2019 In Memoriam Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: 2019 In Memoriam Thread

Some may remember him

Birch Bayh, former Indiana Senator known as the ‘Father of Title IX,’ dies at age 91

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Birch Bayh, a farm boy from Terre Haute, Indiana, who would ascend to legislative titan during three terms in the United States Senate as the author of two constitutional amendments and a bill that gave women equal opportunity in colleges and universities, died early Thursday morning of pneumonia, according to a statement from the family. He was 91.
    Bayh, the father of two-term senator and Indiana governor Evan Bayh, was remembered by his son, colleagues and friends as a relentless champion of civil rights who left his imprint during the 1960s and 1970s on several pieces of landmark legislation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Thanks, Bamaro. Bayh was what a Republican is suppose to be, not like the aholes now representing the Republican party.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Thanks, Bamaro. Bayh was what a Republican is suppose to be, not like the aholes now representing the Republican party.
    Uh, Bayh was a Democrat.....but I actually do agree with that. He was more middle of the road than whatever passes for the AOC wing of the Ds.

ETA:

I don't disagree with your point about the Rs, either, but this is about the passing of a Senator and not "really" politics.

Thank you.
    Last edited by selmaborntidefan; March 17th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Sorry to hear about Dick Dale. RIP.

I can’t recall any famous left handed Strat players before him. He played very heavy gauge strings through clean amps with a lot of reverb. He never bent strings so he kind of painted himself into a small corner with that clean tone.
    I prefer the Ventures or Jan and Dean for surf guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Uh, Bayh was a Democrat.....but I actually do agree with that. He was more middle of the road than whatever passes for the AOC wing of the Ds.

ETA:

I don't disagree with your point about the Rs, either, but this is about the passing of a Senator and not "really" politics.

Thank you.
    I agree, Bill temporarily lost "control" of my faculties.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...s13vymg94s3ij4

Don't know how many old timers remember Joe Bellino the Heisman winner from the Naval Academy, but he was one of my heroes when i was a kid. He was great player back in the day when the service academies were very competitive. Pete Dawkins who played at West Point won the Heisman a couple of years before Bellino and Roger Staubach won it a few years later. Great players, great memories.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Former South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings dead at 97.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/06/71057...gs-97-has-died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A legend passes: Dick Cole, last of the Doolittle Raiders, dies at 103

Retired Lt. Col. Dick Cole, the last surviving member of the Doolittle Raiders who rallied the nation’s spirit during the darkest days of World War II, has passed away.

Tom Casey, president of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Association, confirmed to Air Force Times that Cole died Tuesday morning in San Antonio. His daughter, Cindy Cole Chal, and son, Richard Cole, were by his side, Casey said.

Cole will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Casey said. Memorial services are also being scheduled at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph in Texas.

Cole, who was then-Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot in the No. 1 bomber during the daring 1942 raid to strike Japan, was 103.

Godspeed, sir.

Airmen with Crew No. 1 (Plane 40-2344), 34th Bombardment Squadron, U.S. Army Air Forces, were among those who conducted the Doolittle Raid over Tokyo on April 18, 1942. They are, from left: Lt. Henry A. Potter, navigator; Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, pilot; Staff Sgt. Fred A. Braemer, bombardier; Lt. Richard E. Cole, co-pilot; and Staff Sgt. Paul J. Leonard, engineer-gunner. (Air Force)
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Earl Thomas Conley, 1980s Country Star, Passes Away At 77

In the 1980s, Earl Thomas Conley was known as one of country music’s most reliable hitmakers, with an almost unbroken string of 18 singles that reached No. 1 in the format between 1981 and ’89.

And in the 21st century, he was known for something else: being an all-time hero for Blake Shelton, frequently name-checked by the contemporary superstar at a time when most others in and out of country music had long forgotten him.

Conley died Wednesday at age 77. The news was announced by — naturally — Shelton, on Twitter. “My heart is absolutely destroyed today,” the singer and “Voice” star tweeted. “I’m sad to report that Earl Thomas Conley passed away very early this morning. Earl was my all time favorite singer, hero and my friend. Prayers to his family. We will all miss you deeply my brother. Now go rest…”
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/o...er=rss&emc=rss

Forrest Gregg has passed on.

Depending on your age, you might recall him as a member of Lombardi's Packers.

I recall him as the head coach that took the 1981 Bengals to the Super Bowl.

He later coached the Packers and was the first guy to try and resurrect Southern Methodist after the death penalty.

Thanks, Bill another of my long ago heros gone, but not forgotten. He was a helluva of a player on one of the best NFL teams of all time.