.

We also shouldn't wad up the best Alabama passing attack in 126 years of football, throw it away, and start all over just because it is, as all human creations are, imperfect.

It's a balancing act.

Continue to hone Tua's skills. Coach him up on throwing the ball away. Coach him up on taking what the defense gives.

But let him be him. We've never had anything like this....don't waste the incredible upside of a generational talent, simply because because you're afraid of a mistake.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For much of the season I thought that it was Tua's tendencies that had him throwing so many deep passes. We learned in one of the Film Room episodes that this was not true. We learned that the primary read on many play calls is the deep route, and that Tua was making the choice based on the correct read. I was wrong. Tua follows the progressions, deep to short, and takes what is given to him.

But what I do believe he needs to work on is his tendency to want to take that deep route when it is there, even if he doesn't have time to do so. Sometimes he simply doesn't have time because the defense is in his face and he needs to drop that pass off, even if the deep throw is there. When he holds it too long, he takes a beating.
The OP was about his having a tendency to look off one way and then throw to the other. My point was that he's too quick for that to be a problem. The throw-back is far from automatic. In fact, in the first notable one, in OT in the last NCG, it wasn't automatic. If you watch his head/eyes, before he threw back, he took a half second to make sure he had the safety frozen. For that reason, I rate this entire concern/thread as bogus...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would like to see him be a tiny bit more conservative when he gets pressure. He did it very effectively in the OU game. He quickly hit his outlet receiver because he saw the blitz. Too many times this year he does the twirl and tries to do too much instead of throwing the ball away. That is why he got injured in the UG game. That is something he will learn. He has a "turbo" speed on reading his progressions and he can put that to use when he is being pressured. He hasn't quite yet learned to throw it away and take the next play. This also pertains to the play calls. If our OC expects a lot of pressure we need to have outlets for Tua to use to reduce the potential of a negative play. IMHO, that is the only weakness I see with TUA and I am convinced that he will learn to minimize that as he gets more and more experience.
Um, how many sacks did he take? I lost count...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Give me a couple minutes to explain my thoughts. Tua is by far the most talented pre-read QB in college. He sees the field incredibly well and reads defenses as good as anyone in the game. Lst year during the Title game his game ending play was both perfect and has been somewhat of a thorn in his side this season. We all have watched as he has continued to make many very similar throws. Looking at one side of the field knowing he was going to turn and throw to the other side at the last possible moment. Dont get me wrong he goes through progressions very well at times. But he tends to go to pre snap reads on key downs more than maybe he should. I think his success in the past has reinforced this and he continues to do with success.

However, in big games with good defenses and smart coaching staffs they will use this against him and bait him into a couple throws a game he should not make. GA did this more than a couple times. Yes he was injured and not able to used his flawless footwork and technique. I know CU will be ready and have watched lots of film to know that on 3rd and medium to long with two high safeties he will look one way and throw back the other. He will also do the same on the shorter slant throws and needs to be careful they dont drop linemen into the lanes when the down and distance makes this route a good choice.

I would love for the line to give him lots of time next week to go through several progressions and find the open reciever but that likely wont happen much. My strategy would be to use a lot more curls, outs and corner routes to throw in a curve to the defense looking for slants, crossing and verticle routs.

Just something I have noticed over the year and know Dabo will have his defense expecting more of the same. I think this game will come down to can Tua face pressure and find the open man while using his feet more than normal. I see an even bigger package this week with Jalen. His feet against CU could be critical at some point in the game.
I don't buy it. Might be different if Tua was that obvious, or looked down the receiver all the way. That's not the case. It's kind of like saying Tua has a tendency to pass Left handed.
Sarcasm aside I don't really see much of a problem.
I wouldn't use Tua's Georgia game last year as a trend.
I'm not sure any Georgia game makes a trend.
Last year Georgia didn't prepare for Tua.
This year Georgia didn't prepare for Jalen.
If there is a trend in both years I'd say it's Kirby only preparing his team for one Quarterback.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Give me a couple minutes to explain my thoughts. Tua is by far the most talented pre-read QB in college. He sees the field incredibly well and reads defenses as good as anyone in the game. Lst year during the Title game his game ending play was both perfect and has been somewhat of a thorn in his side this season. We all have watched as he has continued to make many very similar throws. Looking at one side of the field knowing he was going to turn and throw to the other side at the last possible moment. Dont get me wrong he goes through progressions very well at times. But he tends to go to pre snap reads on key downs more than maybe he should. I think his success in the past has reinforced this and he continues to do with success.

However, in big games with good defenses and smart coaching staffs they will use this against him and bait him into a couple throws a game he should not make. GA did this more than a couple times. Yes he was injured and not able to used his flawless footwork and technique. I know CU will be ready and have watched lots of film to know that on 3rd and medium to long with two high safeties he will look one way and throw back the other. He will also do the same on the shorter slant throws and needs to be careful they dont drop linemen into the lanes when the down and distance makes this route a good choice.

