News Article: Tua-Jalen Package on the Field

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...alen-hurts-package-alabama-gets-creative.html

The Tua Tagovailoa-Jalen Hurts package has sparked curiosity even though the Crimson Tide has only sparingly deployed both players on the field at the same time.
In part, that’s because Alabama has been rather creative — even borderline cheeky — when both quarterbacks have played simultaneously.
“We have had different things that utilize me in different ways throughout the whole year,” said Hurts, Alabama’s acclaimed backup. “Some things weren’t used early on. Some things were thrown out.”

I would love to see a play where Jalen is the WR motioning as Tua Snap the ball and hands it to Jalen and he looks to run and then stop and throw the deep pass to Smith or Jeudy for a Touchdown.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I keep waiting for a Josh Jacobs pass. I feel like some sort of funky double pass play could be coming. Hope it works if we do use anything crazy

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't like the idea of it at all. Especially against Oklahoma. We by far superior to them when we were on offense and doing cute stuff like that was unnecessary. Just ram it down their throats and don't put your star QB who has had injury issues the last three months out at receiver to block. If you want Jalen to be in as QB, fine. Let Tua have a sip of Gatorade for a few plays. Leave plays like that to Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Every time you have both on the field, you have a better position player on the sidelines. The only time I like it is if we are looking at a double pass scenario or a jet sweep/pass scenario, because that is the only time it would actually offer a talent advantage against a team like Clemson.

If Alabama puts Jalen on the field, let him run the same plays that Tua would run.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was thinking about this the other day. I have seen other post saying we should look out for a bunch of trick plays by Dabo and clempson. Actually Dabo and clempson should look out for one from Bama. In the 3 previous meetings it was Saban and Bama that used a trick play.

Part I – onside kick
Part II – pass to O.J. from Stewart
Part III – Pass from Jalen to a Dlineman from the “jumbo package”

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm OK with Jalen getting some snaps, but it makes no sense to split Tua out as receiver. We are playing 10 on 11 when we do that.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
If its not necessary, don't do it. Like the onside kick, if Coach sees the coverage he wants for the play and thinks we need it, go for it.

"In Saban we trust"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day. I have seen other post saying we should look out for a bunch of trick plays by Dabo and clempson. Actually Dabo and clempson should look out for one from Bama. In the 3 previous meetings it was Saban and Bama that used a trick play.

Part I – onside kick
Part II – pass to O.J. from Stewart
Part III – Pass from Jalen to a Dlineman from the “jumbo package”
Yea I've been thinking this. I would almost be surprised if we didn't have a trick play that we were saving for this game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
FWIW, I like Jalen in the slot. He has proven he can catch, run and if we bring him in motion he could run or throw.

But when all is said and done, is Jalen better in the slot than Waddle???

If Jalen is in the game they will be suspicious unless he proves to be a weapon in the slot running regular plays. I just don't think we've established that he is at this point.

Maybe next year?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Think of the alignments, formations, and personnel used when both are on the field. Locks and Enos have used this in a way far different from the wildcat package Saban teams have used. There's been motion. There's been Jalen and Tua together in the backfield. There's been Jalen at QB. There's been Tua at QB.

They have used enough variations for a "trick" play to come out of it Monday night.

Then again, they've also used enough variations for Dabo and Venables to spend too much game planning for a trick play. :wink:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
How many times the package by Tua and Jalen has resulted in a negative yard/negative outcomes this season? It forces the team to account for Jalen/Tua and they still don't know what will happen on that play. This is something that doesn't happen a lot throughout the game. They usually show this for a series or two and then move on. So, I have no issue with what and how they use the package for Jalen/Tua.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think the main reason Saban does this is that the opponent has to spent time preparing for it. You run 3-4 plays a game and they have to spend a couple of hours a week preparing for all of the possibilities. As far as 11 on 10, they have to put a DB on Tua even if he does nothing.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I don't like the idea of it at all. Especially against Oklahoma. We by far superior to them when we were on offense and doing cute stuff like that was unnecessary. Just ram it down their throats and don't put your star QB who has had injury issues the last three months out at receiver to block. If you want Jalen to be in as QB, fine. Let Tua have a sip of Gatorade for a few plays. Leave plays like that to Auburn.
I don’t like it. Stick to the base and move the ball. No gimmicks.
I mostly agree but sometimes the cute stuff is done just because the players really want to do it and it can be fun for them. It's not like we run trick plays constantly so I don't mind them "getting cute" every once in a while if it helps keeps the players happy and focused.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm OK with Jalen getting some snaps, but it makes no sense to split Tua out as receiver. We are playing 10 on 11 when we do that.
I agree with this. The thought which ran through my mind when Tua split out was "No one is believing that, with his ankle." And I had your same 10 on 11 thought. The others have some logic, but not that. I also agree with B1G. When Jalen came on, I automatically looked to see whom it put on the sideline...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the main reason Saban does this is that the opponent has to spent time preparing for it. You run 3-4 plays a game and they have to spend a couple of hours a week preparing for all of the possibilities. As far as 11 on 10, they have to put a DB on Tua even if he does nothing.
I haven't looked back at it, but that was not my impression, unless they're allowing a 15 yard cushion...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
THIS! Every time a different formation or play is ran with these two on the field it’s something else to have to figure out and prep for. And also prep for variations. The players have said that other teams have been completely confused when they line up as to what they are supposed to do.
I have long been a proponent of throwing in an option play a couple of times per game, especially when Jalen was the starter. That one play has the threat of getting a huge chunk of yardage or a score and teams have to spend time prepping for it. It takes away from prepping for the “normal” stuff.Anything you can do that wastes prep time for the opponent is ok by me. It’s Chess Not Checkers.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not if they cover him --- then it's 10 on 10.....

And if they cover him with a corner --- then it's actually an advantage for us by taking a corner and placing him on a decoy

If they cover him with a safety or linebacker -- that would loosen up the middle to run.

Not saying they should run it a lot -- but for a few plays, it sure does make the defense a little 'unsure' of what to do

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As far as 11 on 10, they have to put a DB on Tua even if he does nothing.
You have to account for him but you can really cheat toward run or pass support.

Keep Tua at QB where we all agree he's the best player in college football and run the trick stuff through him if we feel compelled to do so. JMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not if they cover him --- then it's 10 on 10.....

And if they cover him with a corner --- then it's actually an advantage for us by taking a corner and placing him on a decoy

If they cover him with a safety or linebacker -- that would loosen up the middle to run.

Not saying they should run it a lot -- but for a few plays, it sure does make the defense a little 'unsure' of what to do
It's not that simple - they are providing loose coverage on Tua, meaning that the person covering Tua is available for every type of defensive support on that side of the field. Alabama has not thrown to Tua once in this situation, and I doubt that you do in this game. So, maybe not 10 on 11, but at least 10.5 on 11 advantage for the defense. Heck, you don't even run to Tua's side of the field when you have him split out.

IMO, when Tua is on the field as a receiver, you give the defense an advantage as you cut the field that they have to defend in half. Now, if Saban changes that in this game then you will surprise Clemson, but you also ask Tua to block. I just don't see that happening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.