Pick the score: Alabama vs. Clemson

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’m also surprised Clemson D not getting more respect. Bama played 3 teams with comparable defenses (LSU, MSU, UGA) & scored 29, 24, & 35. It is not unreasonable to think
Bama output will be similar vs tigers. 28-24 is not a bad prediction, but I’ll go with 31-24 Bama.
unless tua plays in this game injured, i don't think those games tell us much about how our o will perform against clemson's defense.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I know that this guarantees nothing, but Alabama's SOS is so much better than Clemson's that the two are not even comparable. Alabama still has to execute, but the reality is that Alabama has a much broader advantage than the stats show because of the difference in the level of the teams that those stats were produced against.

Check out the numbers here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Alabama's PSOS is ranked #20 while Clemson's is ranked #101.

The great thing about these ratings is that they are calculated on non-garbage time play only, and they remove FCS opponents. In other words, this represents how the teams played against opponents when the game was in doubt.
I mostly agree, but when Bama did face a team similar to Clemson (UGA) the score was close. Clemson played a soft schedule AND they are a great team, both things can be true. Clemson does bring a better offense to table than LSU or MSU, so there’s that. I think Clemson D will perform similar to UGA, MSU, LSU and keep Bama in the 25 to 35 point range.

What I think (or at least hope) will be the difference and is where the SOS will rear its head is that their freshman qb has not logged significant minutes against a good pass D. Other than in practice He’s not seen a front remotely as good as Bama’s and he’s not been in a pressure situation in 4th qtr once all season (he was watching from bench in 4th vs TAM & Syracuse). He is very poised for a freshman, but he’s not been truly tested either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I mostly agree, but when Bama did face a team similar to Clemson (UGA) the score was close. Clemson played a soft schedule AND they are a great team, both things can be true. Clemson does bring a better offense to table than LSU or MSU, so there’s that. I think Clemson D will perform similar to UGA, MSU, LSU and keep Bama in the 25 to 35 point range.

What I think (or at least hope) will be the difference and is where the SOS will rear its head is that their freshman qb has not logged significant minutes against a good pass D. Other than in practice He’s not seen a front remotely as good as Bama’s and he’s not been in a pressure situation in 4th qtr once all season (he was watching from bench in 4th vs TAM & Syracuse). He is very poised for a freshman, but he’s not been truly tested either.
Their defense is legit. Using FEI metrics, they are the 3rd best defense in the country (Alabama is #1 and MSU is #2). But Alabama has played many top FEI defensive teams this year. Tua is ready. Clemson has not. We have no idea what to expect from their offense.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
34-31 BAMA. I think it will be close.

Our O-Line must protect Tua from getting sacked and/or injured. That is a major factor to the game. If Tua has time to throw, hopefully he will be like Jake Bentley was and put up lots of yardage.

Current forecast calls for rain for several days prior to the game and on game day/night. With the field conditions and weather, turnovers could be a key to the game also. I sure hope the weather clears up and the field is in good condition.

I know the venues are set in advance, but it sure would be nice to have the game closer and/or at an indoor stadium. Personally I think all playoff games should be indoors, especially the NCG.

My next door neighbors (also good friends of ours) are Clemson fans.. so is my pastor and another friend at church. This time of year is kind of stressful for me. There is no trash talking either way, but we are all very passionate about our team. Hopefully, BAMA can get the Win and Saban can break Bear Bryant's record! RTR!

D Mac

Dec 10, 2018
Clemson has a good offensive line but not like Oklahoma's line. ND can got hits on Trevor Lawrence and sacked him a few times, then our guys should be able to as well. ND was able to shut down Clemson's running game except for one busted play. We will have to start the game off with getting the ball on the perimiters of Clemson's defense. We have more weapons on offense to distribute the ball too. Both teams special teams are well special. Give the edge to Bama, Bama wins 34 -20.

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Bama 45 Clemson 24 we will do our thing on offense and our D will not allow much. QB at clemson is good but not a runner, so he will get sacked, and that will welcome him to big time football. I expect this to go much like OU game, Bama will control the game and win. Tua just gives us something no one can stop. We can pass, and that will open the run, clemson is in for a long night.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
If you forget the regular season and just look at who each team has just faced in the past two games, the competition hasn’t been close. We played GA and they played Pittsburg, we played the number one offense in OK and they played a team even with the new quarterback, that had barely won most of their games.

I think who you play gives you an advantage because it raises your level of competition. OK gave us the top O and GA gave our offense the top Defense. Because that I predict we beat Clemson 38-21 and it’s never close. Roll Tide!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Their secondary is nowhere as good as those three you mentioned, especially LSU and UGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their secondary is nowhere as good as those three you mentioned, especially LSU and UGA.
Also, they don't play the same type of press coverage. If your receivers get a free release, they are lethal.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
So, I felt like Kyler Murray kept Oklahoma alive with his legs several times. I know Trevor Lawrence isn't exactly a statue sitting back there, but he is definitely not as fast as Kyler Murray. Kyler Murray is probably the second fastest QB we have ever faced behind Michael Vick. Travis Etienne is pretty scary, but we should be able to keep him in check for the most part. Clemson's defensive line is pretty scary, but we are heads and shoulders above Notre Dame in regards to offense. We'll get to Trevor several times and shake him up and Tua will burn the Clemson secondary a few times to make the difference.

Alabama 35 Clemson 27

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.