January 2, 1987 - The Day We Realized How Awesome A Title Game Could Be

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fiesta87

For the time it was a rarity. #1 met #2 in a winner-take-all game for the national championship. We had endured competing claims for the national title each of the four previous seasons.

The game was originally scheduled for New Year's Day - but was such a big deal that NBC put it on in Friday night prime time (again - this wasn't done back then on network TV).

While we have since found out some real dirt about the champions that year, it was nice at the time to have an undisputed champion.

And no, the better team probably didn't win. It happens.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There are a few factual errors in this article:

1) This was Jan. 2, 1987, and for the first time, the college football season had been extended beyond New Year's Day.

I'll set aside the years the bowl games were on January 2 because of NFL playoff games on Jan 1.
The fact is that the 1981 Peach Bowl was played on January 2 after the big bowl games were on January 1.

2) You know how everybody puts up four fingers when the fourth quarter comes around? That was us.

It's amusing how many times I've heard Miami folks say that. I have Alabama games on tape of the Tide doing that before most of those players were even born.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
...2) You know how everybody puts up four fingers when the fourth quarter comes around? That was us.

It's amusing how many times I've heard Miami folks say that. I have Alabama games on tape of the Tide doing that before most of those players were even born.
Thank you. Nobody believes me when I tell them and I have no proof except my memory of it starting. It was several years before it was copied by others.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thank you. Nobody believes me when I tell them and I have no proof except my memory of it starting. It was several years before it was copied by others.
I don't know whether we "began" it or not - but I've heard Miami players try to claim that nonsense, and I had seen us do it long before I even knew who Miami was.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
There are a few factual errors in this article: 1) This was Jan. 2, 1987, and for the first time, the college football season had been extended beyond New Year's Day.
I'll set aside the years the bowl games were on January 2 because of NFL playoff games on Jan 1.
The fact is that the 1981 Peach Bowl was played on January 2 after the big bowl games were on January 1.
2) You know how everybody puts up four fingers when the fourth quarter comes around? That was us.
They're also a little fuzzy on the cutting of jerseys.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, it's amazing how those self-important punks thought "we invented this and we invented that." The only thing they might have invented was the utter disrespect. (Their captains turned their backs on us rather than shake hands at the 93 Sugar Bowl).

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Yeah, it's amazing how those self-important punks thought "we invented this and we invented that." The only thing they might have invented was the utter disrespect. (Their captains turned their backs on us rather than shake hands at the 93 Sugar Bowl).
And during the game, they got what they deserved!

When you think of CLASS, you think of Bama players. When you think of a LACK of class, you think of Miami.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There are a few factual errors in this article:

1) This was Jan. 2, 1987, and for the first time, the college football season had been extended beyond New Year's Day.

like the turnover chain. I still hear analyst say Miami was first and everybody copied it and got their own.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
My freshman year at Alabama was 1972. They were doing it in games then and I'll bet it had been going on for some time. Coach Bryant and Coach Saban both believe in players being in better condition than their opponent. I don't know if Coach Bryant actually had something called the 4th quarter program like Coach Saban does but Alabama players back then experienced it.

I won't mention his name but my freshman next door dorm roommate walked-on and eventually became a starter with a scholarship. He tried to talk me into joining him in walking on but I told him no way.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’ll never forget the name of the Penn State player that intercepted Testaverde on the last play to end that game—Pete Giftoupolos. For some reason it was just burned into my memory that night.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
And during the game, they got what they deserved!

When you think of CLASS, you think of Bama players. When you think of a LACK of class, you think of Miami.
The only thing that tempers my hatred for them somewhat was their beat down of Notre Dame around that time — might have been that same year or the next.

Update: It was 1987. I noticed while looking this up that Miami beat UF 31-4 that year. What an odd score.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My freshman year at Alabama was 1972. They were doing it in games then and I'll bet it had been going on for some time. Coach Bryant and Coach Saban both believe in players being in better condition than their opponent. I don't know if Coach Bryant actually had something called the 4th quarter program like Coach Saban does but Alabama players back then experienced it.

I won't mention his name but my freshman next door dorm roommate walked-on and eventually became a starter with a scholarship. He tried to talk me into joining him in walking on but I told him no way.
Oh he definitely had a program. Probably going all the way back to the beginning of his head coaching days. I would say at least as far back as Kentucky, from the books I've read. In fact, everyone talks about Junction his first season at Texas A&M, but I've seen it written that his conditioning practices were even tougher at Alabama than they were at Junction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.