Once Dan Mullen gets his QB, they'll rule that division.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The crazy thing for me is, the combination of Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee, and Smart at Georgia, has me actually pulling for Tennessee despite all the bad blood there.

But as for Mullen, I'm still in wait and see mode. I do think he is most likely capable and I'm certainly hopeful that anything at all makes life miserable for Smart in Athens.

But consider what Mullen was able to do this season. That was not a 10 win team, IMO. I think it was pretty impressive he got that much out of that team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The crazy thing for me is, the combination of Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee, and Smart at Georgia, has me actually pulling for Tennessee despite all the bad blood there.

But as for Mullen, I'm still in wait and see mode. I do think he is most likely capable and I'm certainly hopeful that anything at all makes life miserable for Smart in Athens.

But consider what Mullen was able to do this season. That was not a 10 win team, IMO. I think it was pretty impressive he got that much out of that team.
As long as Fulmer is associated with the TN program, I just cannot pull for them.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Kirby Smart and Mark Richt numbers after 1st 3 years at UGA:

CMR overall record: 32-8
CKS overall record: 32-10
CMR 2001: (8-4)CMR 2002: (13-1)CMR 2003: (11-3)
CKS 2016: (8-5)CKS 2017: (13-2)CKS 2018: (11-3)

CMR:2001-03: 2 SEC Champ. Appearances, 1 win, 1 Sugar Bowl win

CKS: 2016-18: 2 SEC Champ. Appearances,
1 win, 1 Sugar Bowl loss. 1 Rose Bowl win, 1 Natty Appearance

CMR could’ve made CFP in 2002. Ended season ranked 3rd I’m AP poll.

:rolleye2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The thread title says it all.

If Coach Mullen gets his quarterback.

Frustrating that Emory Jones only had 2 plays in the Peach Bowl. As much as Franks has progressed since Coach Mullen arrived, I've never felt he was the one we needed to get Florida back to championship contention. Jones has shown a lot of promise in the few appearances he's had.

Supposedly, we'll have open competition in the spring and fall for who starts. We have a new QB coming in who was specifically targeted and recruited by Coach Mullen. 4 star Dual-threat Jalon Jones. So I'm wondering how that works out in the mix. Probably redshirt his first season as he learns the system and we develop Emory.

No way am I underestimating Georgia - especially with Fromm coming back. He's a great QB and Georgia will be loaded with talent.

The East is going to be pretty interesting next season. We'll see what happens....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm with ya.

I like CJP more than I like UT, but I don't hate UT as much as many on our board.

I think the SEC will be better in teh east if UT gets decent. Of course, I just want them to push UGA and UF to the point that we get pushed in the west.

But I think CJP may one day have the coaching chops to coach at Bama a long time from now.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
The UGA program, to me, feels like it has staying power. I remember when we lost back-to-back games to Auburn and Oklahoma and everyone was ready to write us off as a has been. I'm not saying Georgia reached the pinnacle of where we were and have continued to stay, but what they have done over the last two years, with the exception of the game last night, is pretty good and the recruiting continues to be extremely high.

Florida will push Georgia under Mullen, but they won't own them, not like Spurrier and Meyer did. I do think the SEC East is a two team division for the foreseeable future.
I think the key point is how CKS handles the program in the midst of these losses. It was how CNS that handled these losses that made the difference with our program and in turn, we've seen several SEC programs lose head coaches because of the way they didn't ... ie Les Miles and Mark Richt. The formula is already known, but being able to execute it is a horse of a different color all together.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Thread title reminds me of a Charlton Heston line in the original Planet of the Apes. Upon seeing the hunter-gatherer humanoids foraging for food, he says, smugly: “If this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet.”

And with that line still ringing in the air, the apes announce their presence with authority...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think the key point is how CKS handles the program in the midst of these losses. It was how CNS that handled these losses that made the difference with our program and in turn, we've seen several SEC programs lose head coaches because of the way they didn't ... ie Les Miles and Mark Richt. The formula is already known, but being able to execute it is a horse of a different color all together.
Exactly.

While it is easy to give him a partial Mulligan, for the way his team performed, after having their guts ripped out (yet again!), in the SECCG, the fall-out from yesterday's dud hasn't even started yet.

He already has players looking to bolt. How many more are going to want to re-think being there? And what about recruits? If you are a stud recruit, still sitting on the fence, and you look at how poorly prepared UGA was (along with reports of players having poor attitudes), and compare that to how UF looked, in their bowl game.................well, we'll see how that also plays out.

