Question: Who actually made the decision for San Jose and Levis Stadium?

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
And everything you wanted to know about the College Football Playoff.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/9/30/_131504729609884945.aspx

Quote -

Governance

University presidents and chancellors from all 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame serve on the College Football Playoff Board of Managers and govern the administrative operations, with commissioners (the management committee) managing the event. A small staff in the playoff office in Irving, Texas, carries out the day-to-day responsibilities.

Who would ever think that a group of educators would screw up the momentum of college football by bidding a championship game to the "Bay Area"?

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2015/5/27/_131504731253888676.aspx?path=general

Point is that most all the tickets have been sold once. The venue sold all they could to corporations in the Bay Area and the two schools have known for quite a while how many they could sell to their season ticket holders. I assume that number to be above 15,000 or so per school, knowing several who have purchased National Championship game tickets thru the school in the past (Rose and Fiesta) but were not high enough on the list for Miami, New Orleans, or Atlanta. The place only holds 68,500.

TV viewership will be good. Ticket revenue for the original sale will be good, not great. The secondary market will be awful. Public Relations will be terrible outside ESPN's coverage. College Football has almost completed its journey in becoming a corporate game like the NFL-----at the fans insistence. There's just not nearly as much corporate interest. All the companies headquartered on the east coast and west coast have very little consistent interest in the college game. Especially when that bunch of rubes from the south win all the championships.

One other note. Were you aware that the trademarks for the College Football Playoff are owned by a company named BCS Properties, LLC? Same old bunch. The only reason to expand was to extract more money from ESPN. The only reason to further expand will be to extract more money from the TV provider. That's the reason there will be no expansion of the playoff until the future of the TV packages can be decided.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Here's SDS, saying pretty much the same as everybody else (SIAP):

SDS
The Access Gang may hate to hear this but I could predict playing the CFPCG in Northern California would go like this one. Oregon is the only CFPCG participant in 5 years that is less than 2000 miles from Levi Stadium. Oregon is not a traditional power with a huge fanbase and it is still 8 hours from Eugene to Santa Clara. There have only been two CFP participants in 5 years (Oregon '14 and Washington '16) that are less than a 24hr drive from Santa Clara and frankly that 12 hour drive from Seattle is a flight-only scenario for many too. The center gravity for this sport is nowhere near NorCal. Southern Cal has a better football tradition, especially in college football.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
True, that’s good because we’ve been rained on all day, on and off. However, covered with no sunshine, there’ll be very little root development in the new sod. Hope it doesn’t come up in chunks.
Guys it ain’t Bob’s Landscaping crew that threw out the pieces we use for our yards. This stuff is sown in and I’m pretty sure it’s the same company that resodded the Rose Bowl and Phoenix when Bama played on them. They do a great job. I think the field will be tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Anybody else think when Santa Clara bid on this they might have been thinking about Futbol? I mean these are an enlightened populace. I can just can see them looking at all the football fans from the Deep South saying, “What the hell?” [emoji6]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Guys it ain’t Bob’s Landscaping crew that threw out the pieces we use for our yards. This stuff is sown in and I’m pretty sure it’s the same company that resodded the Rose Bowl and Phoenix when Bama played on them. They do a great job. I think the field will be tight.

Or it could be the crew that did Tampa and we don’t have good traction on it.

LS has a long history of field problems and I fully expect that history to continue with this short time of laying it and the monsoon that has came in.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Access Gang may hate to hear this but I could predict playing the CFPCG in Northern California would go like this one. Oregon is the only CFPCG participant in 5 years that is less than 2000 miles from Levi Stadium. Oregon is not a traditional power with a huge fanbase and it is still 8 hours from Eugene to Santa Clara. There have only been two CFP participants in 5 years (Oregon '14 and Washington '16) that are less than a 24hr drive from Santa Clara and frankly that 12 hour drive from Seattle is a flight-only scenario for many too. The center gravity for this sport is nowhere near NorCal. Southern Cal has a better football tradition, especially in college football.
There are all those factors and then there's the likelihood of the two finalists to be from the east, if not the southeast. (In fact, the odds favored a Bama/Clemson rematch even before the season began.) Tickets from this part of the country are daunting, particularly on short notice. There are just more and more factors, when you look at it. This bid system of take the money and run has to end...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thy are forecasting a little more than an inch of rain today and tonight, stopping by sunrise. Then they will have all day tomorrow to work on the field and get it ready. But the question will be, how well has the turf taken. I am hopeful that it will be fine. Either way, it is what it is at this point.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Houston Dallas Atlanta Jacksonville Nashville Miami Indy Charlotte New Orleans Detroit

AND you chose Santa Clara?
San Antonio, Minneapolis,and Jacksonville were up for the bid for this particular bid.

- San Antonio was probably scrapped because it just barely meets the seating capacity minimum

I think Larry Scott's insistence of having a championship in PAC 12 country and the fact the 49ers organization has been putting oodles of money out to promote that stadium played a huge role in it. I have no problem with it being in CA, but I do have a problem with it being in San Francisco. If they wanted it in CA then it should've been in LA or San Diego.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Or it could be the crew that did Tampa and we don’t have good traction on it.

LS has a long history of field problems and I fully expect that history to continue with this short time of laying it and the monsoon that has came in.
It’s West Coast Turf (IIRC) that put this down. Fingers crossed that they are maintaining it for the game and NOT the crew for LS because you are absolutely right about their lack of competence on the field surface maintenance. It’s literally been crap ever since it opened. If I couldn’t find a crew to maintain it better than that I’d have switched to RealTurf.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.