News Article: Tua-Jalen Package on the Field

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You have to account for him but you can really cheat toward run or pass support.

Keep Tua at QB where we all agree he's the best player in college football and run the trick stuff through him if we feel compelled to do so. JMO.
IIRC, that's exactly what they did. They didn't give him close coverage at all...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's not that simple - they are providing loose coverage on Tua, meaning that the person covering Tua is available for every type of defensive support on that side of the field. Alabama has not thrown to Tua once in this situation, and I doubt that you do in this game. So, maybe not 10 on 11, but at least 10.5 on 11 advantage for the defense. Heck, you don't even run to Tua's side of the field when you have him split out.

IMO, when Tua is on the field as a receiver, you give the defense an advantage as you cut the field that they have to defend in half. Now, if Saban changes that in this game then you will surprise Clemson, but you also ask Tua to block. I just don't see that happening.
Last thing we need is Tua blocking and somebody running into him from behind.

He's the best playing in college football with the ball in his hands. Why should we ever run a play where the ball doesn't start with touching his hands?

I know we've been successful with the wildcat, but I don't really even like that. When Tua has the ball you have to cover every square inch of the field.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can anyone remember where the ball has been spotted when Tua is lined up at WR? If it's near the boundary where he's standing, there's room for a blocker to get over to the DB "covering" him to run something similar to what we ran in 2009.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's not that simple - they are providing loose coverage on Tua, meaning that the person covering Tua is available for every type of defensive support on that side of the field. Alabama has not thrown to Tua once in this situation, and I doubt that you do in this game. So, maybe not 10 on 11, but at least 10.5 on 11 advantage for the defense. Heck, you don't even run to Tua's side of the field when you have him split out.

IMO, when Tua is on the field as a receiver, you give the defense an advantage as you cut the field that they have to defend in half. Now, if Saban changes that in this game then you will surprise Clemson, but you also ask Tua to block. I just don't see that happening.
I trust Coach -- and believe there is a reason. He's not one to give his team a disadvantage unnecessarily....

We used to put G-Mac wide and put Mark in the Wildcat.....and it worked over and over again....

I don't see the harm.....if anything, it neutralizes the DL for a play....and if you get Tua with a 15 yard cushion, a double-pass would be a HUGE option...

We shall see!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I do have a question that I don't know the answer to - and this thread is as good as any to ask......

Could Savion play on Offense as long as Jeudy is NOT in the game? (so there aren't 2 - #4's in the game at the same time).....

Not saying I want him to -- just chose a number that works for the question asked.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I do have a question that I don't know the answer to - and this thread is as good as any to ask......

Could Savion play on Offense as long as Jeudy is NOT in the game? (so there aren't 2 - #4's in the game at the same time).....

Not saying I want him to -- just chose a number that works for the question asked.
As long as Jeudy isn't on the field, that's not a problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can anyone remember where the ball has been spotted when Tua is lined up at WR? If it's near the boundary where he's standing, there's room for a blocker to get over to the DB "covering" him to run something similar to what we ran in 2009.
He has been lined up on the short side of the field, like this. I could see this happening.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Cool play. I remember it. Only difference today is our regular offense is light years ahead of that offense.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I don't like the idea of it at all. Especially against Oklahoma. We by far superior to them when we were on offense and doing cute stuff like that was unnecessary. Just ram it down their throats and don't put your star QB who has had injury issues the last three months out at receiver to block. If you want Jalen to be in as QB, fine. Let Tua have a sip of Gatorade for a few plays. Leave plays like that to Auburn.
It's a given that Tua and Jalen are not as good at Receiving as our Receivers.
Either can block, but are they as good as our Running Backs at blocking? I don't think so...
Lets stick to the things we do best. That's what got us here...

Last edited:

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The way I see it, is there is no expectation of a big play, only something that throws the defense off for a couple of plays, then go back to what our playbook usually is, forcing different looks from the opponent. Keeps them always having to think, rather than the opponents defense dictating the game.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I think the main reason Saban does this is that the opponent has to spent time preparing for it. You run 3-4 plays a game and they have to spend a couple of hours a week preparing for all of the possibilities. As far as 11 on 10, they have to put a DB on Tua even if he does nothing.
This. Its a distraction for Clemson all week even if we don't use it in the game. But I would run a couple of plays with both on the field to see how Clemson responds. They may alter their schemes in a way that gives us some opportunities. Its just a matter of taking what the defense gives you. If it creates a matchup problem for Clemson, come back to it. If not, move on. It is worth a couple of plays to see if there is something there to exploit.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think the main reason Saban does this is that the opponent has to spent time preparing for it. You run 3-4 plays a game and they have to spend a couple of hours a week preparing for all of the possibilities. As far as 11 on 10, they have to put a DB on Tua even if he does nothing.
Agreed. if they don't, Tua becomes O. J. Howard.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I reckon this is in the back pocket.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Every time you have both on the field, you have a better position player on the sidelines. The only time I like it is if we are looking at a double pass scenario or a jet sweep/pass scenario, because that is the only time it would actually offer a talent advantage against a team like Clemson.

If Alabama puts Jalen on the field, let him run the same plays that Tua would run.
I think Hurts was "thrown" the ball for the jet sweep vs OU. If this was the case, one time maybe it will be a hand-off so that Hurts can throw it. If the coaches can run some plays to see the defensive reaction and then set this up it may work. I'm not a big fan of the idea, that is, until they run it and it works.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.