Made my OU buddy mad. Do not do this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Several friends of mine at church are Sooners - they've always been gracious in winning or losing. They all thought OU had a shot to beat Bama, but all readily admitted it was a long shot. Of course, all were disappointed but again, gracious, on Sunday.

Most fans are like this. Most forum posters are not. I'm not sure why most forums are different, but they are.

That said, Bama would beat OU 10 games out of 10 and would have embarrassed them if Saban had kept his foot on the pedal instead of slowing it down to eat clock.
It's the invincibility of the anonymous keyboard and never having to back up what you type. On mixed/neutral fan sites and also in the eyes of virtually all commentators (except maybe writers earning their keep in Soonerland), the chorus has been that they never had a chance. This seems particularly to infuriate them, since it interferes with the narrative of their delusion. It'll be interesting to look in from time to time in the future and see how their delusion progresses, as they reinforce one another...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The big difference was in 03-04 Oklahoma was the top dog whereas now we are. Oklahoma fans want us to admit they kicked the crap out of us, but they feel cheated when we say “ yeah, but who cares?”.
What's hilarious to me is that OU won the 02 & 03 games by a combined 17 points (10 in 02, 7 in 03). Yeah, they 'beat the crap' out of a 4-9 Alabama team by seven whole points, LOL.

Even when Bama sucks they're almost as good as OU in their prime, so I wish their fans would stop comparing the programs. They've been 'successful' by playing in a crappy conference for decades, but have won ONE national championship in the last 32 years - and that was 15 years ago.

*yawn*

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Just point out to your buddy that we could have won that game with our backup QB.
I have a Georgia fan friend that was telling me all about how Tua is great until he faces a real defense blah blah blah. I asked him if he realizes that Bama whipped them two years in a row with our backup QB. Crickets ...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What's hilarious to me is that OU won the 02 & 03 games by a combined 17 points (10 in 02, 7 in 03). Yeah, they 'beat the crap' out of a 4-9 Alabama team by seven whole points, LOL.

Even when Bama sucks they're almost as good as OU in their prime, so I wish their fans would stop comparing the programs. They've been 'successful' by playing in a crappy conference for decades, but have won ONE national championship in the last 32 years - and that was 15 years ago.

*yawn*
Yeah you don’t see many Alabama fans beating their chest because we finally got revenge on a horrible Louisville.

I lived in Nebraska during the Sugar Bowl, and there are a lot of them there. Sooner fans lost their dang mind after that game and tried to say they were “dynasty killers”, saying Saban should bring his butt to Texas where Stoops could beat him more, and Oklahoma was Bama’s daddy . It was kinda of a surprise coming from them.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I live in Oklahoma and deck out in script A’s and crimson almost everyday. No single person I’ve talked to in person has been delusional to me. I just simply tell them it was going to be the same result for ANY team you put in front of Bama. Sorry it had to be y’all. Enjoy those three wins between 1968-2018 sooner faithful.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Several friends of mine at church are Sooners - they've always been gracious in winning or losing. They all thought OU had a shot to beat Bama, but all readily admitted it was a long shot. Of course, all were disappointed but again, gracious, on Sunday.

Most fans are like this. Most forum posters are not. I'm not sure why most forums are different, but they are.

That said, Bama would beat OU 10 games out of 10 and would have embarrassed them if Saban had kept his foot on the pedal instead of slowing it down to eat clock.
True. In fact, their offense was getting gassed. We were able to sub so liberally as the game wore on, their OL was visibly tired, as was KM, with all his running around. Of course, he's built to endure that. There's a reason marathoners aren't built like OLs... :D

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The big difference was in 03-04 Oklahoma was the top dog whereas now we are. Oklahoma fans want us to admit they kicked the crap out of us, but they feel cheated when we say “ yeah, but who cares?”.

