Will the CFP committee finally realize ND does not belong?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Will this latest beating prove to all once and for all ND is a paper team? They need to join a conference and play real teams, this shows once again hey are not a top 10 team much less top 4 team. At some point reality has to set in, Notre Dame is a joke and dos not belong in any playoff until they play a real schedule.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Will this latest beating prove to all once and for all ND is a paper team? They need to join a conference and play real teams, this shows once again hey are not a top 10 team much less top 4 team. At some point reality has to set in, Notre Dame is a joke and dos not belong in any playoff until they play a real schedule.
An undefeated ND won't make it next year. Or the next three years. Mark my words. Unless the next team up has 3 losses.

The committee says it doesn't take into aching the previous year but we all know that's a lie. Case in point, the reason Ohio State didn't make it last year and Bama did was due to the bad taste in their mouth from the previous Ohio State performance against Clemson.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
An undefeated ND won't make it next year. Meryl my words. Unless the next team up has 3 losses.

They rank with UCF to me, play real teams or shut up. You are not up to the challenge of big boy football. between this los and what we did to them in NC a few yars back, they have been exposed for what they are, mediocre.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They rank with UCF to me, play real teams or shut up. You are not up to the challenge of big boy football. between this los and what we did to them in NC a few yars back, they have been exposed for what they are, mediocre.
ND does play real teams.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
ND does play real teams.
They do schedule real teams every year. By name alone, ND has one of the hardest schedules out there. But then, in a season like this one, every one of those teams has what is essentially a down year and ND benefits from an undefeated record and name recognition for both them and their opponents.

Then they face a top 10 team and.......

See previous example; January 2013.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They do schedule real teams every year. By name alone, ND has one of the hardest schedules out there. But then, in a season like this one, every one of those teams has what is essentially a down year and ND benefits from an undefeated record and name recognition for both them and their opponents.

Then they face a top 10 team and.......

See previous example; January 2013.

Michigan was their best win.

I think ND and Oklahoma always gets undeserving title bouts when they are less than 2 losses. I can get behind ND’s schedule but Oklahoma’s Mickey Mouse schedule is worse imo.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
ND needs to take a look in the mirror after 2012 and this year. I don't think they will, but if they are honest with themselves they've got to accept that what they are doing isn't working for them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Uh, they played a tougher schedule than Clemson did.....does Clemson therefore not belong?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think avoiding the conference grind is part of it.

Having the added pressure to win a division and conference battle tests the best teams, even being in a weaker conference IMO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Every time I read the whole "Notre Dame should join a conference" argument......I wonder how many folks know the actual history behind that.

I'll give you a hint: Notre Dame WANTED to join a conference from day one.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
If Notre Dame is 12-0 next December, they will be in the CFP unless there are 4 other undefeated teams or some very special circumstance.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Michigan was their best win.

I think ND and Oklahoma always gets undeserving title bouts when they are less than 2 losses. I can get behind ND’s schedule but Oklahoma’s Mickey Mouse schedule is worse imo.
Agreed. OU has been competitive most of the time, but they are 0-6 in BCS/CFP playoff games since 2003. All 4 of the world beater Hypesman QB's have lost to SEC teams.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Every time I read the whole "Notre Dame should join a conference" argument......I wonder how many folks know the actual history behind that.

This is spot on with regard to the Big Ten, whose members refused to play a Catholic school in the early days, though I’m not convinced it’s relevant to their aversion to other conferences in football. ND has taken that discrimination and turned it into the defining experience of ND football nationhood, which is what Father Jenkins means when he talks about football independence being part of their identity as a school...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is spot on with regard to the Big Ten, whose members refused to play a Catholic school in the early days, though I’m not convinced it’s relevant to their aversion to other conferences in football. ND has taken that discrimination and turned it into the defining experience of ND football nationhood, which is what Father Jenkins means when he talks about football independence being part of their identity as a school...
I guess I'm showing my age, but that's exactly my point.

The then Western Conference "don't need Notre Dame."

Fifty years later, the foot was on the other hand.

And as much as I hate Notre Dame they TEND to schedule tough. What has decreased their schedule toughness is they basically agreed to "not join a conference but will play the ACC in five games." So they replaced Michigan St (usually good) with teams like Wake Forest.

And if they join the ACC and have to drop USC, fans who demand they join a conference will whine about that, too.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'll bite. So, how long ago was that? It would be hard to convince me that, during the past several conference expansions, not a single conference was willing to take the Irish. They are presently not in a conference for one simple reason: they don't want to be. Actually, they are currently in a conference: of one, and are essentially the 6th P5 conference. They don't have to share any of that NBC money, don't have a conference championship game, and schedule as they wish. While The Committee can't force them join a conference, they do have the ability to punish them for electing not to do so - whether or not they have the intestinal fortitude to do that is another issue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.