Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.
Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Skeeterpop's Avatar

Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

Give me a couple minutes to explain my thoughts. Tua is by far the most talented pre-read QB in college. He sees the field incredibly well and reads defenses as good as anyone in the game. Lst year during the Title game his game ending play was both perfect and has been somewhat of a thorn in his side this season. We all have watched as he has continued to make many very similar throws. Looking at one side of the field knowing he was going to turn and throw to the other side at the last possible moment. Dont get me wrong he goes through progressions very well at times. But he tends to go to pre snap reads on key downs more than maybe he should. I think his success in the past has reinforced this and he continues to do with success.

However, in big games with good defenses and smart coaching staffs they will use this against him and bait him into a couple throws a game he should not make. GA did this more than a couple times. Yes he was injured and not able to used his flawless footwork and technique. I know CU will be ready and have watched lots of film to know that on 3rd and medium to long with two high safeties he will look one way and throw back the other. He will also do the same on the shorter slant throws and needs to be careful they dont drop linemen into the lanes when the down and distance makes this route a good choice.

I would love for the line to give him lots of time next week to go through several progressions and find the open reciever but that likely wont happen much. My strategy would be to use a lot more curls, outs and corner routes to throw in a curve to the defense looking for slants, crossing and verticle routs.

Just something I have noticed over the year and know Dabo will have his defense expecting more of the same. I think this game will come down to can Tua face pressure and find the open man while using his feet more than normal. I see an even bigger package this week with Jalen. His feet against CU could be critical at some point in the game.

2. Advertisement

Re: Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

Probably, but I think Tua just completed another inside slant RPO
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation First Team

Interesting take. Lets hope we got a few counters up our sleeves to your points. I look for a big game from both Jalen and Tua...

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

We change our passing approach based on the defense we are playing.....

He may not throw one slant next Monday....or he may throw 50.....

That's why they make millions to coach and we make nothing to critique
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Dude had 4 TD passes and 3 incompletions and he needs to break tendencies? You referenced the first big time game he played in as a true freshman in which he made one of the greatest throws in college football history and then another game in which he tried to gut it out with a high ankle sprain. I'm not following..

I'm not sure how to mess with success. What he did Sat--26 of 29 (and two of the misses were only overturned on replay!) was nothing short of spectacular--even against air! Until Clemson shows me differently I'm good with his judgement and reads. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if their own self-scouting lead him/them to do a little baiting of their own. He is truly an artist when he's healthy! RTR!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    We change our passing approach based on the defense we are playing.....

He may not throw one slant next Monday....or he may throw 50.....

That's why they make millions to coach and we make nothing to critique
    I think our OCs will have a good game plan to attack Clemson's weakness. I really like the development of our QBs and I think Coach Enos has done a great job, especially in Jalen's development. I'm much less concerned about injury to Tua after seeing how well Jalen has played.

BamaNation First Team

The one tendency that he needs to break is his reluctancy to throw the ball away. Against Oklahoma, he didnít get pressured enough for it to be a problem, but Clemson will be a different animal.

Iím sure he has had several throw-aways this year, but honestly, I donít remember any. This could be a problem against the best pass rush heís faced, and could result in turnovers.

I was disappointed he missed a wide open josh Jacobs. Didnít read the backer.

But he got a TD on next pass. A slant

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Eye View Post
    The one tendency that he needs to break is his reluctancy to throw the ball away. Against Oklahoma, he didn’t get pressured enough for it to be a problem, but Clemson will be a different animal.

I’m sure he has had several throw-aways this year, but honestly, I don’t remember any. This could be a problem against the best pass rush he’s faced, and could result in turnovers.
    I would say throw the ball away or check it down. To often Tua looks for the homerun when D Harris or Jacobs are wide open in the flat. Take the free 10+ yards and move on to the next play. Small complaint in the grand scheme of things..

BamaNation All-SEC

There is one thing that he has stopped doing, which is a good thing. With his back to the pass rush, he looks over one shoulder then suddenly circles the other way. Against Georgia, they were perfectly ready for it, and it was the play that got him injured. It was the same move he used to throw a TD against Vandy a year ago, and I've seen it a couple of other times. It is a great move, a signature move, but once it is on tape it is fairly easy to defend.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Skeeterpop's Avatar

I think some of you are taking my post wrong. I am not bashing Tua or not giving him enormous credit for what he has accomplished this year. What I am saying comes from years of coaching as a DC. I am no where near the level of coach that both Bama and CU have but I can tell you without a doubt the things I would do based on watching the games and tape of his tendencies. OU doesnt count. Their defense is horrible and had zero chance in stopping us. As Saban said we only stopped ourselves. CU will be much different. There will be 6-8 cruicial 3rd downs in this game coming up. There will be much more pressure in the pocket. And the defense will be light years more prepared and ready than OUs was.

I want a 50 pt win next week but I am not betting the house on that. OUís offense scared me, CUís does not. Now their defense is a different story and that is what will determine this game. Their D vs our O. There are tendencies that Tua has and needs to break from time to time imo. He is a great QB but he is still learning and improving each day.

As for my interjecting of my opinion and thoughts, I am pretty sure thats why we have message boards and not just regurgitate what the masses think and say over and over. I predict us winning by 8-12 points. But it for some reason we dont, I would bet the house its due to untimely turnovers or 2-3 game changing plays that CUís defense makes based on their preporation and film study.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    Give me a couple minutes to explain my thoughts. Tua is by far the most talented pre-read QB in college. He sees the field incredibly well and reads defenses as good as anyone in the game. Lst year during the Title game his game ending play was both perfect and has been somewhat of a thorn in his side this season. We all have watched as he has continued to make many very similar throws. Looking at one side of the field knowing he was going to turn and throw to the other side at the last possible moment. Dont get me wrong he goes through progressions very well at times. But he tends to go to pre snap reads on key downs more than maybe he should. I think his success in the past has reinforced this and he continues to do with success.

However, in big games with good defenses and smart coaching staffs they will use this against him and bait him into a couple throws a game he should not make. GA did this more than a couple times. Yes he was injured and not able to used his flawless footwork and technique. I know CU will be ready and have watched lots of film to know that on 3rd and medium to long with two high safeties he will look one way and throw back the other. He will also do the same on the shorter slant throws and needs to be careful they dont drop linemen into the lanes when the down and distance makes this route a good choice.

I would love for the line to give him lots of time next week to go through several progressions and find the open reciever but that likely wont happen much. My strategy would be to use a lot more curls, outs and corner routes to throw in a curve to the defense looking for slants, crossing and verticle routs.

Just something I have noticed over the year and know Dabo will have his defense expecting more of the same. I think this game will come down to can Tua face pressure and find the open man while using his feet more than normal. I see an even bigger package this week with Jalen. His feet against CU could be critical at some point in the game.
    I think it's almost impossible to bait him. No one has succeeded yet. He has rattlesnake reflexes, backed up by an equally quick release. Trying to bait him will more likely get the defense burned than not...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis