Maryland is now my second-favorite team, Locksley shows class

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
They did beat a team "that's back" - Texas! Does that mean the Terps are back?

Unfortunately, if it isn't basketball or lacrosse, Maryland will not compete in the yankee combine. Should have stayed in the ACC.
Hey now, isn't UMD pretty good at soccer lol. I have a few High School friends who went there years ago and felt like they were pretty good at the time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
What does that amount to? 4-6 players/year? That is his whole roster. The rest will be all unrated players or 3 stars. He can't compete in the B1G with that kind of talent.
Agree. Maryland in the B1G would be on par with Kentucky in the SEC. A team that could have an occasional breakout year with say 9-10 wins, but year in and year out will struggle to win 7 games. It is simply not a destination program. I do however hope Coach Locksley can surpass this.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
What does that amount to? 4-6 players/year? That is his whole roster. The rest will be all unrated players or 3 stars. He can't compete in the B1G with that kind of talent.
Locks' recruiting prowess might surprise some folks - including those here who may have forgotten how he almost snared the younger Kouandjio for...New Mexico. Also, if he ropes in solid staff for the defensive side of the football, and puts to work what he's gleaned from The Process, he also may surprise by exceeding seven wins on a regular basis. The Terriblins are just about due a revival and getting to 8-9-10 wins would mean they only have to beat 1.5 of the B1G East's "big four" every year to accomplish it. Don't color me dubious, not with Locks' having the Saban template to work with and his ability to recruit not just DMV but over into PA and Ohio, too.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Here's there current roster:
https://umterps.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Most are from the Maryland/DC area but they have a decent number of players from FL, GA and Alabama. If he can do a better job of landing better talent from these area and coaching them up, no reason to think they wouldn't be a possibility of a 4th ranked program in their league.

They would have to beat everyone they played in the West and beat at least one of the top 3 in the East. It won't happen overnight but it's not impossible. The immediate goal is to build a program to beat the top tier teams in UM, OSU and Penn State. MSU and Iowa threatens to beat these teams every year with a roster of mainly 3 stars. No reason to see why Maryland can't be a program to challenge for the same. The B1G is a weird-enough conference where that is always possible. Not saying it will happen ... just saying it's possible for the program to improve under CML and the B1G is a prime conference for it to happen.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Really like Locks, but 7 wins/year is about all that you can expect at Maryland. They will likely never make the B1GCG, much less win the conference.
They will have to go though Purdue which seems like a long shot. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Respect for Coach Locksley. Wish him well at Maryland and hope he goes out a National Champion from Bama Monday evening. RTR

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
State of Maryland has 8 kids ranked in top 350 -- 3 are coming to Bama......

Take those 8 each year -- grab the top kids in Philly and Delaware.....grab a few from Virginia and West Virginia..... and you build something.

Nothing to say he can't create something that could rival Syracuse, West Virginia or even Notre Dame.....

Build it, and they will come!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Agree to disagree.

I think as they stand, they are a 7 win team. Here's last years record and the coming schedule.

I marked expected wins in blue, maybe in yellow, and not gonna happen in red. MSU, I can't tell from year to year so........

3-5 guys in skill position, per year? Yup, that team could easily be a 8-10 team

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you think that they win the B1G then I have a bridge to sell you.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yeah, they will improve. But their ability to recruit will limit them.
Their 7 win team almost made Urban retire a few games early......keep that in mind..... I don't think Locks would be too far removed from winning a B1G Championship.

tOSU 52
Maryland 51

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.