Made my OU buddy mad. Do not do this.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
Was having an amicable conversation about the game. Told him OU had a good team. Left out that they were dirty.

Conversation turns to he thinks OU was mounting a comeback. I compared the game to the Arkansas game I attended. But OU had a better QB. He flips out about Arkansas comparison.

I pointed out it was like 40 to 14 at half. Fairly similar. Pointed out final score was like 62 to 31. Fairly similar if we didn’t kneel and bs TD called back for lining up wrong.

He goes to the phone and finds out Bama gave up about the same amount of yards to Arkansas.

Am I off? Or is this a fair comparison. OU and Arkansas game were similar, with OU having a much better QB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Was having an amicable conversation about the game. Told him OU had a good team. Left out that they were dirty.

Conversation turns to he thinks OU was mounting a comeback. I compared the game to the Arkansas game I attended. But OU had a better QB. He flips out about Arkansas comparison.

I pointed out it was like 40 to 14 at half. Fairly similar. Pointed out final score was like 62 to 31. Fairly similar if we didn’t kneel and bs TD called back for lining up wrong.

He goes to the phone and finds out Bama gave up about the same amount of yards to Arkansas.

Am I off? Or is this a fair comparison. OU and Arkansas game were similar, with OU having a much better QB.
Up to you, but I quit even reading their boards, let alone discussing it in person. I shut the most immature of their boards down when I read a post to the effect that we took a knee out of fear they might get a turnover and score. That was a little too much delusion, following a earlier flood...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I got fed up with OU fans when I started to get the idea that a lot of them legitimately think they've had some of the best quarterbacks in recent memory.

Heupel? Got hurt
White? Got hurt
Bradford? Got hurt
Mayfield? First ballot NFL hall of famer
Murray? Clearly more deserving than Tua because his rating was like .1 better or something.

Just no logical discussion to be had there.
If you want to make OU fans mad, point out that if Tua had been playing for Oklahoma the game would have been closer. Murray was off on a lot of passes.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The comparison of the games is not far off. The comparison of the two teams is, however. After all, Oklahoma did go 12-1, and Arkansas lost to North Texas.

But the games played out very similarly. They are offended because they are delusional about their team. Oklahoma was never going to win that game. We could have played 4 more quarters and the result would have been the same.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I stopped having real discussions with most of the ones I know after years of constantly bringing up the Sugar Bowl and getting mad that the game doesn’t matter to me to the degree they want it to. Oklahoma fans are far better than Texas and Nebraska fans but good god they don’t know when to stop sometimes when beating an irrelevant game across your head. I mean does that Boise game really keep you up at night that bad?

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
OU surely don’t want to hear about our lack of focus in the SugarcBowl.

Try to explain the team was going for a 3 peat and lost out on a kick six. And expect them to be excited to play in a meaningless game and be fully prepared.

Some teams would be thrilled to play in the Sugar Bowl. Real times will be sick to play in the Sugar Bowl. That is the difference in expectations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've got two super classy Sooner friends that I talk football with pretty frequently. They both reached out after the game and congratulated me. One's exact words were: "Awesome display. Tide was on cruise control after 28-0 start." He gets it.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Up to you, but I quit even reading their boards, let alone discussing it in person. I shut the most immature of their boards down when I read a post to the effect that we took a knee out of fear they might get a turnover and score. That was a little too much delusion, following a earlier flood...
I think we read the same board. It was a good laugh when I read the "taking the knee our of fear". I'm glad I don't have any OU buddies to make mad!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Boss is a Sooner fan. He texted me before the game and after the game. Normal "Let's do this!" and "Congratulations" type texts. He loves the Sooners, but he is a good man and he isn't going to take a sports loss personally.

We will talk about it at length some time this week, and I will be sure to only talk about the things that the Sooners did well. Not because he can't handle the truth, but because he will talk about the things that Alabama did well. See, that's the way that these conversations are supposed to go.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Boss is a Sooner fan. He texted me before the game and after the game. Normal "Let's do this!" and "Congratulations" type texts. He loves the Sooners, but he is a good man and he isn't going to take a sports loss personally.

