Will the CFP committee finally realize ND does not belong?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Frankly, I'm not concerned with whether ND joins a conference and don't know why anyone else cares either.

As long as they continue to schedule P5 schools any none or one loss ND will get equal consideration.
I'll bet a dollar that a single loss team will be ranked above a no loss ND team for the next 3 years, every year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Frankly, I'm not concerned with whether ND joins a conference and don't know why anyone else cares either.

As long as they continue to schedule P5 schools any none or one loss ND will get equal consideration.
But do you think they are worthy as undefeated or a one loss team by being able to cherry pick their schedule?

What if a undefeated ND (or, heaven forbid, a one loss ND team) goes in ahead of us with one loss sometime in the near future?

As long as the college football PTB allow ND to operate by different rules (so to speak) but treats them as if they are equally deserving that is something I think that should concern us. At least it concerns me.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
This is spot on with regard to the Big Ten, whose members refused to play a Catholic school in the early days, though I’m not convinced it’s relevant to their aversion to other conferences in football. ND has taken that discrimination and turned it into the defining experience of ND football nationhood, which is what Father Jenkins means when he talks about football independence being part of their identity as a school...
Let them choose between their school identity and playing in a conference (and eligibility for the playoffs)...that’s up to them.

The rest of college football isn’t bound by their identity.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
But do you think they are worthy as undefeated or a one loss team by being able to cherry pick their schedule?

What if a undefeated ND (or, heaven forbid, a one loss ND team) goes in ahead of us with one loss sometime in the near future?

As long as the college football PTB allow ND to operate by different rules (so to speak) but treats them as if they are equally deserving that is something I think that should concern us. At least it concerns me.
I've said repeatedly that going to a BCS-like formula to determine the participants is the best method to choose the best teams and keep the politics to a minimum. ND likely gets in under that scenario, though not a slam dunk.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Notre Dame should have been the fourth seed. I would have ranked Georgia third. Any true football fan knows that Georgia was number three behind Bama and Clemson but the committee couldn't take the heat of putting a second SEC team in the BCS over the B!G and Big12 champs, each with one less loss.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Not unless ND joins a conference. The Pac? ACC? but no, not until that happens. If they join a conference they'll be considered again assuming they won said conference.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll bite. So, how long ago was that? It would be hard to convince me that, during the past several conference expansions, not a single conference was willing to take the Irish. They are presently not in a conference for one simple reason: they don't want to be.
Why would Notre Dame want to split their money with 9, 11, or 13 other people?

(So many fans on this board keep THINKING college football is about something other than what it actually is - money.

Notre Dame would lose money if joining a conference, because they'd lose the NBC deal and they'd have to split bowl revenue, etc.

Actually, they are currently in a conference: of one, and are essentially the 6th P5 conference. They don't have to share any of that NBC money, don't have a conference championship game, and schedule as they wish. While The Committee can't force them join a conference, they do have the ability to punish them for electing not to do so - whether or not they have the intestinal fortitude to do that is another issue.

The committee isn't going to "exclude" one of the biggest draws (still) in CFB when it means more money in those big games for other teams.

The funny thing is this: it's the echo chamber of FANS who keep arguing "they should join a conference."

Unless "winning your conference" becomes a REQUIREMENT (which most Bama fans don't want btw), there is no reason for them to join one.

(How is it so many folks cannot see the contradiction between those two statements?)

Notre Dame played a tougher schedule than Clemson did.
Notre Dame went undefeated against that schedule.
Notre Dame was NOT one of the four best teams in college football.

But they were also not undeserving of the game, either.

If Georgia wants in the playoff, don't get blown out by an LSU team having trouble with UCF.
If Ohio St wants in, don't get blown out by Purdue.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not unless ND joins a conference. The Pac? ACC? but no, not until that happens. If they join a conference they'll be considered again assuming they won said conference.
So you're arguing "conference champions only?"

