Game Thread: OFFICIAL PREGAME THREAD - Bama vs. The Cousin Clems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Puzzles me also - and it's also troublesome...
The second part of your statement is where I am. What does someone know that we don't.

Like I said, last year the spread was at -3.5, and every talking head picked Clemson. This could all be an attempt to pull in more money on the betting lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Heck, by game time, I hope we are underdogs..... Saban will use the line dropping to get inside the heads of his kids.....

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
We've been really bad ATS this year. May have more to do with it than the anticipation of a Clemson win.
I think our ATS spread issue this year is due to the fact that Coach Saban does not enjoy, (like other coaches), running up scores on other teams once the game is in hand. He calls off the dogs, let's the back ups play etc. We had time to beat the spread against Oklahoma, but we took a knee instead.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I think our ATS spread issue this year is due to the fact that Coach Saban does not enjoy, (like other coaches), running up scores on other teams once the game is in hand. He calls off the dogs, let's the back ups play etc. We had time to beat the spread against Oklahoma, but we took a knee instead.
Yup. My kids won't have a birthday party because of his poor decision making not to cover the spread (Blue font).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yup. My kids won't have a birthday party because of his poor decision making not to cover the spread (Blue font).

I saw that coming (so did the commentators). It's almost like he enjoys frustrating the gamblers. Also, I was thinking that, were the circumstances reversed, there's no way on earth the OU coach doesn't try to score once more, even though the Heisman voting was over...

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I saw that coming (so did the commentator). It's almost like he enjoys frustrating the gamblers. Also, I was thinking that, were the circumstances reversed, there's no way on earth the OU coach doesn't try to score once more, even though the Heisman voting was over...
You tell me the last time you saw a team less than 10 yards from the end zone with over a minute left kill the clock kneeling?

This has been Coach Saban for years. More than anything else I'm always shocked by how few people NOTICE this. He has repeatedly ended games with the lead and kneeling on the ball easily in scoring range.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I saw that coming (so did the commentator). It's almost like he enjoys frustrating the gamblers. Also, I was thinking that, were the circumstances reversed, there's no way on earth the OU coach doesn't try to score once more, even though the Heisman voting was over...
Heck, Saban seems to get angry with his players when they score in blowouts. and yes Riley would have scored again and on a pass at that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Coach Saban sees the knee as the sure thing. Running plays increases the chance of a fumble (possible return for a TD), onside kick, etc.

Taking a knee is almost a 100% sure thing......

The win is the win.....

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Coach Saban sees the knee as the sure thing. Running plays increases the chance of a fumble (possible return for a TD), onside kick, etc.

The win is the win.....
It's not just that. There have been well out of hand games, where there wasn't enough time for the other team to score enough points if we let them.

Take for instance James Franklin or harbaugh. Look back through their games and even with the lead and the win assured, still try to run up the score. People can hate Saban as much as they want but the only time he ever does anything remotely resembling "style points" is vs auburn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought our offensive prolificness and harassing nature of our DL really affected the sportsmanship we faced from opponents this season. This season had the worst opponent behavior of the Saban era. I know our guys don't chit-chat much so I don't think it was due to trash talk. I think it was due to us kicking teams asses in a way that is just too far for the opponents. The boa constrictor type offenses that sucked the life out teams just demoralized folks. This speedball offense that buries teams then unleashes our DL on teams forced to pass. That just ticks folks off. A lot more of the game is effectively garbage time and tempers boil over. I've never seen more instances of players explicitly trying to injure our guys and I'm not just talking about hits on Tua.

Imagine if Saban didn't have some class and call off the hounds?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The win is the win.....
Now, you're agreeing with the OU fans who said we knelt out of fear... :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
“Christian Miller is questionable for the game,” head coach Nick Saban said. “He hasn't been able to do a lot in practice. We'll sort of see what he can do today and sort of further evaluate his circumstance and see if he can be effective enough to contribute in a game.”

Saban doesn't like to play guys who can't get enough reps during the prep period. Starting to sound like we are going into this one without Christian Miller.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Now, you're agreeing with the OU fans who said we knelt out of fear... :D
Wait, are you serious? Should there have been blue font?

Were they scared we'd score, get them the ball with a minute remaining, and the timeless rule of "next to score wins" be enacted?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I saw that coming (so did the commentators). It's almost like he enjoys frustrating the gamblers. Also, I was thinking that, were the circumstances reversed, there's no way on earth the OU coach doesn't try to score once more, even though the Heisman voting was over...
I always felt like taking that knee was a greater insult than scoring while holding the moral high-ground. To me, it says, "We could score again, but we chose to pity you instead."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wait, are you serious? Should there have been blue font?

Were they scared we'd score, get them the ball with a minute remaining, and the timeless rule of "next to score wins" be enacted?

Pretty much. Third party observers thought the game was out of reach for OU, and, if Bama wanted to score multiple times, we could literally any time. We basically played prevent, made them burn time and burned clock ourselves. It reminded me of the old cartoons, where the taller fighter reaches out, puts a hand on the top of the head of his opponent and holds him at arm's length, while the opponent flails away at air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.