Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
That can be said for just about every single QB on the planet.

Good D's are good because of their ability to play good defense - which is what makes them a good defense - which means the other offense doesn't do so well - that includes the QB - who is on offense.

QB's play better against garbage defenses than they do against top 30 defenses. I don't expect Tua to carve LSU's secondary like hot butter and go 30-35 for 455 yds and 4 td. I expect the stats he had in that game - and he actually had a pretty good game. He was also injured quite a bit late in the season facing some of these teams.

But saying a QB played worse against good defenses then he did against bad defenses is like say, "Wow, my car goes faster when I press the gas pedal than when I DON'T press the gas pedal....something is wrong with my car."
Not only that, he was hurt and severely limited against those top defenses ina few games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I had some OSU fans telling me last night that Tua was not an NFL QB, would not be drafted and would never play a snap in the NFL. They said our WR's and OL were the only thing that made Tua look good at all. One even went as far as to say Tua sucks at QB. I tried to explain to them how/why they were wrong, but they just would not listen.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I had some OSU fans telling me last night that Tua was not an NFL QB, would not be drafted and would never play a snap in the NFL. They said our WR's and OL were the only thing that made Tua look good at all. One even went as far as to say Tua sucks at QB. I tried to explain to them how/why they were wrong, but they just would not listen.
A weird amount of people think this. I can see questioning his arm strength somewhat and now questioning his ability to make certain decisions post snap but apart from that I'm lost. Tua is the most accurate QB I've seen in a while, kinda reminds me of Sam Bradford (even has some injury issues to match.)

There is a specific NFL guy (who I've saved the tweets of because I think he is wrong) that called Tua basically Tim Tebow. I normally agree with this guy so I was pretty caught off guard.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Is there something weird in the water, over there?

Ask them how many snaps KM is going to see in the NFL.

You probably need to hang out with some different folks.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Aren't they ashamed to have been whipped by such a sucky QB?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A weird amount of people think this. I can see questioning his arm strength somewhat and now questioning his ability to make certain decisions post snap but apart from that I'm lost. Tua is the most accurate QB I've seen in a while, kinda reminds me of Sam Bradford (even has some injury issues to match.)

There is a specific NFL guy (who I've saved the tweets of because I think he is wrong) that called Tua basically Tim Tebow. I normally agree with this guy so I was pretty caught off guard.
I think Tua is not as great (right now) as many Bama fans believe but not as near as many rivals believe his CFPNCG and SECCG performances seem to indicate. I think he is a 1st or 2nd rounder, but not a clear 1st rounder, or a #1 pick.

Tua needs to break some bad habits, mainly always relying on the homerun ball when a check down is there for 10-15 yards. But he is byfar the best qb we have had in a while.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would think we would all expect Tua to improve all facets of his game from year 2 to year 3 as we would expect any other player to improve from being an underclassman to an upperclassman. I think he has the work ethic and willingness to learn more than most so I expect Tua to devastate defenses more next year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Aren't they ashamed to have been whipped by such a sucky QB?
Did I sleep through the time we played Ohio State?

I think Tua is not as great (right now) as many Bama fans but not as near as many rivals believe his CFPNCG and SECCG performances seem to indicate. I think he is a 1st or 2nd rounder, but not a clear 1st rounder, or a #1 pick.

Tua needs to break some bad habits, mainly always relying on the homerun ball when a check down is there for 10-15 yards. But he is by far the best QB we have had in a while.
See. I agree with you to a point on this. My earlier thought that he was a #1 pick in the draft may have gone too far. But I still think he will be picked in the first round a play a lot of games in the NFL. I think those guys are right that he does have some outstanding receivers to throw to, but he is so good (when he is on) at predicting at what point a receiver is going to come open and having the ball right there when he does. I haven't seen many do that in a while at the college level.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
T
That can be said for just about every single QB on the planet.

Good D's are good because of their ability to play good defense - which is what makes them a good defense - which means the other offense doesn't do so well - that includes the QB - who is on offense.

QB's play better against garbage defenses than they do against top 30 defenses. I don't expect Tua to carve LSU's secondary like hot butter and go 30-35 for 455 yds and 4 td. I expect the stats he had in that game - and he actually had a pretty good game. He was also injured quite a bit late in the season facing some of these teams.

But saying a QB played worse against good defenses then he did against bad defenses is like say, "Wow, my car goes faster when I press the gas pedal than when I DON'T press the gas pedal....something is wrong with my car."

