Shake up of bowl tie ins.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Extra bowls don't bother me - my father and I attended the Liberty Bowl on a whim yesterday and while there couldn't have been more than 30K in the stands (probably fewer), it was a blast and people travelled from all over to support their teams. Heck, the economic impact of even a small bowl like the Liberty Bowl is measured in the millions - that alone makes it good for host cities.

If people don't want to watch the smaller games, don't. I mean, who is embarrassed by 15k people showing up? Does that really bother you in any way?

I just enjoy watching football, and knowing that very soon CFB will be over for a long time doesn't make me think "less football is better"...
This x 1,000,000.

I understand the schools and conferences want to guarantee a certain amount of income from bowls and that the reason you see tie-ins and more and more bowls. I do wish someone would figure out a way to get better matchups of the major conference teams in the bowls. It is what it is, I guess.

But I love watching college football. And as anxious as I am for Monday to get here, I am also dreading what comes after: No football for almost 3/4 of a year.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I'll never understand why some people think that free enterprise should be restricted in some areas and not in others. To say that there are too many bowl games is no different than to say there are too many fast food franchises or too many grocery stores.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I will beat my dead horse for the final time in 2018. 39 freaking bowl games with attendances in the 13K-35K, that is embarrassing. 15 bowls would host the top 30 teams. Possibly 20 bowls, but no more. Yes in dissolving the conference bowl tie-ins.
But today is a new year, and you can start all over again! (You knew I was going to say that, so it had to be said..............expectations and all.)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'll never understand why some people think that free enterprise should be restricted in some areas and not in others. To say that there are too many bowl games is no different than to say there are too many fast food franchises or too many grocery stores.
But..............is it real "free enterprise", or just a rigged system?

See below:

ESPN Events own 13 of the bowls, including the Birmingham and Camellia. ESPN needs programming during the last 2 weeks of the year. The actual attendance doesn't matter. These bowls would not exist without ESPN.

Oh, and the Myrtle Beach Bowl is coming in 2020.
Not only that, but ESPN has the broadcast rights to darn near all the rest. Which, to some of us, moves the concept of a bowl game from a "meaningless exhibition" to a "staged meaningless exhibition".

As long as ESPN can afford to buy bowl games, there will be no contraction. Just more of the same.

As to the "if you don't want to watch them, then don't!" argument.............

Yes, I neither like or watch them. Except, of course, ours. Which is what really sets me off...............

I can not listen to our radio pre-game, game, or post-game coverage, when we are in the playoffs, thanks to ESPN. I can only listen to our game coverage, on ESPN, and only when they deem it part of what they want us to hear. The second Eli says "Stay tuned for our post game..................."

"The event you were watching has ended."

And don't ask about how reliable their streaming is.............................

(OK, Learfield has its own problems, as well.)

</rant>

Over to you, Gray!

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
But..............is it real "free enterprise", or just a rigged system?

See below:

Not only that, but ESPN has the broadcast rights to darn near all the rest. Which, to some of us, moves the concept of a bowl game from a "meaningless exhibition" to a "staged meaningless exhibition".

As long as ESPN can afford to buy bowl games, there will be no contraction. Just more of the same.

As to the "if you don't want to watch them, then don't!" argument.............

Yes, I neither like or watch them. Except, of course, ours. Which is what really sets me off...............

I can not listen to our radio pre-game, game, or post-game coverage, when we are in the playoffs, thanks to ESPN. I can only listen to our game coverage, on ESPN, and only when they deem it part of what they want us to hear. The second Eli says "Stay tuned for our post game..................."

"The event you were watching has ended."

And don't ask about how reliable their streaming is.............................

(OK, Learfield has its own problems, as well.)

</rant>

Over to you, Gray!
Is it a "rigged system" that prevents me from opening a hamburger stand and calling it McDonald's, using their logos and signage, mimicking their menu item names, etc?

How many college football programs would survive without television contracts and corporate sponsorship from athletic equipment suppliers? Maybe they could offer a handful of scholarships and pay the entire coaching staff $100K off of ticket sales alone.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Here are the bowls OWNED by ESPN:

Texas Bowl
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
Bahamas Bowl
Birmingham Bowl
Celebration Bowl
Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl
Potato Bowl
Frisco Bowl
New Mexico Bowl
Hawai’i Bowl
Las Vegas Bowl
Armed Forces Bowl
Camellia Bowl
First Responder Bowl

In addition, 35 of 40 bowl games are broadcast on a Disney/ESPN/ABC platform. As long as ESPN has the money to outbid the other networks, nothing will change. My only thing is that I would like for all bowl games to be regional. There's no reason for LSU & UCF to be in Arizona. Keep them in the South. Let the Big 10 and MAC schools slog it out in the rain and snow at Yankee Stadium.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Extra bowls don't bother me - my father and I attended the Liberty Bowl on a whim yesterday and while there couldn't have been more than 30K in the stands (probably fewer), it was a blast and people travelled from all over to support their teams. Heck, the economic impact of even a small bowl like the Liberty Bowl is measured in the millions - that alone makes it good for host cities.

