Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title. - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

Two things Tua needs to work on:

Throw the ball away
    Check down when there is no options available. ( He did great job against OKlahoma... checking down often)

Don't fix what is not broken. Tua needs to keep being Tua against Clemson.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    You definitely missunderstood my thoughts. I was not suggesting that he stop looking off safeties or making reads on RPOs. I was saying IMO he is trusting his preread just a little too much and too often that it “could” lead to defenses guessing where he is going with the ball based on past tendencies. We are definitely splitting hairs because he has tremendous skills and ability. I am just point out one area where I feel he can improve even more.

If I am a safety and the WRs run verts. I will be favoring the side of the field that he does not start off looking at because many of his throws he intentionally focuses on one side of the field to avoid looking at where he plans to throw. My suggestion would be to mix it up sometimes and go ahead and hit the open WR on the play side he started off looking at. This will really confuse the secondary and they will honestly have no idea where he is going with the ball.

His looking off the safety is a little over obvious to my eyes. But I am looking at this through very critical defensive minded eyes. I may be totally wrong and its just coincidence. But if I was playing D against him. On 3rd downs I would roll my coverage and drop the DL into the open zones and away from his eyes several times to see if we could capitalize on those tendencies that I have noticed. He may burn me 10/10 times. But its the only potential flaw I have seen in his game.
    no i think everyone understands your thoughts, its just that the phrase "most efficient quarterback who has ever put on a college uniform" holds more weight than the musings of some guy on the internet about how he looks off safeties too often.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    no i think everyone understands your thoughts, its just that the phrase "most efficient quarterback who has ever put on a college uniform" holds more weight than the musings of some guy on the internet about how he looks off safeties too often.
    How do you even 'look off' safeties too often?!? He still throws to the 'open' receiver. The defense still has to cover the recievers. Also, four interceptions all season (two when he was really injured in the SECCG) doesn't seem like much of an issue with 'tendencies' to me. He reads the defense, and makes the right throws with ridiculous accuracy.

I hope he keeps on looking off safeties, and throwing to the open receiver.
    He is as accurate a passer as I've ever watched in College football. Period.

Of course he's got room to improve, and he's working on it every day. The amazing thing is he's already better than everybody else.

...and should have been the Heisman winner.
    Last edited by bamafaninOhiO; December 31st, 2018 at 04:09 PM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    How do you even 'look off' safeties too often?!? He still throws to the 'open' receiver. The defense still has to cover the recievers. Also, four interceptions all season (two when he was really injured in the SECCG) doesn't seem like much of an issue with 'tendencies' to me. He reads the defense, and makes the right throws with ridiculous accuracy.

I hope he keeps on looking off safeties, and throwing to the open receiver.
    He is as accurate a passer as I've ever watched in College football. Period.
    yeah 69.5% completion 11 ypa 41 TD's and 4 Picks..... looks like hes got a real issue digesting what defenses are throwing at him

BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar

I think that the 2 Georgia interceptions were anomalies in part, distraction in another. On the first one, did he see the safety in the traffic over the middle?

In the second case, he threw that pass well short of where it would normally be (pull up the game, or should have been at the bottom of the first Alabama "a" instead of at the 2 yard line. I attribute that to not planting currently due to the injuries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Given the tendencies evidenced by his 205+ passer rating, I'm going with "no".
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I would like to see him be a tiny bit more conservative when he gets pressure. He did it very effectively in the OU game. He quickly hit his outlet receiver because he saw the blitz. Too many times this year he does the twirl and tries to do too much instead of throwing the ball away. That is why he got injured in the UG game. That is something he will learn. He has a "turbo" speed on reading his progressions and he can put that to use when he is being pressured. He hasn't quite yet learned to throw it away and take the next play. This also pertains to the play calls. If our OC expects a lot of pressure we need to have outlets for Tua to use to reduce the potential of a negative play. IMHO, that is the only weakness I see with TUA and I am convinced that he will learn to minimize that as he gets more and more experience.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

This has been very interesting to read from start to finish...I would add that we can throw out the Ga game as he was very injured and unable to play his normal game. The original premise may have some validity, but Tua ran roughshod over that in the Orange Bowl. He made OUTSTANDING reads both pre and post snap and consistently threw the ball quickly to the open receiver. He probably even audible into better plays -- although we have no way of knowing.

Take away for me: I understand the concern, but really don't think Tua will take the bait. I personally think he and our WR's will eat up the CU secondary if we our OL can pass block their DL.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..
    Exactly. Omg, some people. RTR

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    yeah 69.5% completion 11 ypa 41 TD's and 4 Picks..... looks like hes got a real issue digesting what defenses are throwing at him
    Yeah, I kind of hope he doesn't break that TD/INT ratio tendency...

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

His tendency is to go for the home run. Didn’t do that against OU and look what happened. We are so talented across the board that “taking what the defense gives you” is all we have to do win because we will break big ones by doing that. See Josh Jacobs.

FB|BB Moderator

Lots of debate here. I just don't see it as a binary, either / or, 1s and 0s kind of thing.

Tua can get better. He's human, and all humans can get better at what they do. Tom Brady can improve. And some are saying not to change anything, mainly because of the past success.

At the other extreme, some are posting as if our passing game will be broken like the Enigma code by the dreaded Clemson Tigers if we don't revamp.

We shouldn't refuse to improve simply because we've been successful thus far.

We also shouldn't wad up the best Alabama passing attack in 126 years of football, throw it away, and start all over just because it is, as all human creations are, imperfect.

It's a balancing act.

Continue to hone Tua's skills. Coach him up on throwing the ball away. Coach him up on taking what the defense gives.

But let him be him. We've never had anything like this....don't waste the incredible upside of a generational talent, simply because because you're afraid of a mistake.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 31st, 2018 at 09:55 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    For much of the season I thought that it was Tua's tendencies that had him throwing so many deep passes. We learned in one of the Film Room episodes that this was not true. We learned that the primary read on many play calls is the deep route, and that Tua was making the choice based on the correct read. I was wrong. Tua follows the progressions, deep to short, and takes what is given to him.

But what I do believe he needs to work on is his tendency to want to take that deep route when it is there, even if he doesn't have time to do so. Sometimes he simply doesn't have time because the defense is in his face and he needs to drop that pass off, even if the deep throw is there. When he holds it too long, he takes a beating.
    The OP was about his having a tendency to look off one way and then throw to the other. My point was that he's too quick for that to be a problem. The throw-back is far from automatic. In fact, in the first notable one, in OT in the last NCG, it wasn't automatic. If you watch his head/eyes, before he threw back, he took a half second to make sure he had the safety frozen. For that reason, I rate this entire concern/thread as bogus...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis