Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With the exception of the RPO plays, which see him reading a LB, I doubt many of us can tell you consistently what he is reading pre-snap, post-snap or otherwise. IMO Tua, Locks, Enos, Saban and probably Gattis are the ones who can tell you on a play by play basis what reads he made and why.
The TV views make it difficult to often see the whole picture. Without looking at it from his perspective and knowing the play call, we just have no real idea.

I am in agreement that he could dump it when he’s in trouble a little sooner and a little more often. Other than that, sit back relax and enjoy it.
While I agree about the camera angles, you often get a good enough picture to read the defense with the QB. Thing is, we don't know the route calls so we still don't know where Tua is going with the ball, even if we get the reads correct. The best that we can do is, based on formations and tendencies that we have seen in previous games, make a guess. The defense is making the same guesses. But they are not totally uninformed.

I much prefer to break down the game, play by play, than simply watch as if it were a movie. I feel more involved, even if I can't do anything about it.

Alabama does things to help the QB make a read. For instance, when Alabama brings a receiver in motion, it is to see how the defense moves. That can let him know if the defense is man or zone, and it can give away potential edge blitz packages. Also, where are the safeties positioned? What is their posture? That is a great indicator of their role in the called defense.

It is like trying to play chess during the game, but without getting to see the entire board.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..
And one of those three INCOMPLETIONS was a perfect throw that could have been caught. The officials ruled it INCOMPLETE because it looked like a little ball movement, but I still think it was a COMPLETION.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
B1GTIDE,
That’s what I’m getting. Sure offenses will motion, shift etc to try to determine the coverage or force a decision but we can’t always see the entire defense react. What I mean is a lot of the times, until we see a replay we don’t know if the safety on one side has rolled down or what not.
Sometimes I wish they just give you the
ALL-22 view zoomed in to the best possible look that will allow you to see the play unfold.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
And one of those three INCOMPLETIONS was a perfect throw that could have been caught. The officials ruled it INCOMPLETE because it looked like a little ball movement, but I still think it was a COMPLETION.
also mentioned the auburn game as an area for improvement and tua set the Iron bowl record for touchdowns and threw for 400 yards.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTIDE,
That’s what I’m getting. Sure offenses will motion, shift etc to try to determine the coverage or force a decision but we can’t always see the entire defense react. What I mean is a lot of the times, until we see a replay we don’t know if the safety on one side has rolled down or what not.
Sometimes I wish they just give you the
ALL-22 view zoomed in to the best possible look that will allow you to see the play unfold.
They had the ALL-22 going over the web for the last game - will have it again for the CFPCG. They had a smaller version of it going in the Coaches broadcast, too. But my wife wants the main broadcast, so that is what is up on our big screen TV during the game.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Tua is great. And he can get much better. That was my point of this thread. How can he continue to improve. This is how I feel he can improve even on being the most efficient QB ever. I am not comfortable resting on the past and saying we got this. I think you always have to keep working to get better and better. And this next game we will have to be better to be successful.
Shhh. Wouldn't wanna spill the beans on 'Bama coming out in the

you know, new and improved Notre Dame box...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
The problem with the first post is that it reads as if Tua should stop looking off safeties and making reads on RPOs. If that's the case let's go back to the I formation and only pass using play action with 1 WR in the route and max protect. This offense is higher risk but higher reward and TBH there's been virtually no risk IRT the offense this year. So it's basically been a low risk high reward offense. Yes, Tua can improve just like any person walking planet earth but the title and first post are not worded correctly.

If Tua needs to "break his tendencies" then WTH did our past QBs need to do? Just be broken completely?
You definitely missunderstood my thoughts. I was not suggesting that he stop looking off safeties or making reads on RPOs. I was saying IMO he is trusting his preread just a little too much and too often that it “could” lead to defenses guessing where he is going with the ball based on past tendencies. We are definitely splitting hairs because he has tremendous skills and ability. I am just point out one area where I feel he can improve even more.

If I am a safety and the WRs run verts. I will be favoring the side of the field that he does not start off looking at because many of his throws he intentionally focuses on one side of the field to avoid looking at where he plans to throw. My suggestion would be to mix it up sometimes and go ahead and hit the open WR on the play side he started off looking at. This will really confuse the secondary and they will honestly have no idea where he is going with the ball.