Kmqybama

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 29, 2018
I’m OK with ND not being in a conference so long as the committee would honestly evaluate them the same as they do the P5 teams. What I mean by that is the committee should mentally “place” ND in each conference and judge where they would be then. If ND were magically added to the ACC this year do they finish undefeated? We know the answer to that. At best they would have been drubbed by Clemson in the conference championship game. Would they have even made the SEC CG? LOL. What about the Big 12? Very doubtful at best. B1G? Maybe they could have claimed tOSU’s spot..... oh, I forgot. tOSU didn’t have a spot.

I understand the history and tradition behind ND not joining a conference but one reason they won’t join one now is that would be the end of their chances to ever make the playoffs. As things are now they will get a shot every few years, deserved or not.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I’m OK with ND not being in a conference so long as the committee would honestly evaluate them the same as they do the P5 teams. What I mean by that is the committee should mentally “place” ND in each conference and judge where they would be then. If ND were magically added to the ACC this year do they finish undefeated? We know the answer to that. At best they would have been drubbed by Clemson in the conference championship game. Would they have even made the SEC CG? LOL. What about the Big 12? Very doubtful at best. B1G? Maybe they could have claimed tOSU’s spot..... oh, I forgot. tOSU didn’t have a spot.

I understand the history and tradition behind ND not joining a conference but one reason they won’t join one now is that would be the end of their chances to ever make the playoffs. As things are now they will get a shot every few years, deserved or not.
I'm sorry, but this is a silly argument. You can only judge a team by what they have done, not by some strange hypothetical.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Date Opponent Location
09/02 TBA Louisville Louisville, KY —
09/14 TBA New Mexico Notre Dame, IN —
09/21 TBA Georgia Athens, GA —
09/28 TBA Virginia Notre Dame, IN —
10/05 TBA Bowling Green Notre Dame, IN —
10/12 TBA Southern California Notre Dame, IN —
10/26 TBA Michigan Ann Arbor, MI —
11/02 TBA Virginia Tech Notre Dame, IN —
11/09 TBA Duke Durham, NC —
11/16 TBA Navy Notre Dame, IN —
11/23 TBA Boston College Notre Dame, IN —
11/30 TBA Stanford Stanford, CA —
Key: – Night Game

This is ND's 2019 schedule. With the exception of Georgia, what will their record be 11-1?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Where ND would finish in a conference is irrelevant unless you are saying “conference champions only.”

(Does nobody get this?????)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I dislike ND as much as anyone, but you guys are dreaming. They are in the CFP any year in which they go undefeated because they schedule anyone. They would play OSU or Alabama if it worked out.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Date Opponent Location

This is ND's 2019 schedule. With the exception of Georgia, what will their record be 11-1?
Without major improvements I could see anywhere from 11-1 (Georgia) to 6-6, depending on how the ball bounces.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I dislike ND as much as anyone, but you guys are dreaming. They are in the CFP any year in which they go undefeated because they schedule anyone. They would play OSU or Alabama if it worked out.
B1GTide....At some point Notre Dame has to win a big game to be taking serious. They have been getting destroyed in BCS/New years six/playoff games for almost 20 years now. That includes your buckeyes who took them woodshed in the fiesta bowl in the 2015-16 season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide....At some point Notre Dame has to win a big game to be taking serious. They have been getting destroyed in BCS/New years six/playoff games for almost 20 years now. That includes your buckeyes who took them woodshed in the fiesta bowl in the 2015-16 season.
I know. Isn't it glorious?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Where ND would finish in a conference is irrelevant unless you are saying “conference champions only.”

(Does nobody get this?????)
Yeah, I get it, but winning your conference helps your argument. I don't think winning your conference should be required either, but not being in a conference and having to outlast the grind is an advantage to them.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Stanford, Michigan and Georgia on the road? If ND is undefeated next year they will definitely deserve to be top 4. They will not be undefeated.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Date Opponent Location

Who are the regulars on that schedule year in a year out?

I know USC, Boston College and Navy. This year they picked UM back up.

So on a regular basis that have to play 4 reoccuring games and how many of these guys are really a test year in and year out?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.