I would love for the line to give him lots of time next week to go through several progressions and find the open reciever but that likely wont happen much. My strategy would be to use a lot more curls, outs and corner routes to throw in a curve to the defense looking for slants, crossing and verticle routs.

Just something I have noticed over the year and know Dabo will have his defense expecting more of the same. I think this game will come down to can Tua face pressure and find the open man while using his feet more than normal. I see an even bigger package this week with Jalen. His feet against CU could be critical at some point in the game.
Yeah he has a tendency to make great passes and win, he must stop that bahahahahahahaha Until someone stops him he needs to change nothing. They know it is coming yet cannot stop him. he throws where only our guy can get it, why change a winning formula?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
An essential part of our pre-playoff work is "self-scouting" by coaches and/or analysts. What are our trends/tendencies on both sides of the ball. This has to include player performance tendencies as well. I cannot imagine our coaches have not already identified this tendency.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
An essential part of our pre-playoff work is "self-scouting" by coaches and/or analysts. What are our trends/tendencies on both sides of the ball. This has to include player performance tendencies as well. I cannot imagine our coaches have not already identified this tendency.
Look - it's not even a "tendency." Again, this thread is based on a fallacy. The fallacy is that he's turning and firing blind, after having baited the opposing safety. This is simply not true. If you don't believe me, go back and look at the TD pass in the NCG and watch him check out the safety quickly before firing. This fear that he can be counter-baited is totally fabricated from whole cloth. I guess people simply have to worry about something. However, I'll be fair. If anyone can come up with one single example in all the hundreds of passes he's thrown, then I'll concede that it's a real problem and not just imaginary...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I simply cannot believe this thread and this thread title, not to mention a discussion which takes the title seriously, when a QB has thrown over 300 passes on the year with 4 INTs...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I simply cannot believe this thread and this thread title, not to mention a discussion which takes the title seriously, when a QB has thrown over 300 passes on the year with 4 INTs...
Yeah...there is one tendency I want Tua to CONTINUE....Not playing in the 4th quarter because we are up by 40 in third. And it would be perfectly fine with me if that was the case on next Monday night.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
Has anyone else noticed the unusual responses from Tua about his ankle the last several days and following the OU game?

Its almost like he is going out of his way to let everyone one know he is not 100% and its still bothering him. A couple weeks ago he ways saying he was fine and going to be 100%. It feels like its gamemanship that coach Saban is playing with CU so they are forced to spend a little extra time planning for Hurts. Maybe I am reading into this too much but it surprises me that he does not just say, I am fine or will be ready. He is giving a lot of extra details that feels unnatural to me. It’s definitely a deviation from his past interviews during the season when we all know he was hurt and he kept saying he was ok.
I watched the game with an ortho surgeon who operates on college athletes. He said that Tua's ankle will absolutely swell up and hurt after the game. ITs to be expected one month after the surgery. But said he should be fine by game time.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..
Yep hard to say he suffers at all with the numbers he put up against the best defenses in the nation week in and week out. Murray faced Big12 competition where they refuse to play defense and Lawrence plays in the ACC where they can't even recruit defensive players. Tua has done it against the best and he needs to change things? I agree with CrimsonForce, it's hard to say Tua needs to change ANYTHING. His only struggle was against Georgia this year and Miss State in which both games he was hurt. That's the only way to slow him down is to hit him in the knees or hurt his ankle. That's the ONLY WAY you slow Tua down.

I'm sorry but I would take the "normal Tua" that we've seen all year on the 7th than I would like to see a new Tua who has totally changed his game around because the normal Tua cannot be stopped unless Clemson hits him in the knees all night like MSU did.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Look - it's not even a "tendency." Again, this thread is based on a fallacy. The fallacy is that he's turning and firing blind, after having baited the opposing safety. This is simply not true. If you don't believe me, go back and look at the TD pass in the NCG and watch him check out the safety quickly before firing. This fear that he can be counter-baited is totally fabricated from whole cloth. I guess people simply have to worry about something. However, I'll be fair. If anyone can come up with one single example in all the hundreds of passes he's thrown, then I'll concede that it's a real problem and not just imaginary...
This will be my last post in this thread. It was my intent to create a thread that would get lots of discussion from both sides while identifying there are some obvious tendencies with pre-reads. Please go back and read all my post. Not once did I ever say Tua needed to revamp or change his style of play. I even spelled it out and said he needs to break these tendencies by doing 1-2 plays differently. That is not changing his style or play making ability. I have listened to numerous other analyst, coaches and QBs say this exact same thing over the last couple of weeks.

I recently sat at the same table directly across from two former and one current Pro Bowl NFL QBs in the last month who brought this subject up and listened as they identified his pre-reads could come back to bite him if he does not change it up some on key downs.

Not once did I call anyone in this thread an idiot nor infer they were because we had differing opinions.

