Shake up of bowl tie ins.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think the bowls having to bid for teams may run off some of the bottom feeders or make them up the ante in order to get off the bottom of the pecking order.
I want the bowls continue to support the games, but maybe shake things up by Playing The Game at The Higher Rated Teams Home Field.
(That will never Happen, but I can dream, can't I?)

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
This x 1,000,000.

I understand the schools and conferences want to guarantee a certain amount of income from bowls and that the reason you see tie-ins and more and more bowls. I do wish someone would figure out a way to get better matchups of the major conference teams in the bowls. It is what it is, I guess.

But I love watching college football. And as anxious as I am for Monday to get here, I am also dreading what comes after: No football for almost 3/4 of a year.
Here here!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Normally don’t listen to Finebaum but had a long drive home so I flipped it on to listen.
He was talking with Bill Bender of the Sporting News about bowls/sponsorship. Finebaum stated that many of the bowl sponsors (even the major bowls) are getting more and more uneasy with their investment in these games. Many are feeling they aren’t getting “the bang for the buck” they should be from these games. And they point to lower attendance at many of these games as “apathy” for the game.
The major concern isn’t programs like Alabama, Clemson, and the blue bloods. They will always draw. But outside of those programs, interest and attendance has begun to dwindle. A most of the corporate people see it as a trend not likely to end soon. The aging baby boomers fans are being replaced by younger customers that (as Finebaum put it) “are more interested in quality WIFI than they are quality football or a quality program”. And both Finebaum and Bender alluded that some of the sponsors are only still aligned with the some of the bowls via some “arm twisting” from the networks.

He also stated that decrease in attendance across the board at regular season games (even among students) has AD’s very concerned. The goose that laid the golden in conference networks aligned major programming via ESPN and others may turnout to be a detriment in the long run.
It was a rather interesting discussion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.