Tua needs to break tendencies for a Title.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There was a replay on that second INT where it showed more of Jeudy would've seen from his vantage point, and I just feel that because of what Jeudy saw, he didn't run the speed for a go route like he normally would've. Maybe that's where Clemson was changing their coverages post-snap, but Tua will learn how to get better at these post-snap decisions.
Yeah, the second INT was strange. He over threw Jeudy. Not to change subjects in the thread, but did anyone else think there should have been a block in the back penalty there? Seemed like their guys pushed Jeudy, but I couldn't tell if he slipped/lost his balance or what.
From the overhead angle they showed it looked like Jeudy recognized that he was in essentially triple coverage and covered up by the safety and slowed down on the route about the time the ball was coming.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
From his presser, I don't think Tua has a clear idea at this point as what all he did wrong. I think he's still waiting for the staff to tell him. I hope they can and, not only that, I hope they can keep it from happening again, since we will see Clemson's tactics all next year...

No, from the presser, he didn’t seem to take failure very well. Couldn’t help but think of the belt meme at that time. He should of been more complimentary of Clemson. Yes, he didn’t execute on the bad passes. But Clemson did and made a better play than he did. I don’t think Nick liked the way the players handled the presser blaming themselves and not giving Clemson credit.

I guess we will see what kind of QB coach we have in Dan Enos. Adam Gaze is available, don’t think he has a job yet! ;)

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, the second INT was strange. He over threw Jeudy. Not to change subjects in the thread, but did anyone else think there should have been a block in the back penalty there? Seemed like their guys pushed Jeudy, but I couldn't tell if he slipped/lost his balance or what.
Yes I agree, said as much at the time it should have came back to the 5

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua was exposed last night. He will have to adjust.
I have to apologize to him as well. He was right and I was wrong as well. Tua got exposed last night.... HE will have to adjust in offseason.
I think it's an overstatement to say he was "exposed." He made two bad mistakes on those INTs. I think they simply found a way to use his skill against him. Credit to Clemson.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From his presser, I don't think Tua has a clear idea at this point as what all he did wrong. I think he's still waiting for the staff to tell him. I hope they can and, not only that, I hope they can keep it from happening again, since we will see Clemson's tactics all next year...
If I'm being honest, I was diappointed in Tua's remarks. I think it was a disrespect to Clemson, but you are probably right in that he doesn't really understand "what" happened just yet.

But I believe he's got the kind of character that he'll use "what" happened (when he figures it out) to learn and grow from it.

His next progression is to take the pre-snap read and be able to confirm that with a post-snap read. He'll be able to IMO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think it's an overstatement to say he was "exposed." He made two bad mistakes on those INTs. I think they simply found a way to use his skill against him. Credit to Clemson.
I don't think it is. Look at the Georgia game tape and then look at last's night game. They essentially used the same scheme to bait Tua to throw interceptions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
TBH, I'm not sure either INT had to do with pre-snap reads. On the pick 6 Clemson was clearly in man coverage. I don't remember that being disguised. We had a bad route concept vs man coverage. When 1 defensive back can guard both WRs then there's something wrong with the route. The defensive back who picked it off was so close to to both WRs that he came off his man and picked it. Again, nice play by Clemson but I don't think Tua was fooled on that play. Something was off with the WR spacing.

On the other INT, Tua could have been confused by pre-snap alignment but that's generally not the case when a QB throws into triple coverage on a go route. It looked like a desperation ball that should have never been thrown.

Kudos to Clemson because they made our offense look as bad as it has all season. Could write a short story on things we could've done different on offense but I think the biggest thing would've been what a lot of us mentioned in the early pages of this thread. Tua should have taken the short passes i.e. RBs out of the backfield and on the 4th down play Ruggs wide open on a shallow cross. Those throws were there all night but just like previous game Tua rarely, if ever, took what the defense was giving him. This, IMO, is not Tua being confused by pre-snap alignment and disguises. The deep passes have been wide open all year but they weren't in this game so he just needed to check the ball down. Tua tries for the home-run pass to often and with a defense as talented as Clemson you just have to get the ball to the open play-makers, even if it's a short route, and let them work in space..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think it is. Look at the Georgia game tape and then look at last's night game. They essentially used the same scheme to bait Tua to throw interceptions.
Yes, but the INTs were just part of the problem. He still had a great game except for those 2 throws. The bigger issue was our inability to run the ball in the red zone IMO.

As for Tua, more than anything last night was a product of them being able to pressure Tua with 4 and drop 7.

Maybe I'm getting hung up on the "semantics" of what it means to be "exposed."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
TBH, I'm not sure either INT had to do with pre-snap reads. On the pick 6 Clemson was clearly in man coverage. I don't remember that being disguised. We had a bad route concept vs man coverage. When 1 defensive back can guard both WRs then there's something wrong with the route. The defensive back who picked it off was so close to to both WRs that he came off his man and picked it. Again, nice play by Clemson but I don't think Tua was fooled on that play. Something was off with the WR spacing.

