Game Thread: FIESTA BOWL: LSU vs UCF (1/1 @ Noon CT| ESPN)

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I spent an hour going through the NCAA rule book after that. The only reference to controlling the ball "through the catch" is on a forward pass. There is no such requirement for a kick anywhere, and it should not be assumed in my opinion. If there is a question whether he had the ball when he went down, that is another issue, but it looked to me like he had a grip on it until the ground caused it to come out. I maintain the position that it was a bad call.
http://amarefs.org/FR16.pdf
The key rule is 2-4-3. Gaining possession of a kick or fumble or pass while it is still airborne is a catch and all provisions still apply. Recovery of a grounded kick or fumble also apply.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Re: L8U vs Cinderella

This was a tough game for LSU. Yes, we had 2 guys quit on us. Be happy you are playing in the playoffs so guys who go pro won’t exit early. We made a lot of mistakes. We have to get better mentally. We have no home run hitters on offense, but that changes with some of the Fr we bring in next year. Hats off to the guys who played, even if they were playing out of position. They gave it their all. Finally, Joe Burrow is a tough son of a gun. I’ll take that guy into battle any day. I’m not a person who complains about officials, but they need to get better too. I’m glad we could shut up UCF for you. Now, go finish a real undefeated season against Clemson.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Hats off to the guys who played, even if they were playing out of position. They gave it their all. Finally, Joe Burrow is a tough son of a gun. I’ll take that guy into battle any day. I’m not a person who complains about officials, but they need to get better too.
Absolutely agree on all three points. The team could have quit, but they fought hard for 60 minutes. People are critical of Burrow, but he reminds me of Jake Coker (minus the arm power Coker had) - tough as nails and willing to whatever it takes to win. And the officiating did suck - CFU was absolutely given points, but L8U prevailed due to better talent, despite losing all those starters.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If that's the rule then the game has lost all connection to common sense . And while we're at it, that a caught ball must follow through maintaining possession as you hit the ground is stupid, too. AND, calling targeting on a DB who hits a player in the helmet as that player dips his head is even more stupid. Why is the Offensive guy not called for targeting for dipping his head? Both should be ejected if we're going to maintain sensibility.

I'm just looking for consistency and common sense application. What I've seen over the last week is all manner of idiocy in both the rules "as written" and "as applied' (or not applied).

It's worn me out from yelling at the TV ;)
Want to talk about common sense then how about that plane of the end zone. When the ball breaks the plane of the sideline it should be out of bounds and dragging the foot should not matter. I guess I mean why doesn't the sideline have a plane just like the endline.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If dismissing UCF is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thanks LSU for saving humanity from the ludicrous spectacle of another UCF national championship charade/parade.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Want to talk about common sense then how about that plane of the end zone. When the ball breaks the plane of the sideline it should be out of bounds and dragging the foot should not matter. I guess I mean why doesn't the sideline have a plane just like the endline.
Makes sense to me ;). I’m keeping a list :D

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

The "If Milton wasn't hurt" excuse is garbage. Conversely, how many L8U players were hurt, sitting out, or ejected? They were playing a 3rd string secondary, one of which was a WR playing corner. With ACC refs in their pocket
They got boat-raced by a team that couldn't even score on us in a much more meaningful game than this.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Next month, somewhere in a third world country, there will be a child wearing an unsold "UCF 2018 national champions" tee shirt. :biggrin:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Saw UCF fans touting their undefeated streak is still alive for regular season games :biggrin:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If dismissing UCF is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thanks LSU for saving humanity from the ludicrous spectacle of another UCF national championship charade/parade.
I was really hoping that LSU would put up 100+ points on UCF. Also, someone needs to BLINDSIDE that 300+ pounder that BLINDSIDED Burrow! Look at the neck injuries on Burrow after that hit. Well, I guess the NECK is not part of the head to officials. And I do think that that fat dude's helmet hit Burrow's helmet. I honestly think he should have been EJECTED!!!!!!! If Burrow had been decapitated, the officials would not have ejected that guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.