I respect your dedication and knowledge Earl as much as anyone on this board and hope you will understand I say this will compete respect. Your breakdown of the NC game winning play and how Tua checked before throwing is inaccurate. He may or may not have looked to see where the safety was, we don’t know. But what we do know for a fact was he rotated his hips and set his feet to make the throw before ever starting his head turn to the left side. This observation and exact comment came directly from a 3 multi time pro bowl NFL QBs, not me. But after rewatching several times they were exactly correct. He did all the mechanics for the throw before turning his head. He know exactly where he was throwing and was counting on his receiver to beat his man to that spot.

I give Tua credit for being the best gifted QB Bama has ever had. And he is going to even get better. I wanted him at QB last year but am glad things worked out the way they did for a number of reasons. Once again my reason for the thread was based on years of coaching defenses and being around the college game and coaches for decades. I am always lookimg for tendencies and ways to beat oposing teams as well as our own teams weaknesses or tendencies.

I apologize for creating a thread that seems to have sparked so much negativity. That was not my intent and I will keep future volitile personal thoughts and feedback from fellow friends and experts of the game to myself. I want to contribute to the board not create discourse. This thread obviously did the later for several people so I apologize.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This will be my last post in this thread. It was my intent to create a thread that would get lots of discussion from both sides while identifying there are some obvious tendencies with pre-reads. Please go back and read all my post. Not once did I ever say Tua needed to revamp or change his style of play. I even spelled it out and said he needs to break these tendencies by doing 1-2 plays differently. That is not changing his style or play making ability. I have listened to numerous other analyst, coaches and QBs say this exact same thing over the last couple of weeks.

I recently sat at the same table directly across from two former and one current Pro Bowl NFL QBs in the last month who brought this subject up and listened as they identified his pre-reads could come back to bite him if he does not change it up some on key downs.

Not once did I call anyone in this thread an idiot nor infer they were because we had differing opinions.

I respect your dedication and knowledge Earl as much as anyone on this board and hope you will understand I say this will compete respect. Your breakdown of the NC game winning play and how Tua checked before throwing is inaccurate. He may or may not have looked to see where the safety was, we don’t know. But what we do know for a fact was he rotated his hips and set his feet to make the throw before ever starting his head turn to the left side. This observation and exact comment came directly from a 3 multi time pro bowl NFL QBs, not me. But after rewatching several times they were exactly correct. He did all the mechanics for the throw before turning his head. He know exactly where he was throwing and was counting on his receiver to beat his man to that spot.

I give Tua credit for being the best gifted QB Bama has ever had. And he is going to even get better. I wanted him at QB last year but am glad things worked out the way they did for a number of reasons. Once again my reason for the thread was based on years of coaching defenses and being around the college game and coaches for decades. I am always lookimg for tendencies and ways to beat oposing teams as well as our own teams weaknesses or tendencies.

I apologize for creating a thread that seems to have sparked so much negativity. That was not my intent and I will keep future volitile personal thoughts and feedback from fellow friends and experts of the game to myself. I want to contribute to the board not create discourse. This thread obviously did the later for several people so I apologize.
Personally, I would have given your OP more thought if you had mentioned the conversations of the NFL QBs. I would like to know all of the specifics of what they were saying, too.

But we didn't know that. Instead, we got a post that reads more like an Eeyore trying to find any flaw possible. Thus, the responses in the thread bringing up all of Tua's accomplishments and stats to this point.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

A couple of things:

-If you have articles or something else of analysts, coaches, QBs etc. saying this then linking those in the OP would be helpful. Especially when it's on a topic as subjective as this one.

-Your pro bowl QB friends may be right IRT scouting Tua for the NFL. Yes, as an NFL prospect he can improve on a lot of things. As a college QB (which is all we really care about right now) he's statistically the best to ever do it. I feel like most of the things you're bringing up are IRT Tua playing in the NFL where the coverages are expertly disguised. UGA was playing cover 2 most of the game which is a very basic coverage. Once the safety on the left side of the field didn't immediately shade to Devonta Smith the play was over. Whether Tua physically looked at D Smith wide open or not doesn't matter. Based on Cover 2 and the safeties movement to the middle of the field at the snap the play was over. Tua doesn't really need to be any more proficient at reads in the college game. In the NFL he will need to improve some..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I, too, would like to hear more of what they said, as a matter of interest, although what's been said about cover two is correct. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the NCG. I've watched that play many times, specifically looking for the flicker to the safety. He did not throw blind, IMO. If you don't see it, you don't see it...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Personally, I would have given your OP more thought if you had mentioned the conversations of the NFL QBs. I would like to know all of the specifics of what they were saying, too.

But we didn't know that. Instead, we got a post that reads more like an Eeyore trying to find any flaw possible. Thus, the responses in the thread bringing up all of Tua's accomplishments and stats to this point.
Point taken.

So you are saying their thoughts are relevant but an average “Eeyore” doesnt make the same impact? 😉

I was not trying to throw the NFL QB comments in there to see what people thought on their own without adding that “little” fact.

Beyond that they were very complimentary of all of Bamas players. They were trying to pick apart his game and honestly struggled too, this was one of the few things they could identify outside of his “potential” height challenges.

I think my Title could have helped the tone of the discussion. Will work on that. 👍🏻

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.