OU for the most part has a very comparable fan base to us but after bob stoops started his crusade against the SEC and beat Bama in the same year they started to get very arrogant and obnoxious. Again they are nowhere as bad as Texas or Nebraska fans
Good point on Stoops' campaign. Like teams, fanbases tend to take on the personality of their head coach, most especially if he's successful.

Regarding Stoops in particular, he seems to think that if you say it loud and long enough, it will become true. Logic doesn't matter, and valid comparisons don't matter. Just repeat it loud enough and long enough in front of enough people, and sooner or later they all believe what you're saying, truth be damned. So even if it isn't true, for a whole lot of people, it might as well be.

Interestingly, there's a lot of precedent for that in history. Both Hitler and Stalin used it to get whole populations to buy into humongous lies.

Yeah, those are the teachers I'd want to emulate.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It's the invincibility of the anonymous keyboard and never having to back up what you type. On mixed/neutral fan sites and also in the eyes of virtually all commentators (except maybe writers earning their keep in Soonerland), the chorus has been that they never had a chance. This seems particularly to infuriate them, since it interferes with the narrative of their delusion. It'll be interesting to look in from time to time in the future and see how their delusion progresses, as they reinforce one another...
I love the internet until I hate the internet!

I often wonder if most of those guys who cause trouble are guys that live in the mom's basement and haven't had a date in their adult lives and can't carry on a face to face conversation with anybody cause they just live online.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

*yawn*
That ‘03 OU team beat a Vince Young led 10-3 Texas 65-13. Just goes to show those Bama guys had fight in them. Never gave up.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Message boards are different for several reasons but I would suggest two primary ones:

1) Anonymity
2) Lots of courage saying something behind a keyboard rather than in person. See one of our NS sports boards for another example of this, haha

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with OU fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Their delusion begins with their HC. Post game he said, “They our played us early but we pretty much out played them the rest of the way.”

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Their delusion begins with their HC. Post game he said, “They our played us early but we pretty much out played them the rest of the way.”

I hope he believes it. If he does, he just capped a hard ceiling on their potential...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Am I off? Or is this a fair comparison. OU and Arkansas game were similar, with OU having a much better QB.
No you're not off, you're dead on. They were no threat to beat us. We could have easily put up 60+ on them if we wanted to. Murray going down one-handed showed me all I needed to know, as well as the play where Jacobs embarrassed that safety. They were absolutely scared on defense and did NOT want to even tackle us, much less show up to beat us.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Baker Mayfield is one of the best quarterbacks in my recent memory. meh about the others. Murray is a runner playing quarterback. He would be a short lived gimmick in the NFL.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...I’ve had nothing but good experiences with OU fans.

I used to feel this way, but not any more. It might be different for Tide fans (like Selma, Wylie, Cuda, me, et al.) living in Dallas, because of the concentration of Sooner fans and alumni in the area. All I know is that even seemingly rational, reasonable people who double as OU fans got bat poop crazy in their derogatory Alabama comments post-2013 and in the run up to this game. And add this: after 2013, I sent every Sooner friend a congratulatory email or text, plus uploaded a congrats post on social media. Number of Sooner friends who returned the favor this year? Zero and counting. The closest I got was this, on Facebook: “Regardless of the result, [tags me], most points scored against Alabama this year.” I suppose that passes for class in the OU fan base.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I once heard two women argue over which planets that certain sets of aliens (on Earth) came from. That argument was almost as pointless as this one.
It makes me laugh that people just "think" that 5-stars just show up just because we are Bama. They have the thought that Coach Saban only wins because all these kids "just show up", they seem to forget that recruiting is actually a part of being a head coach and a part of a college program. They don't realize that their "favorite coach" couldn't win as much here because they couldn't snag the type of players we do year in and year out. They won't even admit Saban is the best coach of our lifetime because they think it's truly that easy to get recruits here.

Saban promised Coach Moore that he would NEVER be outrecruited and that is why he overhauled the staff after last years "debacle" (if you can even call it that). THAT is why Coach Saban recruits and gets the best. The rest are just playing for 2nd no matter who they are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.