Question: Why did Riley defer on kickoff?

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
He was hoping for a track meet and a 14 point swing before/after half time to set the tempo and perhaps tire the bama D and give the OU D a longer blow for last half.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think he wanted the ball to start the 3rd.....

OU is used to playing from behind.
Since when? They trailed twice at halftime this season, by three points to Texas Tech, and in their loss to Tejas.

Dumbest-*rse deferring since the dear departed Skunky Mike McCarthy of Green Bay deferred to Denver four years ago at the New Mile High because the Broncos were underdogs for the first time there, and Skunky had some false bravado that his onionskin defense might actually meet the challenge. Been downhill for Green Bay ever since - not that it would have mattered (much) for Okie Defensively Ultra Lite.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I honestly think he was drinking the Kool-Aid all the OU fans seemed to have been drinking with regard to how good their defense really was and banking on either us starting slow - as we had in a few games against top-shelf defenses - or them being able to get a stop.

He was in over his head in this game from the get-go and still doesn't seem to realize it because of the respectable score.

This was a respectable game but not a competitive one. A competitive game insinuates both teams having at least a moderate chance to win the game;Oklahoma never really had a chance to win this game.

They scored as many points as they scored because we let them - once the paradigm had shifted to where it was immaterial how many points they scored. We could have played six more quarters and if Oklahoma had scored 180 points, Bama would have had at least 190.
I think the bolded part says it best. He ONLY looks at the score. It's like he can't really understand defense, clock management, overall strategy, etc.
The fact that we "let off the gas", bled the clock on offense, made them eat clock when we were on defense eludes him.
His
quote after the game about "we outscored a great team 17-3 in the second half" or whatever it was, says it all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Their defensive captain, Curtis Bolton, said at their post game press conference that they thought we were going to come out and try to establish the run on our opening drive and that instead going immediately to the passing game caught them completely by surprise.
They were thoroughly back on their heels. I was clicking on a couple of OU boards from time to time and I remember one post in the second quarter "The Bama players actually look faster than our guys!" Well, as Gomer would say, "Sprise, sprise." I imagine Riley had a bit of a "Sprise" also. Brown wouldn't have necessarily been the fastest guy on the field, even with two legs. In fact, top to bottom, we did have more speed...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the bolded part says it best. He ONLY looks at the score. It's like he can't really understand defense, clock management, overall strategy, etc.
The fact that we "let off the gas", bled the clock on offense, made them eat clock when we were on defense eludes him.
His
quote after the game about "we outscored a great team 17-3 in the second half" or whatever it was, says it all.
It says he was playing checkers while Nick was playing chess...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
It was a huge mistake by Riley. You have supposedly the best offense in the country, and definitely the worst defense in the country, so which unit do you put on the field first...?

The defense, of course! Let's start the game 7 points down, immediately, if not sooner (��). What a maroon.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Wy did riley defer the kickoff? Prob same reason beamer was at the tunnel clapping at our players...stoopid is as stoopid does. :wink:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I truly believe Riley is one of those overrated Chip Kelly type coaches that plays in a conference that won’t expose him. Play a good team and they lose.

FWIW OU will probably be back in the CFP next year if they can get past Texas and Okie Lite, but the result is most likely the same. It’s like I’ve said many times on here “ OU is the modern ND in terms of getting the benefit of the doubt and always craps the bed when it’s time to put up. “

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Leading up to the game, it was Big 12 defenses are not bad, big 12 offenses are just that good. After the game, all we hear from that part of the country is that everyone knew Oklahoma’s defense was terrible. I think Riley honestly thought his defense could get stops! After all, they dominated the last 3 quarters!

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
The only reason they ever ate into the 28 point lead as significantly as the final score indicates is due:

1) The awful series that started with Brian Robinson calling a fair catch for ??? when we ought to have been starting near midfield or better with what was obviously going to be a big return by Jacobs. Heck knowing how Jacobs is with a head of steam, he may have just ran the dang thing back.

2) 2 mental errors and refs falling for some OU sideline chirp to negate the Irv Smith touchdown near the end of the half.

3) A pedantic, marginal overturn of a catch called on the field on 3rd and 10 for our first drive.

4) The decision to kneel instead of piling on some sugar on the scoreboard.

You take those first two out by cleaning up preventable mental mistakes. You can take the middle two out if it wasn't for that Dang Activist Officiating. The last one was the classy and game control thing to do.
And if you include all that even with the mental errors we score anywhere from 59 to 63 points.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Oklahoma wins the toss, and analysts are thinking Oklahoma will receive to put their strength on the field to open the game. Instead, they defer to second half, Bama grabs the momentum and before you know, it is 28-0. A strategic mistake by Riley? You assume this decision was made well before the game.
Riley believed his own press...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I truly believe Riley is one of those overrated Chip Kelly type coaches that plays in a conference that won’t expose him. Play a good team and they lose.

FWIW OU will probably be back in the CFP next year if they can get past Texas and Okie Lite, but the result is most likely the same. It’s like I’ve said many times on here “ OU is the modern ND in terms of getting the benefit of the doubt and always craps the bed when it’s time to put up. “
The phrase... 'All Show, No Go' comes to mind.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
he deferred cause he ain't to bright LOL. Never give Tu the ball first, this year we are almost perfect on first drives. Not that it would matter, we stuffed them th first few drives, only after th game was in hand did they get anything going, too little too late.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are some good HCs who come out of offensive backgrounds, SOS comes to mind. However, all in all, I prefer one from a defensive background...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There are some good HCs who come out of offensive backgrounds, SOS comes to mind. However, all in all, I prefer one from a defensive background...
I've never understood why an offensive minded head coach wouldn't demand a great defense. I mean, at least have a competent one. But I'm also OK with the fact that so few of those guys really understand the defense wins championships.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.