Paying Players

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I just heard a short blip on ESPN about paying college football players. I didn't hear much so I don't know the context, but this idea/concept will be the death of college football. The biggest push has always been from basketball and with the one and done rule we can see what has happened. To me, basketball is no longer a viewing option. Once it becomes about the money and not about college athletics the appeal is gone.

I would much rather see students athletes who love the game, want to represent their university, and appreciate the education they are receiving for free, as compared to semi-pro sports. If the kids want to earn money then they need to make a decision whether or not they want to go to school. A scholarship is a reward earned in some way by a student to receive free or discounted tuition in return for participating in sports or some other activity.

These young men and women are getting a free education that will benefit them for the rest of their lives. That education will most likely mean the difference of earning $30K a year flipping burgers to unlimited $$$ in a career of their choice or maybe even playing professional sports. The benefits of playing college football cannot be measured in dollars. If I am interviewing people for a job and choosing between two people equally qualified except for one had played college sports, I'm hiring the one who played sports.

I understand being a college student and being broke. I was the poster child at one time. I was not talented enough or dedicated enough for sports, and I understand these kids are spending a lot of time practicing and training, but they are getting paid in tuition and room and board. It's not about now, it's about the future. The future is what college is all about. If they or their families need money that bad and can't wait, then that person needs to be out working.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are a lot of things that might kill college football, but sharing revenue with the players is not on the list, IMO.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
There are a lot of things that might kill college football, but sharing revenue with the players is not on the list, IMO.
I am with B1G here. We can grandstand about how valuable that education is all day long, and it really is to most of us on here. But you have to realize that getting a degree is simply not on the list of what many college athletes really want out of playing college sports. To many of them, it is a way to get some experience and exposure in order to make their way to the pros, get out of whatever bad area of this town or that, and help their families have a better life. You talking about college is like talking to Jim Mora about playoffs or mentioning practice to Alan Iverson. Most of these guys grew up dreaming of being in the NFL, not working as a CPA.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
athletics is the only arena where you can have real dollar value in the marketplace and be denied the right to earn a living. there is no other profession where this is true. there is no other argument to be made. guys deserve to eat. whether we like it or not, college football, ESPECIALLY alabama, clemson, ohio state etc, are a minor league for the NFL. except people actually go to the games and teams make a ton of money. and somehow 16 year olds in euro basketball leagues and single A baseball players make exponentially more money than guys selling 80k seats every saturday. its wrong.

i dont care what the logistics are, its wrong. change the draft system if you have to. telling people they arent allowed to make what theyre worth on the open market is the most anti american thing in the world and guys just compartmentalize it separately like it isnt an issue of american rights.

Last edited:

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
If it is the same one I watched, the subject was briefly brought up when they were discussing Manny Diaz taking the Miami job. Basically, the guy said if a coach is free to leave when he wants to, then there needs to be changes made to the transfer rules for players and Jim Mora mentioned that players should be paid as well. David Pollack basically said he wasn't going to discuss that and Rece Davis pretty much agreed with the Mora and he mentioned about it being pushed in College Basketball.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If they start paying players, then they need to start paying for internships and more benefits to Grad Teachers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree with this 100%. It may be the ticket to ending these public funding sucks such as UAB that folks seem to care a lot about being wasteful. When the players are entitled to revenue, the viability of a lot of the bottom half of the FBS is gone.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I truly am fine with paying the players -- as long as EVERYONE gets the same amount.....

I'm fine with paying P5 more than Gof5 -- but all P5's paid the same -- regardless of position, regardless of wins/losses, regardless of playing time or stats.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
lets not forget that of the 3 major sports, the NFL makes me the most money, pays the least to the players, AND doesnt have to have a farm system to develop those players.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
When revenue is shared with the players, then they become Minor League Professional players.

These guys get a great EDUCATION that's FREE. They get the best NUTRITION on planet Earth. Great TUTORS. They get treated like elite heroes. They have the best medical attention on planet Earth and many other INCENTIVES.