If people don't want to watch the smaller games, don't. I mean, who is embarrassed by 15k people showing up? Does that really bother you in any way?

I just enjoy watching football, and knowing that very soon CFB will be over for a long time doesn't make me think "less football is better"...
Yup. I went with my UCF cousins (oh they are annoying) when an 11-2 UCF played Miss. St. which was the 8th ranked team in the SEC. they were shocked when I told them State would dominate them. They were like but they are 6-6 and we’re Champions. Anyway state dominated the game but the stadium was packed and UCF had 30k and that was impressive for a really young program. The bowl and the fans helped them get their program on the map and it was really fun to see totally different fans and traditions on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
I would like to see no bowl tie-ins at all. Make them all bid for teams each year, and let the schools decide where to go based on their offers. But it isn't going to happen.
Kind of sorta.... let’s rotate the NC game among the 4-6 top bowls with them (bowls) choosing. Hypothetically, Rose Bowl gets year 1. They have the first two picks. Orange Bowl gets the next picks and hosts the next years NC game, etc. Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach. Each has to pony up $xxx for their year to host NC game.

No computers no faux selection committee. Pressure now on the Bowl committees in getting it right.

Schools obligated to who picks them.

Just kind of thinking out loud. Flame away

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kind of sorta.... let’s rotate the NC game among the 4-6 top bowls with them (bowls) choosing. Hypothetically, Rose Bowl gets year 1. They have the first two picks. Orange Bowl gets the next picks and hosts the next years NC game, etc. Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Peach. Each has to pony up $xxx for their year to host NC game.

No computers no faux selection committee. Pressure now on the Bowl committees in getting it right.

Schools obligated to who picks them.

Just kind of thinking out loud. Flame away
I don't think that we are including the CFP teams in this, are we?

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
I don't think that we are including the CFP teams in this, are we?
Let the bowls decide, eliminating the tie-ins. I know I am old fashioned but let’s get rid of the clutter. Fire away, cuz I am in a dream world....LOL...but I am love with no conference tie-ins.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let the bowls decide, eliminating the tie-ins. I know I am old fashioned but let’s get rid of the clutter. Fire away, cuz I am in a dream world....LOL...but I am love with no conference tie-ins.
Nope - no way. We are not going back to the pre-BCS days. Full flame thrower mode at this suggestion.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It would be cool to see an SEC in the rose bowl on years where it's not a cfp/c game. But some people like the traditions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I always liked the TRADITION of Alabama playing in the Rose Bowl in the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. I guess the PAC got tired of losing to Bama, so they called the Big Ten after that mid-1940's beat down of USC by Bama!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
P. S. I don't like the National Championship game being played where it is this year. I've got a feeling there will be EMPTY seats at the Levi 501 Stadium Bowl.

Maybe the deciders should wait until after the first playoff game, to determine where the Championship Game will be played. Give the Playoff teams TWO weeks between games. Two southeast teams should NOT have to travel to the West Coast to play a game UNLESS it's in the Rose Bowl. Why Santa Clara? It's NOT a traditional January 1 Bowl!

I'r rather see it in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or another location that's fan friendly: economically, travel, etc. There's NO doubt that the cities mentioned would have sell-outs. NO to Santa Clara.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
P. S. I don't like the National Championship game being played where it is this year. I've got a feeling there will be EMPTY seats at the Levi 501 Stadium Bowl.

Maybe the deciders should wait until after the first playoff game, to determine where the Championship Game will be played. Give the Playoff teams TWO weeks between games. Two southeast teams should NOT have to travel to the West Coast to play a game UNLESS it's in the Rose Bowl. Why Santa Clara? It's NOT a traditional January 1 Bowl!

I'r rather see it in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or another location that's fan friendly: economically, travel, etc. There's NO doubt that the cities mentioned would have sell-outs. NO to Santa Clara.
I think it's not realistic.

I know that every year after each post season game I book my hotel where the post season games are. If you tried to do that with possibly one weeks notice....?

Hotels could and would demand whatever price they wanted. Airfares would be even worse than now. This already expensive event would become cost prohibitive

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.