Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title. - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

With the exception of the RPO plays, which we can see him reading a LB, I doubt many of us can tell you consistently what he is reading pre-snap, post-snap or otherwise. IMO Tua, Locks, Enos, Saban and probably Gattis are the ones who can tell you on a play by play basis what reads he made and why.
    The TV views make it difficult to often see the whole picture. Without looking at it from his perspective and knowing the play call, we just have no real idea.

I am in agreement that he could dump it when heís in trouble a little sooner and a little more often. Other than that, sit back relax and enjoy it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Tide View Post
    With the exception of the RPO plays, which see him reading a LB, I doubt many of us can tell you consistently what he is reading pre-snap, post-snap or otherwise. IMO Tua, Locks, Enos, Saban and probably Gattis are the ones who can tell you on a play by play basis what reads he made and why.
    The TV views make it difficult to often see the whole picture. Without looking at it from his perspective and knowing the play call, we just have no real idea.

I am in agreement that he could dump it when he’s in trouble a little sooner and a little more often. Other than that, sit back relax and enjoy it.
    While I agree about the camera angles, you often get a good enough picture to read the defense with the QB. Thing is, we don't know the route calls so we still don't know where Tua is going with the ball, even if we get the reads correct. The best that we can do is, based on formations and tendencies that we have seen in previous games, make a guess. The defense is making the same guesses. But they are not totally uninformed.

I much prefer to break down the game, play by play, than simply watch as if it were a movie. I feel more involved, even if I can't do anything about it.

Alabama does things to help the QB make a read. For instance, when Alabama brings a receiver in motion, it is to see how the defense moves. That can let him know if the defense is man or zone, and it can give away potential edge blitz packages. Also, where are the safeties positioned? What is their posture? That is a great indicator of their role in the called defense.

It is like trying to play chess during the game, but without getting to see the entire board.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..
    And one of those three INCOMPLETIONS was a perfect throw that could have been caught. The officials ruled it INCOMPLETE because it looked like a little ball movement, but I still think it was a COMPLETION.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-American

Let's spend our time focusing and talking about things we actually need to improve to beat clemson. like linebacker play, or punting.

B1GTIDE,
    Thatís what Iím getting. Sure offenses will motion, shift etc to try to determine the coverage or force a decision but we canít always see the entire defense react. What I mean is a lot of the times, until we see a replay we donít know if the safety on one side has rolled down or what not.
    Sometimes I wish they just give you the
    ALL-22 view zoomed in to the best possible look that will allow you to see the play unfold.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    And one of those three INCOMPLETIONS was a perfect throw that could have been caught. The officials ruled it INCOMPLETE because it looked like a little ball movement, but I still think it was a COMPLETION.
    also mentioned the auburn game as an area for improvement and tua set the Iron bowl record for touchdowns and threw for 400 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    Let's spend our time focusing and talking about things we actually need to improve to beat clemson. like linebacker play, or punting.
    LB play will be critical in this game - have to limit Etienne.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    LB play will be critical in this game - have to limit Etienne.
    Maybe Dabo will leave him on the ROY bus

B1GTIDE,
    That’s what I’m getting. Sure offenses will motion, shift etc to try to determine the coverage or force a decision but we can’t always see the entire defense react. What I mean is a lot of the times, until we see a replay we don’t know if the safety on one side has rolled down or what not.
    Sometimes I wish they just give you the
    ALL-22 view zoomed in to the best possible look that will allow you to see the play unfold.
    They had the ALL-22 going over the web for the last game - will have it again for the CFPCG. They had a smaller version of it going in the Coaches broadcast, too. But my wife wants the main broadcast, so that is what is up on our big screen TV during the game.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    Tua is great. And he can get much better. That was my point of this thread. How can he continue to improve. This is how I feel he can improve even on being the most efficient QB ever. I am not comfortable resting on the past and saying we got this. I think you always have to keep working to get better and better. And this next game we will have to be better to be successful.
    Shhh. Wouldn't wanna spill the beans on 'Bama coming out in the

you know, new and improved Notre Dame box...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    The problem with the first post is that it reads as if Tua should stop looking off safeties and making reads on RPOs. If that's the case let's go back to the I formation and only pass using play action with 1 WR in the route and max protect. This offense is higher risk but higher reward and TBH there's been virtually no risk IRT the offense this year. So it's basically been a low risk high reward offense. Yes, Tua can improve just like any person walking planet earth but the title and first post are not worded correctly.

If Tua needs to "break his tendencies" then WTH did our past QBs need to do? Just be broken completely?
    You definitely missunderstood my thoughts. I was not suggesting that he stop looking off safeties or making reads on RPOs. I was saying IMO he is trusting his preread just a little too much and too often that it ďcouldĒ lead to defenses guessing where he is going with the ball based on past tendencies. We are definitely splitting hairs because he has tremendous skills and ability. I am just point out one area where I feel he can improve even more.

If I am a safety and the WRs run verts. I will be favoring the side of the field that he does not start off looking at because many of his throws he intentionally focuses on one side of the field to avoid looking at where he plans to throw. My suggestion would be to mix it up sometimes and go ahead and hit the open WR on the play side he started off looking at. This will really confuse the secondary and they will honestly have no idea where he is going with the ball.

His looking off the safety is a little over obvious to my eyes. But I am looking at this through very critical defensive minded eyes. I may be totally wrong and its just coincidence. But if I was playing D against him. On 3rd downs I would roll my coverage and drop the DL into the open zones and away from his eyes several times to see if we could capitalize on those tendencies that I have noticed. He may burn me 10/10 times. But its the only potential flaw I have seen in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They had the ALL-22 going over the web for the last game - will have it again for the CFPCG. They had a smaller version of it going in the Coaches broadcast, too. But my wife wants the main broadcast, so that is what is up on our big screen TV during the game.
    On the ALL-22 on the web, do you get they same commentary as the regular broadcast?Iím honestly not sure if that would be a plus or minus.

On the ALL-22 on the web, do you get they same commentary as the regular broadcast?I’m honestly not sure if that would be a plus or minus.
    I do not know - I may run it on my laptop for the CFPCG just to see what it looks like.