His looking off the safety is a little over obvious to my eyes. But I am looking at this through very critical defensive minded eyes. I may be totally wrong and its just coincidence. But if I was playing D against him. On 3rd downs I would roll my coverage and drop the DL into the open zones and away from his eyes several times to see if we could capitalize on those tendencies that I have noticed. He may burn me 10/10 times. But its the only potential flaw I have seen in his game.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
They had the ALL-22 going over the web for the last game - will have it again for the CFPCG. They had a smaller version of it going in the Coaches broadcast, too. But my wife wants the main broadcast, so that is what is up on our big screen TV during the game.
On the ALL-22 on the web, do you get they same commentary as the regular broadcast?I’m honestly not sure if that would be a plus or minus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On the ALL-22 on the web, do you get they same commentary as the regular broadcast?I’m honestly not sure if that would be a plus or minus.
I do not know - I may run it on my laptop for the CFPCG just to see what it looks like.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Two things Tua needs to work on:

Throw the ball away
Check down when there is no options available. ( He did great job against OKlahoma... checking down often)

Don't fix what is not broken. Tua needs to keep being Tua against Clemson.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
You definitely missunderstood my thoughts. I was not suggesting that he stop looking off safeties or making reads on RPOs. I was saying IMO he is trusting his preread just a little too much and too often that it “could” lead to defenses guessing where he is going with the ball based on past tendencies. We are definitely splitting hairs because he has tremendous skills and ability. I am just point out one area where I feel he can improve even more.

If I am a safety and the WRs run verts. I will be favoring the side of the field that he does not start off looking at because many of his throws he intentionally focuses on one side of the field to avoid looking at where he plans to throw. My suggestion would be to mix it up sometimes and go ahead and hit the open WR on the play side he started off looking at. This will really confuse the secondary and they will honestly have no idea where he is going with the ball.

His looking off the safety is a little over obvious to my eyes. But I am looking at this through very critical defensive minded eyes. I may be totally wrong and its just coincidence. But if I was playing D against him. On 3rd downs I would roll my coverage and drop the DL into the open zones and away from his eyes several times to see if we could capitalize on those tendencies that I have noticed. He may burn me 10/10 times. But its the only potential flaw I have seen in his game.
no i think everyone understands your thoughts, its just that the phrase "most efficient quarterback who has ever put on a college uniform" holds more weight than the musings of some guy on the internet about how he looks off safeties too often.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
no i think everyone understands your thoughts, its just that the phrase "most efficient quarterback who has ever put on a college uniform" holds more weight than the musings of some guy on the internet about how he looks off safeties too often.
How do you even 'look off' safeties too often?!? He still throws to the 'open' receiver. The defense still has to cover the recievers. Also, four interceptions all season (two when he was really injured in the SECCG) doesn't seem like much of an issue with 'tendencies' to me. He reads the defense, and makes the right throws with ridiculous accuracy.

I hope he keeps on looking off safeties, and throwing to the open receiver.
He is as accurate a passer as I've ever watched in College football. Period.

Of course he's got room to improve, and he's working on it every day. The amazing thing is he's already better than everybody else.

...and should have been the Heisman winner.

Last edited:

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
How do you even 'look off' safeties too often?!? He still throws to the 'open' receiver. The defense still has to cover the recievers. Also, four interceptions all season (two when he was really injured in the SECCG) doesn't seem like much of an issue with 'tendencies' to me. He reads the defense, and makes the right throws with ridiculous accuracy.

I hope he keeps on looking off safeties, and throwing to the open receiver.
He is as accurate a passer as I've ever watched in College football. Period.
yeah 69.5% completion 11 ypa 41 TD's and 4 Picks..... looks like hes got a real issue digesting what defenses are throwing at him

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I think that the 2 Georgia interceptions were anomalies in part, distraction in another. On the first one, did he see the safety in the traffic over the middle?

In the second case, he threw that pass well short of where it would normally be (pull up the game, or should have been at the bottom of the first Alabama "a" instead of at the 2 yard line. I attribute that to not planting currently due to the injuries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
I would like to see him be a tiny bit more conservative when he gets pressure. He did it very effectively in the OU game. He quickly hit his outlet receiver because he saw the blitz. Too many times this year he does the twirl and tries to do too much instead of throwing the ball away. That is why he got injured in the UG game. That is something he will learn. He has a "turbo" speed on reading his progressions and he can put that to use when he is being pressured. He hasn't quite yet learned to throw it away and take the next play. This also pertains to the play calls. If our OC expects a lot of pressure we need to have outlets for Tua to use to reduce the potential of a negative play. IMHO, that is the only weakness I see with TUA and I am convinced that he will learn to minimize that as he gets more and more experience.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This has been very interesting to read from start to finish...I would add that we can throw out the Ga game as he was very injured and unable to play his normal game. The original premise may have some validity, but Tua ran roughshod over that in the Orange Bowl. He made OUTSTANDING reads both pre and post snap and consistently threw the ball quickly to the open receiver. He probably even audible into better plays -- although we have no way of knowing.

Take away for me: I understand the concern, but really don't think Tua will take the bait. I personally think he and our WR's will eat up the CU secondary if we our OL can pass block their DL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.