We will talk about it at length some time this week, and I will be sure to only talk about the things that the Sooners did well. Not because he can't handle the truth, but because he will talk about the things that Alabama did well. See, that's the way that these conversations are supposed to go.
Unfortunately, thats not a conversation you can have with Auburn fans I work with. Its a shame people can't act like adults after a game.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Good post.

My Physical therapist is a big OU fan. We talk football a lot. Last week he kept saying Bama would win by 2-3 touchdowns, and I kept telling him it may be close.. you never know. He does not like Saban or Alabama, and I don't think he likes Clemson much either. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about the game when I go to PT Thursday.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Good post.

My Physical therapist is a big OU fan. We talk football a lot. Last week he kept saying Bama would win by 2-3 touchdowns, and I kept telling him it may be close.. you never know. He does not like Saban or Alabama, and I don't think he likes Clemson much either. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about the game when I go to PT Thursday.
My PT is a Clemson fan...she is doing "needling" (accupuncture) on my leg and back...along with stem (electric stimulation) while the needles are inserted. I'm not going to say anything to rile her up...but it sure feels good after the fact!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm genuinely surprised at the yapping and delusion from so many of the OU fanbase.

The OU fans I met in Norman and Tuscaloosa during the home-and-home in 2002 and 2003 were great. The ones on this board, too. Wishbonesooner and Owenfielddreams are good members of the TF community, and I value their perspective.

So I was honestly blindsided by the constant referrals to 2014, 0-3 against them since the 1960s, the invincibility of their offense, etc., etc. Then their dirty play, most especially #75. How he wasn't ejected for any of several actions, I can't explain.

Now a lot of their fans are saying they were mounting a comeback, and we were afraid of them.....just ludicrous.

Every fanbase has their crazies, including ours. But whereas OFD and WBS were the norm among the OU fans I met, it now appears reversed. They're reminding me of the UTw fans whining about if Colt hadn't gotten hurt, only more obnoxious.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Several friends of mine at church are Sooners - they've always been gracious in winning or losing. They all thought OU had a shot to beat Bama, but all readily admitted it was a long shot. Of course, all were disappointed but again, gracious, on Sunday.

Most fans are like this. Most forum posters are not. I'm not sure why most forums are different, but they are.

That said, Bama would beat OU 10 games out of 10 and would have embarrassed them if Saban had kept his foot on the pedal instead of slowing it down to eat clock.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I'm genuinely surprised at the yapping and delusion from so many of the OU fanbase.

The OU fans I met in Norman and Tuscaloosa during the home-and-home in 2002 and 2003 were great. The ones on this board, too. Wishbonesooner and Owenfielddreams are good members of the TF community, and I value their perspective.

So I was honestly blindsided by the constant referrals to 2014, 0-3 against them since the 1960s, the invincibility of their offense, etc., etc. Then their dirty play, most especially #75. How he wasn't ejected for any of several actions, I can't explain.

Now a lot of their fans are saying they were mounting a comeback, and we were afraid of them.....just ludicrous.

Every fanbase has their crazies, including ours. But whereas OFD and WBS were the norm among the OU fans I met, it now appears reversed. They're reminding me of the UTw fans whining about if Colt hadn't gotten hurt, only more obnoxious.
My sister and brother-in-law live out in Amarillo and my niece went to OU. When they visited prior to Christmas, they said that OU fans were getting too big for their britches.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we read the same board. It was a good laugh when I read the "taking the knee our of fear". I'm glad I don't have any OU buddies to make mad!
You know, I've had good friends in the past who were Sooner fans, but I don't currently...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The big difference was in 03-04 Oklahoma was the top dog whereas now we are. Oklahoma fans want us to admit they kicked the crap out of us, but they feel cheated when we say “ yeah, but who cares?”.

OU for the most part has a very comparable fan base to us but after bob stoops started his crusade against the SEC and beat Bama in the same year they started to get very arrogant and obnoxious. Again they are nowhere as bad as Texas or Nebraska fans

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.