Didn't see the game, but if the play calling was a bad as some here think, who takes the fall? We know it won't be CKS. He is their CNS. Except he is only a CNS imposter. CNS would own the mistake(s), and work with his staff to correct the issues. Does he have that in him, or will it lead to a festering situation, behind the scenes?

Everything he has said or done, since he weaseled his way out the door, leads me to believe his future is at turning point. No, they won't get rid of him, if he lays an egg, the next few years, if he doesn't learn and grow. He'll just be Richt 2.0.

Which is all that UGA deserves. And probably will ever get.

Over to you, 92................

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’ve been buying stock in Dan Mullen ever since he went back to Gainesville a year ago. I fully expect to retire a millionaire within 5 years. ;)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Mullen is one who likes to out think himself at times. He is very arrogant, and the MSU people I know wished he would have left sooner, even when they were winning with Dak. Between Kirby and Dan Dan, there is plenty of self-belief to go around in the East. They should both be able to recruit where they are now, and Kirby has clearly shown that he can, so there should be some good Gators and Bulldogs battles in the next few years.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Pruitt will have UTe on his heels withing two seasons, methinks. His rebuild is more of a project than Mullens' and Mullen has more head coaching experience, but i don't think we can bury the Viles yet.

Unfortunately.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Mullen is one who likes to out think himself at times. He is very arrogant, and the MSU people I know wished he would have left sooner, even when they were winning with Dak. Between Kirby and Dan Dan, there is plenty of self-belief to go around in the East. They should both be able to recruit where they are now, and Kirby has clearly shown that he can, so there should be some good Gators and Bulldogs battles in the next few years.
I think MSU is really going to live to eat those words. His run in Starkville will likely not be equaled for quite a while.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Not Georgia. What I am seeing from Georgia under Smart isn't that special. They could have accomplished what they been doing now under Mark Richt.
Georgia won 11 games in the regular season under Richt in 2012 and 2002, Kirby has done that back to back in his 2nd and 3rd season. Under Richt UGA never went undefeated in the east and Kirby has done that two years in a row now. To say that it could have been accomplished with Richt would be incorrect in my opinion has he never accomplished what Kirby has already done.

Dan Mullen had his QB and team at MS state when they lost 31-3 inside sanford stadium... Mullen has also never won more than 10 games in a regular season

Georgia has never been a elite program, and Kirby has done more in his 3 years there then any other coach in the last 30. Dan Mullen may make things more difficult, but I do not think he will "rule the east"

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Georgia won 11 games in the regular season in the under Richt in 2012 and 2002, Kirby has done that back to back in his 2nd and 3rd season. Under Richt UGA never went undefeated in the east and Kirby has done that two years in a row now. To say that it could have been accomplished with Richt would be incorrect in my opinion has he never accomplished what Kirby has already done.

Dan Mullen had his QB and team at MS state when they lost 31-3... Mullen has also never won more than 10 games in a regular season

Georgia has never been a elite program, and Kirby has done more in his 3 years there then any other coach in the last 30
With all fairness to Mullen, he coached at Starkville when Alabama, Auburn, and LSU were good to dominant programs most years. He got to 10 wins with a pretty lame offense this year. I think Georgia should be concerned because Florida has kinda been a thorn in their ass since Spurrier got there.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Georgia won 11 games in the regular season under Richt in 2012 and 2002, Kirby has done that back to back in his 2nd and 3rd season. Under Richt UGA never went undefeated in the east and Kirby has done that two years in a row now. To say that it could have been accomplished with Richt would be incorrect in my opinion has he never accomplished what Kirby has already done.

Dan Mullen had his QB and team at MS state when they lost 31-3 inside sanford stadium... Mullen has also never won more than 10 games in a regular season

Georgia has never been a elite program, and Kirby has done more in his 3 years there then any other coach in the last 30. Dan Mullen may make things more difficult, but I do not think he will "rule the east"
The SEC East was much more competitive in 2002 and 2012 than it has been the last two years under Smart.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
The SEC East was much more competitive in 2002 and 2012 than it has been the last two years under Smart.
2017 season you would be absolutely correct, 2018 season is debatable in my opinion. Credit to Alabama for winning 3 games against the east in the year 2018... but the West was only victorious against the east 5 times this season, again hats off to Alabama for being 3 of those wins

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
With all fairness to Mullen, he coached at Starkville when Alabama, Auburn, and LSU were good to dominant programs most years. He got to 10 wins with a pretty lame offense this year. I think Georgia should be concerned because Florida has kinda been a thorn in their ass since Spurrier got there.
Georgia should and always will be concerned about Florida. Mullen will make the road harder that is for sure, but I do not expect him to "rule"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.