Can’t dispute that. But the fact of the matter is, with the makeup of our schedule, you’re only as good as you perform in November.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think Tua is not as great (right now) as many Bama fans believe but not as near as many rivals believe his CFPNCG and SECCG performances seem to indicate. I think he is a 1st or 2nd rounder, but not a clear 1st rounder, or a #1 pick.

Tua needs to break some bad habits, mainly always relying on the homerun ball when a check down is there for 10-15 yards. But he is byfar the best qb we have had in a while.
I would agree with that.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Give me a couple minutes to explain my thoughts. Tua is by far the most talented pre-read QB in college. He sees the field incredibly well and reads defenses as good as anyone in the game. Lst year during the Title game his game ending play was both perfect and has been somewhat of a thorn in his side this season. We all have watched as he has continued to make many very similar throws. Looking at one side of the field knowing he was going to turn and throw to the other side at the last possible moment. Dont get me wrong he goes through progressions very well at times. But he tends to go to pre snap reads on key downs more than maybe he should. I think his success in the past has reinforced this and he continues to do with success.

However, in big games with good defenses and smart coaching staffs they will use this against him and bait him into a couple throws a game he should not make. GA did this more than a couple times. Yes he was injured and not able to used his flawless footwork and technique. I know CU will be ready and have watched lots of film to know that on 3rd and medium to long with two high safeties he will look one way and throw back the other. He will also do the same on the shorter slant throws and needs to be careful they dont drop linemen into the lanes when the down and distance makes this route a good choice.

I would love for the line to give him lots of time next week to go through several progressions and find the open reciever but that likely wont happen much. My strategy would be to use a lot more curls, outs and corner routes to throw in a curve to the defense looking for slants, crossing and verticle routs.

Just something I have noticed over the year and know Dabo will have his defense expecting more of the same. I think this game will come down to can Tua face pressure and find the open man while using his feet more than normal. I see an even bigger package this week with Jalen. His feet against CU could be critical at some point in the game.
Give me some of that crow to eat. Good call. I wish he had taken what the defense was giving. The play calling did not help.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
T

Can’t dispute that. But the fact of the matter is, with the makeup of our schedule, you’re only as good as you perform in November.
Really wish there was a way for us to spread out LSU, MSU and Auburn on our schedule. Guess that fodder for another thread.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Really wish there was a way for us to spread out LSU, MSU and Auburn on our schedule. Guess that fodder for another thread.
They are all three pretty good right now but typically the November schedule is not as tough as it is now. 1 of the 3 and sometimes 2 of the 3 are not that tough. For example in 2012 we beat MSU 38-7 and the Barn 49-0 and in 2016 we beat MSU 51-3 and the Barn 30-12. LSWho is really the only one that plays us tough every year and we win some of the those games by double digits, given it is always physical.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They are all three pretty good right now but typically the November schedule is not as tough as it is now. 1 of the 3 and sometimes 2 of the 3 are not that tough. For example in 2012 we beat MSU 38-7 and the Barn 49-0 and in 2016 we beat MSU 51-3 and the Barn 30-12. LSWho is really the only one that plays us tough every year and we win some of the those games by double digits, given it is always physical.
Agree. MSU lost Sweat, Simmons and other key contributors from their defense. They don't reload like us so they shouldn't be nearly as tough next year. Think the 3 toughest games next year are aTm, LSU and AU. Everyone else should pretty much be a cakewalk. Our SEC East game this year is @ South Carolina so they shouldn't be to hard either..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Completely agree. I don't think Tua was confused in this game as much as some people think he was. Clemson took away the deep passes so we should have worn them out on the shorter routes. Tua was forcing balls down the field more than he was confused by the coverage. So IMO the tendency he needs to break is stop looking to make every play a deep ball and check down to the backs and shorter routes when they're wide open because they were this game. Tua hasn't really checked the ball down all year so this was nothing new but Clemson had enough talent to make him pay for it..

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Tua hasn't really checked the ball down all year so this was nothing new but Clemson had enough talent to make him pay for it..
I recall quite a few times where he checked it down when he had time to do so. I believe he just has a tendency to stick with a pre-snap read before going to a the check down in most situations and ideally that is something that he'll have to work on a bit - especially as other defenses will start mixing it up to defend against his pre-snap reads like Clemson did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.