Making the Excuse "XYZ Team Didn't Want to Be There."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To further look at the issue of motivation, look at where the games being discussed are played. New Orleans provides plenty of distractions. I know that was one issue the 2008 and 2013 teams had. If a person is not motivated to do something, he or she is more susceptible to the distractions of a place like NOLA, no?

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL
So, it is your contention that it all comes down to character, and that the players on teams that simply cannot find the motivation to play well under these circumstances lack said character? We will have to agree to disagree, because I think this is too simplistic and judgemental a point of view.
I tend to agree with the simplistic and judgmental nature of the hypothesis, especially when considering there is no way to accumulate data to support such a hypothesis. That said, I strongly believe (with no supporting data) that the squads under Saban - in addition to pure physical talent - possess personality traits that would lessen the likelihood of poor performance attributed to lack of motivation. Perhaps "character" was the wrong choice of words; "personality trait" seems to better fit.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I tend to agree with the simplistic and judgmental nature of the hypothesis, especially when considering there is no way to accumulate data to support such a hypothesis. That said, I strongly believe (with no supporting data) that the squads under Saban - in addition to pure physical talent - possess personality traits that would lessen the likelihood of poor performance attributed to lack of motivation. Perhaps "character" was the wrong choice of words; "personality trait" seems to better fit.
Or you could simply say something about human nature.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To further look at the issue of motivation, look at where the games being discussed are played. New Orleans provides plenty of distractions. I know that was one issue the 2008 and 2013 teams had. If a person is not motivated to do something, he or she is more susceptible to the distractions of a place like NOLA, no?
Makes sense. It would tie directly into the human nature portion of the discussion.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Alabama 2009 and 2014 sugar bowls were completely different. In 2009 sugar bowl Nick was still trying to change the couture. Trying to root out the malaise from the previous administration . Reaching #1 , then losing in the SECCG Hurt the fragile team psyche, and some reverted back to old , lazier ways . Especially the ones not coming back.
In 2014 Sugar bowl , to lose a chance to threepeat in dramatic fashion hurt, but that team competed. 2014 SB team out rushed, out passed, out gained OU. 5 turnovers doomed that team in that game , as it would most teams.
Everyone try’s to find parallels between these two games , but they are totally different. I would say Georgia’s loss was more like 2009 SB given Richts laid back ways. But Georgia Wasn’t in the funk that the Bama program was in. The Bama program was emerging from tough times, at least Richt had top notch talent and recent winning success.

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
With the increase in number of bowl games where it's clear a team doesn't show up to play and guys sitting them out, IMO the bowl situation is on the precipice of needing a major change. Or... to put it more clearly "what can be done to spice up the bowl games that will cause both teams and higher profile players to want to play"?

To me, the answer is in the $$$. I'm sure everyone knows that when you make a bowl, every team member receives a package of gifts from the bowl itself. Thus, the players are already being compensated to some degree for being in the bowl. However, that compensation comes whether you win or lose - even if you go out and lay down you still receive your gift package. How about bowls paying the players/coaches of the teams - with the winners receiving enough $$$ to guarantee they'll be motivated? CFB has talked for years about paying players - and IMO this would be a great way to increase the interest/focus of participating teams while giving players the opportunity to earn some $$$. They win and we win...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.