Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
A couple of things:

-If you have articles or something else of analysts, coaches, QBs etc. saying this then linking those in the OP would be helpful. Especially when it's on a topic as subjective as this one.

-Your pro bowl QB friends may be right IRT scouting Tua for the NFL. Yes, as an NFL prospect he can improve on a lot of things. As a college QB (which is all we really care about right now) he's statistically the best to ever do it. I feel like most of the things you're bringing up are IRT Tua playing in the NFL where the coverages are expertly disguised. UGA was playing cover 2 most of the game which is a very basic coverage. Once the safety on the left side of the field didn't immediately shade to Devonta Smith the play was over. Whether Tua physically looked at D Smith wide open or not doesn't matter. Based on Cover 2 and the safeties movement to the middle of the field at the snap the play was over. Tua doesn't really need to be any more proficient at reads in the college game. In the NFL he will need to improve some..
Very good point. The conversation was more focused on facing NFL defenses and how they would approach game strategy. I took that as how CU would likely be focusing as well. Of course they dont have the same skill level as an NFL secondary. I was traveling when I posted the thread to get discussion started before we got too close to gameday. I was in a rush and could have done a much better job of communicating my thoughts. Will take all as constructive criticism.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Look - it's not even a "tendency." Again, this thread is based on a fallacy. The fallacy is that he's turning and firing blind, after having baited the opposing safety. This is simply not true. If you don't believe me, go back and look at the TD pass in the NCG and watch him check out the safety quickly before firing. This fear that he can be counter-baited is totally fabricated from whole cloth. I guess people simply have to worry about something. However, I'll be fair. If anyone can come up with one single example in all the hundreds of passes he's thrown, then I'll concede that it's a real problem and not just imaginary...
I agree...but I wanted to note that all "tendencies" have certainly been identified by the coaching staff at this point. For instance, against OU we threw a lot more to DS than we had been. Yes, he was well...but for whatever reason other receivers had been targeted more.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I was looking for this thread. Man made a good point which in the first drive led to a pick 6.

If you knew this WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL CNS?!

Not cool man.....Not cool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yep...props to Clemson/Venalbes for scounting us out.

Tua will use this game to become even better. But it turns out it was a fair/legit criticism. His next step will be to do better at translated his pre-read to an actual read. He'll do it.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It’s no secret that Tua knows where he is going with the ball pre snap. Most quarterbacks that can read a defense do the same thing. That’s one of his strengths. Reading defense. I think that characterization is over simplification. You still have to follow your route progressions. I think his top to bottom route progression may be more of a liability. Never more evidenced in the long pick. He read the safety presnap, thought Jeudy read the same, but Jeudy saw the safety rotating ove where Tua read a go route. They weren’t on the same page, but the ball probably shouldn’t have been thrown. But if Jeudy runs the go route, I don’t think it’s a pick, just an incomplete pass. Tua and Jeudy , for all their success, have had issues all year with reliever option read routes.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
It’s no secret that Tua knows where he is going with the ball pre snap. Most quarterbacks that can read a defense do the same thing. That’s one of his strengths. Reading defense. I think that characterization is over simplification. You still have to follow your route progressions. I think his top to bottom route progression may be more of a liability. Never more evidenced in the long pick. He read the safety presnap, thought Jeudy read the same, but Jeudy saw the safety rotating ove where Tua read a go route. They weren’t on the same page, but the ball probably shouldn’t have been thrown. But if Jeudy runs the go route, I don’t think it’s a pick, just an incomplete pass. Tua and Jeudy , for all their success, have had issues all year with reliever option read routes.
There was a replay on that second INT where it showed more of Jeudy would've seen from his vantage point, and I just feel that because of what Jeudy saw, he didn't run the speed for a go route like he normally would've. Maybe that's where Clemson was changing their coverages post-snap, but Tua will learn how to get better at these post-snap decisions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, the second INT was strange. He over threw Jeudy. Not to change subjects in the thread, but did anyone else think there should have been a block in the back penalty there? Seemed like their guys pushed Jeudy, but I couldn't tell if he slipped/lost his balance or what.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From his presser, I don't think Tua has a clear idea at this point as what all he did wrong. I think he's still waiting for the staff to tell him. I hope they can and, not only that, I hope they can keep it from happening again, since we will see Clemson's tactics all next year...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, the second INT was strange. He over threw Jeudy. Not to change subjects in the thread, but did anyone else think there should have been a block in the back penalty there? Seemed like their guys pushed Jeudy, but I couldn't tell if he slipped/lost his balance or what.
I'll have to confess that I erased it. Probably shouldn't have... :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There was a replay on that second INT where it showed more of Jeudy would've seen from his vantage point, and I just feel that because of what Jeudy saw, he didn't run the speed for a go route like he normally would've. Maybe that's where Clemson was changing their coverages post-snap, but Tua will learn how to get better at these post-snap decisions.
I think he read the safety rotating over and was going to break to the inside, that’s why he didnt run full speed off the line. This is probably a good example of a tendency and good film study by the Clemson safety. Supposedly their liability.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
After the pick? It was more of a helmet to the back, I saw that . Should of been a penalty, but what can you do?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
From his presser, I don't think Tua has a clear idea at this point as what all he did wrong. I think he's still waiting for the staff to tell him. I hope they can and, not only that, I hope they can keep it from happening again, since we will see Clemson's tactics all next year...
I think some of it is very few teams have the personnel to execute what Clemson does. They don't have the talent on the coaching staff or the rosters. But we will certainly see it replicated. I think he will learn. To this point I see no reason to doubt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.