Question: Who actually made the decision for San Jose and Levis Stadium?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The sites are based on a bidding process, presumably not unlike for the Super Bowl. I think the selection is made by the commissioners of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame. Here are the future ones:

2020: New Orleans
2021: Miami
2022: Indianapolis
2023: Los Angeles (new Rams/Chargers stadium)
2024: Houston
I hope we make it next year. I've been wanting to make a trip to New Orleans. Heck by 2023 I'll hopefully be living in LA or San Diego

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Some additional Criteria for selection: Your stadium must seat at least 65K, which includes nearly all NFL stadiums as well as the Rose Bowl, the Alamodome, and Camping World Stadium. Jacksonville and Minneapolis have bid. A site that hosts a semifinal (like Arlington and South Florida this year) can't host the championship game in the same year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
If the cities bid on this, and not the venues, then the city of San Francisco is about to take a bath. I expect more than half the stadium to be occupied by locals, not people coming into the city for a long weekend and spending money on hotels and restaurants. This could help weed out cities like this in future bidding.
While obviously not as big as the Olympics, it sort of has that feel to it. I'm in no way comparing Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco, but, all of this fanfare to get the game, and then, following it, the crowd is disappointment, travel receipts below expectations, so on and so forth. A lot of hubbub and trouble for not much return.

Anyway, the stadium is still there for the NFL, and it's not like Santa Clara built this all out JUST for a CFP National Title game. Just has an Olympic-Fail feeling to it.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
As with most decisions that initially make me say "what bonehead decided that..." it is easily explicable when you follow the money trail. Basically, SF bought it. Relatively speaking, there is very little local interest in the game, making these the cheapest tickets to any of the title games. However, the barrier to entry is the travel/lodging cost plus the distance for fan bases. And if it rains (as currently predicted) with a mid-50 degree temperature at kickoff on a week night, the potential for the number of empty seats to be embarrassingly large is there. Bet the TV ratings will set records, though.

Usually when that happens in bowl games the host committee shakes its head and complains that X fan base just doesn't travel. They won't get away with that where Alabama and Clemson are concerned. However, there were face value tickets from the University's allotment still available on the day after the Oklahoma game, FWIW. Also, they will say it wasn't a good "match up" though in this case sports talking heads are saying its one of the best match ups ever. SF better be donating tickets to Boys and Girls Clubs left and right.

Personally, I'd love to go and can easily afford the ticket -- the days away from home/work, the sky high hotel costs, the even higher airline tickets, etc. mean I'll be watching instead from my easy chair. All of the other future cities (except LA) I can drive to if necessary. Not SF. No way.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If the cities bid on this, and not the venues, then the city of San Francisco is about to take a bath. I expect more than half the stadium to be occupied by locals, not people coming into the city for a long weekend and spending money on hotels and restaurants. This could help weed out cities like this in future bidding.
Well, by all accounts, San Francisco could use a good scrubbing...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Well I admit to being bitter about missing the game. But, I will NOT spend that much money to see a football game.
Irony here, these may damn well be the cheapest tickets for an Alabama vs power 5 opponent since........forever?

I honestly can't remember the last time tickets were this cheap. And post season? Forget about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Irony here, these may damn well be the cheapest tickets for an Alabama vs power 5 opponent since........forever?

I honestly can't remember the last time tickets were this cheap. And post season? Forget about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Looking like 2015 Clemson game was fairly cheap, too. Click

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is the biggest advantage to having the first round of playoffs on campus. The semifinals on campus would be packed and then fans would be more willing to pay up to travel for the NC game since it doesn't cost nearly as much to attend your teams home game..
But campus games would give a fairly large advantage to the home team and I don't believe they will go to this model unless it goes to 8 teams. Then the first round games only would be on campus to the higher ranked team and then would go to neutral for the semi and final IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Basically Oregon v. Ohio State @Dallas, Clemson v. Alabama @Tempe, Alabama v. Clemson @Santa Clara will all have average resale prices below what the face value for these CFPCG tickets. The two that have performed well above the face value were two Deep South teams playing in the Deep South. Jerry World's attendance in 2015 CFPCG was only 85,788 and AT&T Stadium has approximately a max capacity ~110k. I'd call that a good showing and I know Ohio State fans were in there in force.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The sites are based on a bidding process, presumably not unlike for the Super Bowl. I think the selection is made by the commissioners of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame. Here are the future ones:

2020: New Orleans
2021: Miami
2022: Indianapolis
2023: Los Angeles (new Rams/Chargers stadium)
2024: Houston
2 out of 5 ain't bad

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Santa Clara has just as much issues with bad grounds crews as Tampa. It is the 2nd worst stadium on the west coast to play in next to Oakland. They should’ve played in LA or San Diego if they wanted it on the west coast. The one huge problem with Seattle is the constant rain and snow.

