2019 In Memoriam Thread

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The first movie I ever saw via VCR. My favorite movie of all time. Watch it several times per year and recently read the book and a book that was about what happened afterward in the hunt for the nazis who killed the escapees. Awesome and humbling.

Last real life Great Escape prisoner dies aged 99

99 years is a darn good run....Godspeed Flight Lt. Churchill......

===========

The Great Escape

• Stalag Luft III opened in spring 1942, and held air forces personnel only
  • At maximum it held 10,000 prisoners of war, covered 59 acres, with five miles (8km) of perimeter fencing
  • Some 600 prisoners helped dig three tunnels, which were referred to as Tom, Dick and Harry
  • The "Great Escape" happened on the night of 24 to 25 March, 1944
  • Seventy-six men attempted a getaway through tunnel Harry, which was 102m (336ft) long and 8.5m deep
  • Seventy-three of them - including Mr Churchill - were recaptured by the Germans within three days. Two-thirds of them were executed on Hitler's orders
  • The camp was liberated by Soviet forces in January 1945

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Some may remember him

Birch Bayh, former Indiana Senator known as the ‘Father of Title IX,’ dies at age 91

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Birch Bayh, a farm boy from Terre Haute, Indiana, who would ascend to legislative titan during three terms in the United States Senate as the author of two constitutional amendments and a bill that gave women equal opportunity in colleges and universities, died early Thursday morning of pneumonia, according to a statement from the family. He was 91.
Bayh, the father of two-term senator and Indiana governor Evan Bayh, was remembered by his son, colleagues and friends as a relentless champion of civil rights who left his imprint during the 1960s and 1970s on several pieces of landmark legislation.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thanks, Bamaro. Bayh was what a Republican is suppose to be, not like the aholes now representing the Republican party.
Uh, Bayh was a Democrat.....but I actually do agree with that. He was more middle of the road than whatever passes for the AOC wing of the Ds.

ETA:

I don't disagree with your point about the Rs, either, but this is about the passing of a Senator and not "really" politics.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Sorry to hear about Dick Dale. RIP.

I can’t recall any famous left handed Strat players before him. He played very heavy gauge strings through clean amps with a lot of reverb. He never bent strings so he kind of painted himself into a small corner with that clean tone.
I prefer the Ventures or Jan and Dean for surf guitar.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Uh, Bayh was a Democrat.....but I actually do agree with that. He was more middle of the road than whatever passes for the AOC wing of the Ds.

ETA:

I don't disagree with your point about the Rs, either, but this is about the passing of a Senator and not "really" politics.

Thank you.
I agree, Bill temporarily lost "control" of my faculties.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...-winner-dies-at-81/1y146gvpw3qvs13vymg94s3ij4

Don't know how many old timers remember Joe Bellino the Heisman winner from the Naval Academy, but he was one of my heroes when i was a kid. He was great player back in the day when the service academies were very competitive. Pete Dawkins who played at West Point won the Heisman a couple of years before Bellino and Roger Staubach won it a few years later. Great players, great memories.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

A legend passes: Dick Cole, last of the Doolittle Raiders, dies at 103

Retired Lt. Col. Dick Cole, the last surviving member of the Doolittle Raiders who rallied the nation’s spirit during the darkest days of World War II, has passed away.

Tom Casey, president of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Association, confirmed to Air Force Times that Cole died Tuesday morning in San Antonio. His daughter, Cindy Cole Chal, and son, Richard Cole, were by his side, Casey said.

Cole will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Casey said. Memorial services are also being scheduled at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph in Texas.

Cole, who was then-Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot in the No. 1 bomber during the daring 1942 raid to strike Japan, was 103.

Godspeed, sir.

Airmen with Crew No. 1 (Plane 40-2344), 34th Bombardment Squadron, U.S. Army Air Forces, were among those who conducted the Doolittle Raid over Tokyo on April 18, 1942. They are, from left: Lt. Henry A. Potter, navigator; Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, pilot; Staff Sgt. Fred A. Braemer, bombardier; Lt. Richard E. Cole, co-pilot; and Staff Sgt. Paul J. Leonard, engineer-gunner. (Air Force)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Earl Thomas Conley, 1980s Country Star, Passes Away At 77

In the 1980s, Earl Thomas Conley was known as one of country music’s most reliable hitmakers, with an almost unbroken string of 18 singles that reached No. 1 in the format between 1981 and ’89.

And in the 21st century, he was known for something else: being an all-time hero for Blake Shelton, frequently name-checked by the contemporary superstar at a time when most others in and out of country music had long forgotten him.

Conley died Wednesday at age 77. The news was announced by — naturally — Shelton, on Twitter. “My heart is absolutely destroyed today,” the singer and “Voice” star tweeted. “I’m sad to report that Earl Thomas Conley passed away very early this morning. Earl was my all time favorite singer, hero and my friend. Prayers to his family. We will all miss you deeply my brother. Now go rest…”

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
There’s a story in The Junction Boys about Dennis Goehring asking for more playing time so Coach Bryant started him at defensive tackle opposite Forrest Gregg, who was an All American for SMU. On the first play Goehring jumped offsides and hit Gregg in the face with a forearm. Bryant took him out of the game and asked Goehring why he did it. “I needed to get the big man’s attention.” Bryant put him back in the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.