On the other INT, Tua could have been confused by pre-snap alignment but that's generally not the case when a QB throws into triple coverage on a go route. It looked like a desperation ball that should have never been thrown.

Kudos to Clemson because they made our offense look as bad as it has all season. Could write a short story on things we could've done different on offense but I think the biggest thing would've been what a lot of us mentioned in the early pages of this thread. Tua should have taken the short passes i.e. RBs out of the backfield and on the 4th down play Ruggs wide open on a shallow cross. Those throws were there all night but just like previous game Tua rarely, if ever, took what the defense was giving him. This, IMO, is not Tua being confused by pre-snap alignment and disguises. The deep passes have been wide open all year but they weren't in this game so he just needed to check the ball down. Tua tries for the home-run pass to often and with a defense as talented as Clemson you just have to get the ball to the open play-makers, even if it's a short route, and let them work in space..
I believe that's why the WR seemed to give up on the route - he had to be thinking there's no way the ball would come his way and it never should have.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Tua has some self scouting to do for sure. For all the crap Saban got for not starting him earlier last year, this very well might be why it didn’t happen sooner. I imagine our secondary last year showed in practice at times what happens when you go for the homerun all the time.

I hope he gets better about that, but I do feel like Locksley could have helped him out with better play calling. They blitzed almost every play last night and we saw hardly any screens, draws, or bootlegs.
We did not adjust to what they were doing.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
For all the crap Saban got for not starting him earlier last year, this very well might be why it didn’t happen sooner. I imagine our secondary last year showed in practice at times what happens when you go for the homerun all the time.

Saban himself said that Tua was 54 of 58 in practices leading up to last year's playoffs. These 2 years, Tua has thrown 54 tds and 8 interceptions for a 195.1 qb rating. He can improve, but I think the O. C. is some to blame for going so often for the home run ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This was Tua's first loss at Alabama, and you could tell that he was still stunned in the presser. He simply had no idea what train had just run him over. Hopefully he is able to move past this without regressing. This is the type of beat down that can really challenge the confidence of a player, and Tua is not going to have any success without total faith in his ability and the coaches/game plan.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I’m Going back to this thread, because of the pick 6. I really don’t want to watch the film so I’m going off memory. It was a corner blitz, safety rotating over late, Devonte running a clear out with Jeudy underneath. Tua made the right read, throw into the blitz, but it was either a terrible throw, well behind Jeudy or it was tipped and redirected at the line by he jumping blitzer. It looked like Devonte was maybe running a sluggo, as he ran about 5 yards and started stutter stepping, which allowed the defender to cover both as now Jeudy caught up with Devonte. Maybe it was the lay-off, I don’t know. Complex offense need timing and precision. Maybe the right read should of been a throw downfield to the boundary for Smith. I don’t know. That would be what everyone seems to be complaining about with Tua and his top down progression

Last edited:

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
In Tua’s defense. He didn’t get very long to throw the ball.
Some throws were not caught.

How about the 4th and goal rollout to the left. Fail.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Tua is still the best QB in the country by far who maybe is a little to in love with the long ball and tight window throws. He has superior physical skills throwing the ball and placement. However, just like I golf, you have to play the game mentally too playing percentages and willing to take the layups.

There was a path to controlling the game. We controlled the game until we got in the red zone when the play calling went weird. His 2nd interception was just a ball into triple coverage with 5 minutes to play in 2Q where were driving the field running the ball. We didn't need that throw in that situation. Tua needs to understand the situations in the game that determine outcomes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Yes.
Two blocks in the back.
Getting beat by 28 means it probably doesn't amount to much, but it did really flip the field.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Not sure, but the fact of the matter is his performance against top 30 D’s(November to present) was significantly lower than against others that he faced in the 2018 season.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Not sure, but the fact of the matter is his performance against top 30 D’s(November to present) was significantly lower than against others that he faced in the 2018 season.
That can be said for just about every single QB on the planet.

Good D's are good because of their ability to play good defense - which is what makes them a good defense - which means the other offense doesn't do so well - that includes the QB - who is on offense.

QB's play better against garbage defenses than they do against top 30 defenses. I don't expect Tua to carve LSU's secondary like hot butter and go 30-35 for 455 yds and 4 td. I expect the stats he had in that game - and he actually had a pretty good game. He was also injured quite a bit late in the season facing some of these teams.

But saying a QB played worse against good defenses then he did against bad defenses is like say, "Wow, my car goes faster when I press the gas pedal than when I DON'T press the gas pedal....something is wrong with my car."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.