Also Santa Clara is an hour on a good day from San Fran. SBNation did a 4 person race from the Golden Gate Bridge ( 1 by a fast car, 1 by public transportation, 1 by boat, and one by bike) to the stadium for Super Bowl 50. The public transportation and boat person won but it took 2hrs. I would link it but it has some choice language. But the article has more about field issues, transportation, and atmosphere issues about the stadium and why the CFPNCG shouldn’t be played there.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Basically Oregon v. Ohio State @Dallas, Clemson v. Alabama @Tempe, Alabama v. Clemson @Santa Clara will all have average resale prices below what the face value for these CFPCG tickets. The two that have performed well above the face value were two Deep South teams playing in the Deep South. Jerry World's attendance in 2015 CFPCG was only 85,788 and AT&T Stadium has approximately a max capacity ~110k. I'd call that a good showing and I know Ohio State fans were in there in force.
Jerry World is no where near 110K for football. He had 103K for the Super Bowl and that was a horribly flawed number. Over 3K people watching the game outside the Stadium on the Giant TV's and 12K employees/media/credentialed people. HE even counted the dish washers, food service people. So, the real number was probably about 95K, if that. Jerry is a moron!

As you pointed out, if you had say Penn St and Oregon playing in Miami for the title, the tickets are dirt cheap on the resale sites. If this years game was say USC VS Texas, you'd have tickets through the roof. Put ND in the game and tickets are stupidly expensive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jerry World is no where near 110K for football. He had 103K for the Super Bowl and that was a horribly flawed number. Over 3K people watching the game outside the Stadium on the Giant TV's and 12K employees/media/credentialed people. HE even counted the dish washers, food service people. So, the real number was probably about 95K, if that. Jerry is a moron!

As you pointed out, if you had say Penn St and Oregon playing in Miami for the title, the tickets are dirt cheap on the resale sites. If this years game was say USC VS Texas, you'd have tickets through the roof. Put ND in the game and tickets are stupidly expensive.
Sure he fluffed the numbers, they all do. But I guarantee there were far more people in the city of Dallas than there were in Miami when ND played Alabama. Comparing SB crowds to NCG crowds is one that the NFL wins handily. You could have Jacksonville playing Carolina ( two of the worst traveling fan bases) playing for the SB in Santa Clara and they would trump viewership and capacity in and outside the stadium of the game we are playing Monday night. Hell the SB with the ravens and 49ers blew away the Bama notre Dame game in that metric.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I know this is going to sound crazy but, a friend and his buddy decided to go just today. Flying into LAX at 7:30 Monday AM, (Yes, a 350 mile drive once they land), and driving to the Stadium. They are familiar with the area and said they can make it in 6-7 hours. Found a hotel (Hampton Inn) on the way back about 45 miles from the stadium.

His cost is $230 airfare + $70 for his half hotel, $250 ticket on the 10 yard line, $150 for his half rental car, food and gas. $700 isn't bad. About 1/4 of what I spent for BAMA - ND.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is reminding me of a bizarre thing some of us lived through that may happen again.

Go look back to the early days of the Super Bowl and which cities hosted it. Look at the names.

Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
Houston (at Rice Stadium of all places)
Detroit
Tampa
Palo Alto

????????

Yes, Super Bowl XIX was actually held at the college field Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto and coincidentally hosted the 49ers winning it.

NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle - a highly intelligent businessman I should point out, who brought the modern NFL to prominence - concocted this idea of the Bay Area hosting a Super Bowl. HIS motivation was actually good. At the time he conceived this, the Super Bowl had already played 16 editions MOSTLY in 3 cities - LA, Miami, and New Orleans (Houston and Detroit had hosted one apiece and Tampa wasn't until 18).

To be fair, this wasn't all Rozelle's doing. A guy named Kopp on the Board of Supervisors asked a reasonable question - why hadn't San Fran hosted a Super Bowl? Kopp then discovered that Stanford Stadium was the only one in the Bay Area that met the NFL's standards for seating.

So the NFL owners - right after winning a strike against the players - agreed with Rozelle and awarded Super Bowl XIX to the Bay Area.

They had a ton of problems.

They had old wooden benches, so they came up with the idea of seat cushions that is now standard for the game. Some dude named Steve Jobs got behind that one and they were Apple seat cushions. (There were no luxury boxes). Jobs, of course, had ruined the Super Bowl the year before with the memorable 1984 Apple commercial that caused the insanity we have now with the commercials. (Believe it or not there was a time when you saw the SAME commercials during the Super Bowl as you saw during the rest of the year. In fact, my copy of Super Bowl III is mostly - get this - cigarette commercials!

They had to install temporary lights, which is why there's a dark overhang when you watch the old game on You Tube or whatever.

And Palo Alto was then a city of 50,000 people about to be invaded by 100,000 more.

They had to do about 2.3 million bucks of upgrades.....and it still looked like something out of the early 60s.

(There was no elevator in the press box.........)

My point? I think this might another one of those where they don't host this for, oh, another three decades or so.

I'm not sure they would want it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.