Paying Players

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I could be for some sort of a "trust fund" arrangement, based on University football income, one that builds as they play and can be collected after they GRADUATE and leave the school. The more years they stay, the more they get. I could even agree with bonuses for championships, SEC and national, as long as the payout is equal for the stars and the pine riders. If you suit up and practice, you're in the fund. Injured or not, you finish and collect; or pull a Barnett and you forfeit.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
This is yet another reason to separate the wheat (Power 5) from the chaff (everybody else)

Power 5 can (or may be able to) afford to do this. Everyone else can't.

It is inevitable, IMHO, that some form of compensation will happen. For it to be done properly, I think special legislation should be passed protecting schools and players since labor laws will obviously be abused / used / misinterpreted if they just start paying players with no special situational law for college athletics.

Now, do you pay every college athlete? only Football and basketball? How does Title IX come into play? What happens if revenues drop below costs?

So many questions, so few answers.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is yet another reason to separate the wheat (Power 5) from the chaff (everybody else)

Power 5 can (or may be able to) afford to do this. Everyone else can't.

It is inevitable, IMHO, that some form of compensation will happen. For it to be done properly, I think special legislation should be passed protecting schools and players since labor laws will obviously be abused / used / misinterpreted if they just start paying players with no special situational law for college athletics.

Now, do you pay every college athlete? only Football and basketball? How does Title IX come into play? What happens if revenues drop below costs?

However, if each athlete receives a small stipend similar to GA's in the classroom will employment law come into play? The other moneys based on market value would not come directly from the school though the school may serve as a clearinghouse of sorts.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

1) Power 5 can (or may be able to) afford to do this. Everyone else can't.

2) Now, do you pay every college athlete? only Football and basketball?
3) How does Title IX come into play?
4) What happens if revenues drop below costs?

Some ideas ...
1) Everyone can afford something based on the program's income, even if it a Subway gift card and a tank of gas. It is not going to be equal, and an attempt to seek parity would not be acceptable (hopefully).

2) Everyone that graduates, based on his or her sport's total draw.

3) No idea on that one. When you write that legislation, legaleze it out of the equation!

4) Always based on a percentage of the total take, much like corporate bonus structuring.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Can I add that players should absolutely be allowed to make money on their own names. Sell autographs, sign sneaker contracts, do car commercials, etc - whatever the market allows.
Problem with this is the programs with bigger boosters will tell recruits “come to our school and we’ll make sure you get $1M in autograph signings.” There would be no way to legislate or manage what every player makes and keep boosters from abusing this. Let’s be honest - how many college players could make any material money right now on their name right now? Tua and Kyler for sure. Probably not that many more..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Problem with this is the programs with bigger boosters will tell recruits “come to our school and we’ll make sure you get $1M in autograph signings.” There would be no way to legislate or manage what every player makes and keep boosters from abusing this. Let’s be honest - how many college players could make any material money right now on their name right now? Tua and Kyler for sure. Probably not that many more..
So? That is the market. What is happening now is criminal.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
How does Title IX come into play?
I'm pretty sure there are some lawyers on the board but does Title IX not stipulate certain 'equal treatment?' If you treat one group of athletes differently than another with regard to benefits/stipends, I don't think you'll be able to count all of the lawyers who would jump into the fray. Even though a lot of the universities may be making bank off of football, and a smaller amount off of basketball, not all are and the requirement to pay all athletes would take a deep bite, probably with the end result being abolition of programs to keep costs down.

I don't see it happening without national legislation AND a breaking off of a subset of the current group of FBS teams.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
There would be no way to legislate or manage what every player makes and keep boosters from abusing this.
You are correct, what is to stop a booster from getting the word out that he will guarantee a chunk of change to any blue-chipper who signs up for his school (ok, it is likely happening already at some places)?

I agree with what seems to be the majority that EACH of these young men deserve more of the ever expanding pie but how to do it and maintain at least a semblance of fair play and competitive balance?

I don't see this ever going to where say, Tua is paid an amount which is more than Keaton Anderson.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
So should ALL players on the team get an equal cut? Or just the ones that star? For me, they can wait like everyone else until they get out of school to get a paycheck!
Paying some players BIG bucks could cause a lot of DIVISIVENESS on teams. QB's = lots of $'s. WR's = lots of $'s. RB's several $'s. Heisman Trophy winner wins the Mega Lottery. Some Offensive linemen = several $'s. Some OL not so much and well, a false start, I don't think I'll waste my time blocking for a millionaire. Great DL's = lots of $'s. Other DL a few $'s. So some of those DL may take a few plays off for R & R. DB's that are GREAT = Big $'s. Other DB's take several plays off for R & R. One says, "I don't get paid enough to over exert myself. I'll do that in the NFL."

Hmmmmmm. The DEATH of College Football.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure there are some lawyers on the board but does Title IX not stipulate certain 'equal treatment?' If you treat one group of athletes differently than another with regard to benefits/stipends, I don't think you'll be able to count all of the lawyers who would jump into the fray. Even though a lot of the universities may be making bank off of football, and a smaller amount off of basketball, not all are and the requirement to pay all athletes would take a deep bite, probably with the end result being abolition of programs to keep costs down.

I don't see it happening without national legislation AND a breaking off of a subset of the current group of FBS teams.
Can't you just see a GROWTH in law suits related to this topic.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Title IX would prevent this - yes.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
We are stuck thinking about old paradigms.

Title IX does not apply to revenues generated by the individual through free market means. Males and females in any sport would be free to generate revenue based on their value in the free market. It would apply to stipends or covering cost of attendance (I would assume - yes, I know).

If the top schools break away from the heel-nippers then no skin off our back. This has been discussed for decades and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

What many of you are looking at now as abuses would be acceptable for the most part.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
and in any other line of work in the world, the person getting $1M from their hard work would be celebrated. I'm willing to bet that you are pro capitalism, but you are against someone earning what theyre worth?

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I truly am fine with paying the players -- as long as EVERYONE gets the same amount.....

I'm fine with paying P5 more than Gof5 -- but all P5's paid the same -- regardless of position, regardless of wins/losses, regardless of playing time or stats.
if you want parity, institute a salary cap with a luxury tax and the rich will stay richer and guys can feed their families

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
i do not understand how any of you can't take a step back from your argument and see that its insane to think that all accountants should make the same amount of money. or all computer programmers. all players are not equal. their market value is not equal. we are fine with it in literally every profession on planet earth but someone can run fast and its "ohhh no they cant make money until theyre 21. and even then they cant make as much as their really worth because the higher ups need to make money too!! we cant let the market regulate itself!!!"

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Eventually, certain conferences and schools will re-align and break from the NCAA and there will basically be a college "semi-pro" league. Only the schools that can afford the players are going to be a part of that league.
is that not basically what is happening now? its pretty much like 10-15 schools who are capable of competing for a national title more than once a decade.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I am with B1G here. We can grandstand about how valuable that education is all day long, and it really is to most of us on here. But you have to realize that getting a degree is simply not on the list of what many college athletes really want out of playing college sports. To many of them, it is a way to get some experience and exposure in order to make their way to the pros, get out of whatever bad area of this town or that, and help their families have a better life. You talking about college is like talking to Jim Mora about playoffs or mentioning practice to Alan Iverson. Most of these guys grew up dreaming of being in the NFL, not working as a CPA.

Guys, I really have to disagree...
I'm reminded that It took me over 10 years after I graduated
to pay off my college loans.
I would have been grateful for a free ride.
I'm not a fan of paying players that are on scholarship to play ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.