If they aren't going to become Minor League Professionals with the revenue sharing, then they (tOSU, Bama, UGA, LSU, TX, TA&M, UCLA, USCw, USCe, OU, Michigan, MSU, another MSU, O, et al) need to be annexed to the NFL.

It's my feeling that REVENUE is already SHARED with the players: scholarships, medical attention, nutrition, best facilities imaginable, and many other things. And if they are good enough, they become instant millionaires by being able to play as true PROFESSIONALS in the NFL. Use that FREE education to get an OUTSTANDING education that will help you prosper in the future in any endeavor.

It just bothers me that these players would be PROFESSIONALS on a College/University campus.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
When revenue is shared with the players, then they become Minor League Professional players.

These guys get a great EDUCATION that's FREE. They get the best NUTRITION on planet Earth. Great TUTORS. They get treated like elite heroes. They have the best medical attention on planet Earth and many other INCENTIVES.

If they aren't going to become Minor League Professionals with the revenue sharing, then they (tOSU, Bama, UGA, LSU, TX, TA&M, UCLA, USCw, USCe, OU, Michigan, MSU, another MSU, O, et al) need to be annexed to the NFL.

It's my feeling that REVENUE is already SHARED with the players: scholarships, medical attention, nutrition, best facilities imaginable, and many other things. And if they are good enough, they become instant millionaires by being able to play as true PROFESSIONALS in the NFL. Use that FREE education to get an OUTSTANDING education that will help you prosper in the future in any endeavor.

It just bothers me that these players would be PROFESSIONALS on a College/University campus.
this argument would be valid if the players werent already in the NFL's minor league. the nfl doesnt have a minor league. we are the minor league. they have no choice. no recourse. they cant move to europe for a year. they have to play for college for 3 years for an education they dont really want and they have no choice. that's what makes it wrong. theres no viable alternate route. any other talented college student can use their skills/talents to earn a living while they go to school. or leave school early and use their abilities to earn a living.

if youre a computer science major who is a gifted programmer and you start something called...lets sayyyy... microsoft or facebook, go get rich young man. there's no governing body that tells you you cant code for local businesses websites for extra money.

theres no one telling you if youre a theater major that you cant use your performing ability to be a youtube personality to make side money while youre in school. that is why its absurd and completely un american.

Last edited:

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
what makes this even more crazy is that the NCAA makes it harder for them to become pro athletes because they limit practice time and enforce academic progress when, for elite talents, what they really need is a pro style training regimen. who knows how freaks like trent richardson or jamarcus russell would have turned out if they actually went through a minor league farm system where they had no distractions from football?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
If they start paying players, then they need to start paying for internships and more benefits to Grad Teachers.
Yes, they should, as soon as 80,000+ start paying $100 a ticket each week to watch that happen (and when the number of people who could actually do that job gets to be less than .01% of the population).

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Yes, they should, as soon as 80,000+ start paying $100 a ticket each week to watch that happen (and when the number of people who could actually do that job gets to be less than .01% of the population).
Those 80,000 are paying for the school to give them the opportunity play and showcase their talent. It's a Catch-22!

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Those 80,000 are paying for the school to give them the opportunity play and showcase their talent. It's a Catch-22!
no it isnt. we pay for the tickets because they are playing. we dont pay to let them play. thats like saying "well i paid Ruths Chris 100 dollars to allow them to cook my dinner!! they should be thanking me for the opportunity and coming to my house to cook me dinner for free!"

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I had a step daughter who played in the band at the barn. I would estimate she spent as much or more time practising as the football team. She got $10 a day only when the band traveled, nothing else. Nothing but the fun of being there. She would have taken money but she knew going in what the deal was going to be. She loved every minute of it.

So does the band get paid too? How about golf, soccer, volleyball, ect.? This is a giant can of worms that does not need to be opened. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Don't like it, then don't play.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
No, I get you there. I am referring to the statement that they should give more to the interns and grad teachers. Unless they are referring to football GA's, I disagree. People are not going to turn out in droves to watch some grad student teach calculus to undergrads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.