40 Years ago tonight! One of my favorite Bama teams of all time!

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Wasn't Barry Krause the one that told them "you better pass"? Seems like it was only maybe 10 years ago and yes I'm getting old.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
That's a moment I'll never forget. It was just a couple of years after I became an Alabama football fan. Perhaps the greatest individual effort from a player (Krauss) that I've ever seen. What's great about the game also was the way it was set up. Paterno wanted to play in the Orange Bowl but Coach Bryant called him up a few times and finally convinced him to play. No need for a playoff committee or BCS computer rankings, just a couple of coaches making it happen.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Perhaps the greatest individual feat of that sequence was Don McNeal covering ground on the swing pass on 3rd down and getting the receiver out of bounds before he could cross the goal line.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Perhaps the greatest individual feat of that sequence was Don McNeal covering ground on the swing pass on 3rd down and getting the receiver out of bounds before he could cross the goal line.
Definitely this. The goal line stand was and is an iconic moment in Tide history, but it was made possible by McNeal's even more impressive individual effort on that play.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yep, it was Marty Lyons................I remember watching that game with my father when I was a kid. It was an awesome game, and I will never forget the look on Paterno's face at the end of the game.............
Knowing now what was going on with his DC makes me feel even better about the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The first Alabama game I ever saw.

Wish I could say I understood the importance of the Goal Line Stand, but I didn't (at the time).

Or how difficult one is.

I remember being happy about it and thrilled, but I didn't know the rest. I just knew the first time I saw us play we won.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.