Link: Urban Meyer's Wife Is Very Clear On His Coaching Future

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
He needs a place that doesn’t take fball as seriously. I used to think his health issues were smoke but I do think he’s got real issues now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may not matter where he coaches. If you're a perfectionist most of the pressure comes from within.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No chance. If he goes back it’ll be at USCw. I think he’s definitely headed to ESPN which he’s actually pretty good at. He might go back like Mack Brown did but he’s not nearly as old. He needs a place that doesn’t take fball as seriously. I used to think his health issues were smoke but I do think he’s got real issues now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know if he would return to ESPN. That network raked him over the coals pretty bad this year, I think the more natural fit would be Fox, B1G and all! But who knows, ESPN may give him the soft sell about it just being business, nothing personal.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Urban Meyer, who will be succeeded by Buckeyes offensive coordinator Ryan Day, will become an assistant athletic director at Ohio State and will co-teach a course titled Leadership and Character in Ohio State's Fisher College of Business this spring.

Shelley Meyer said that she thinks Urban's new role as an assistant AD will be a good fit because it will keep him busy and around the program's players.
Is anybody aware of a situation where a very successful coach steps down, but remains at the school as as an AD or advisor to their replacement, and things worked out well?

Florida tried bringing in Spurrier as an advisor. Pat Dye may still be pulling strings in the AU program...don't forget Fulmer...

My point is when ego drives someone to become an unbelievably successful coach, it is very hard for that person to watch a less talented coach try to replace them without meddling. And I think it is a safe bet that Urban's replacement won't match Urban's win-loss record. (We will deal with the same dilemma down the road.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is anybody aware of a situation where a very successful coach steps down, but remains at the school as as an AD or advisor to their replacement, and things worked out well?
Well, it is the job of the AD to "meddle" some, but I generally agree. Alvarez at Wisconsin has been marginally successful. They are about as good without him as with him.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I know things can change, but UM sounded like a man who was done in the post-game interview yesterday.
More than how he sounded was how he looked.

He looked like a man that had just been released from prison.

I’ll be really surprised if he ever accepts another coaching gig. I could definitely see him consulting, and as a TV analyst, and maybe as a gladhander for tOSU’s athletic department (though that last one might not be the greatest fit for his personality).

But I don’t see him coaching again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.