Once Dan Mullen gets his QB, they'll rule that division.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Not Georgia. What I am seeing from Georgia under Smart isn't that special. They could have accomplished what they been doing now under Mark Richt.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Not ready to write UGA off yet but the next 2 seasons are going to pretty much tell the story.

It's a possibility this can go the way of miles at lsu. If he's not able to get it done within the next 2 seasons it's going to be harder for them to do so. Before this game I didn't think the fans would start getting restless but if UGA loses the east next season I believe they will.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I see Georgia losing 2-3 regular season games next season. One of them will be to Florida for sure.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Completely agree.

When Coach Mullen gets a Jalen Hurts,. The nation will have trouble.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not ready to write UGA off yet but the next 2 seasons are going to pretty much tell the story.

It's a possibility this can go the way of miles at lsu. If he's not able to get it done within the next 2 seasons it's going to be harder for them to do so. Before this game I didn't think the fans would start getting restless but if UGA loses the east next season I believe they will.
:iagree: Until Florida competes with Georgia again in recruiting it will be Georgia's to lose.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Not Georgia. What I am seeing from Georgia under Smart isn't that special. They could have accomplished what they been doing now under Mark Richt.
Georgia was more inconsistent under Coach Richt. They would do better than expected in down years and fall short in expected great years. Coach Smart has Georgia better and more consistent in my opinion.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
:iagree: Until Florida competes with Georgia again in recruiting it will be Georgia's to lose.
The UGA program, to me, feels like it has staying power. I remember when we lost back-to-back games to Auburn and Oklahoma and everyone was ready to write us off as a has been. I'm not saying Georgia reached the pinnacle of where we were and have continued to stay, but what they have done over the last two years, with the exception of the game last night, is pretty good and the recruiting continues to be extremely high.

Florida will push Georgia under Mullen, but they won't own them, not like Spurrier and Meyer did. I do think the SEC East is a two team division for the foreseeable future.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kirby brought the early CNS type offense and defense to Gawga and it's worked to make them better/tougher.

But I don't think that style of ball is good enough in 2018 and going forward.

Edit: Guess I should define "good enough" - "to be the best in the SEC year to year"

FWIW: I agree UF will at least pull even with Georgia and the their game each year will probably decide the east

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Just curious , what has Dan Mullen done in CFB that makes so many believe he will be elite? Kirby has done wonderful things at Georgia in only his third year as a head coach in a very difficult league. JMO, But Mullen is the one that has to prove himself as a top level coach. Also, don’t discount Pruitt. I like the recruiting class he put together and his no nonsense toughness . His style will either be huge with the kids and they will run through a brick wall for him or hurt feelings will make the program fold.
Don’t let dislike for Kirby bias judgement about his coaching and recruiting ability. He is a really good coach dealing with some adversity right now. How he handles that moving forward will determine his legacy at Georgia.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just curious , what has Dan Mullen done in CFB that makes so many believe he will be elite? Kirby has done wonderful things at Georgia in only his third year as a head coach in a very difficult league. JMO, But Mullen is the one that has to prove himself as a top level coach. Also, don’t discount Pruitt. I like the recruiting class he put together and his no nonsense toughness . His style will either be huge with the kids and they will run through a brick wall for him or hurt feelings will make the program fold.
Don’t let dislike for Kirby bias judgement about his coaching and recruiting ability. He is a really good coach dealing with some adversity right now. How he handles that moving forward will determine his legacy at Georgia.
I think it's the fact that he turned MSU into a tough out IN STARKVILLE MISS.

Only about an hour west of Tuscaloosa and that's pretty impressive. If he can do that in Starkville, he ought to do so much more in Gainsville.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
To be fair no one is really saying elite. Just that he will rule the East. Kirby has not proven he can get over the hump yet.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He was a primary factor in the two FL national championships, and he certainly got more out of MSU than anyone expected. I don't know where his ceiling is, but he is going to get a chance to reach it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The job he did at Mississippi State along with being a key part of Florida's success.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He was a primary factor in the two FL national championships, and he certainly got more out of MSU than anyone expected. I don't know where his ceiling is, but he is going to get a chance to reach it.
This^^^^, but I do not think UGA is going away. Whether you like Smart or not, he is an excellent recruiter in a talent rich hot bed. Except for CNS, he has at least 1 NC in his three years at UGA. I don't think there is any question that Dan Mullen would have won the "he gets the most from the least" SEC award over the past 8-10 years. I do think that UF is the only real challenge to UGA in the near term and neither team will likely dominate. There is also the possibility that UT under Pruitt may rise from the ashes and become a contender in the East.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This^^^^, but I do not think UGA is going away. Whether you like Smart or not, he is an excellent recruiter in a talent rich hot bed. Except for CNS, he has at least 1 NC in his three years at UGA. I don't think there is any question that Dan Mullen would have won the "he gets the most from the least" SEC award over the past 8-10 years. I do think that UF is the only real challenge to UGA in the near term and neither team will likely dominate. There is also the possibility that UT under Pruitt may rise from the ashes and become a contender in the East.
i think the uga fight song could be replaced with "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts" at this point.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.