Question: Question: if you could add one rule to better CFB or create more competition...

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I think on kick offs adding a rule that gives a point if the kickoff goes through the uprights and then place the ball on the 20 vs the 25 for a missed attempt or touchback would be successful in two ways.

1. It is a REAL solution to the attempt of making kick offs safer for players

2. It makes those personal foul penalties after a TD actually mean something

Yeah the Rose Bowl is boring lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: Question: if you could add on rule to better College Football or create more comp

Adopt the pro rule for being ruled down

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Question: if you could add on rule to better College Football or create more comp

Adopt NFL rules for DPI, Targeting, and in better protecting the QB (no low tackles permitted)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

All officials must accompanied by their seeing eye guide dogs while on the field of play.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I like the NFL rule where you have to touch the player in order to be down. Also, the pass interference should be a spot foul imo instead of a 15 yarder.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

I like the NFL rule where you have to touch the player in order to be down. Also, the pass interference should be a spot foul imo instead of a 15 yarder.
Spot foul in the endzone too? That’s been one I’ve thought about a lot

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013

Adopt NFL rules for DPI, Targeting, and in better protecting the QB (no low tackles permitted)
Low hits on the QB in a passing posture if the defender is unabated are fouls in NCAA. I believe the rule was based on the NFL rule so likely very similar.
No chop blocks!
Chop blocks (high/low) are fouls in NCAA. Do you mean low blocks in general? I expect to see low blocks gradually eliminated or at least reduced to interior linemen immediately at the snap like HS. There are coaches on the rules committee fighting to keep low blocks legal.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I like the idea of defensive pass interference being a spot foul. What bothers me though is that refs seem to give offensive players too much leniency and defensive players not enough. It would also be one sided in that the offensive team would lose 15 yards for pass interference while the defensive team could give up much more.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Low hits on the QB in a passing posture if the defender is unabated are fouls in NCAA. I believe the rule was based on the NFL rule so likely very similar.
I have never seen it called - ever. Tua was hit low 20+ times this season when passing with his knee injury.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Are the "low areas" defined the same in NFL and college for hitting the QB? I think NCAA says knee area or below.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The NFL adds "even if the initial contact is above the knee", which allows far more protection, imo. Opponents have take shots directly at the area just above Tua's knee with zero calls this year, while the NFL calls anything in the thigh area down.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Spot foul in the endzone too? That’s been one I’ve thought about a lot

I think the NFL puts it on the 1 or 2 yard line when it occurs in the end zone.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013

Are the "low areas" defined the same in NFL and college for hitting the QB? I think NCAA says knee area or below.
Yes, the actual rule is "When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shal hit him forcibly at the knee area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below." It uses the words "knee area" so it's probably called fairly similarly to the NFL rule. It's not a common foul though. One of the main reasons I've seen it correctly not called is because the hit involved a block by an offensive player or the QB is moving at the time of the hit. It is a foul if all conditions are met even if the pass isn't thrown.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013

I think the NFL puts it on the 1 or 2 yard line when it occurs in the end zone.
Current NCAA rule puts DPI in the EZ at the B2 if the ball was snapped inside the B17. I believe NFL puts it at the B1.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

I would institute a penalty called holding, and not allow offensive linemen to simply tackle defensive linemen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Yes, the actual rule is "When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shal hit him forcibly at the knee area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below." It uses the words "knee area" so it's probably called fairly similarly to the NFL rule. It's not a common foul though. One of the main reasons I've seen it correctly not called is because the hit involved a block by an offensive player or the QB is moving at the time of the hit. It is a foul if all conditions are met even if the pass isn't thrown.
Oh that they had called this correctly in our games this year.

Iknow, I know. Refs are infallible and fans are biased.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.