Question: Who actually made the decision for San Jose and Levis Stadium?

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Was it ESPN, the NCAA, or some other brain dead entity? I am going to miss my first Natty because the airfare, travel time, and hotel costs are just too much.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My assumption is that Larry Scott, Pac-12 commish, wanted this host site venue because he's firmly ensconced in the Silicon Valley. Personally, I think other than the Rose Bowl and the new LA NFL Stadium when it still has novelty there is no venue on the West Coast that will perform well. Levi Stadium is a noted terrible stadium for the fans and players. San Fransisco Greater Metropolitan Area is up there with NYC as one of the most expensive places in the nation. You're not getting anything around there for cheap: motels/hotels, food, drink, rentals, etc. Santa Clara is just far enough from the inner circle of SF that the amenities are fewer and farther between.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This was done by bid - the city paid the most to host the game.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
The sites are based on a bidding process, presumably not unlike for the Super Bowl. I think the selection is made by the commissioners of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame. Here are the future ones:

2020: New Orleans
2021: Miami
2022: Indianapolis
2023: Los Angeles (new Rams/Chargers stadium)
2024: Houston

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This was done by bid - the city paid the most to host the game.
Well market forces may well keep many West Coast sites from putting up a bid for awhile. I reckon the LA year will perform well if they get engaged fanbases because it is going to be a brand new, luxury stadium experience.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
From what I read in an article, it has a lot to do with the area. The PAC 12 championship is played there and they have to cover the empty seats with a tarp. If that's the case, IMO it's a very poor decision to simply choose a site according to bids. Maybe there needs to be a process which guarantees that 90% of a stadium will be full also???

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The sites are based on a bidding process, presumably not unlike for the Super Bowl. I think the selection is made by the commissioners of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame. Here are the future ones:

2021 Miami Yikes...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Personally I think the CFPCG should never be outside of the Deep South + Texas and the Midwest. This is the center gravity of college football followers. The Indy game is going to perform well unless the matchup is the equivalent of this upcoming one but with West Coast teams. If it is ACC/SEC v. Big Ten/Big-12 then it will be a fine turnout. What we're discovering is that college football's reach is still not anywhere close to the NFL's reach with the casual sports fan. The Super Bowl rarely if ever fails to fill out their host site because it is the ultimate American sporting event. The CFP Championship is unlikely to get to that point soon or possibly ever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, I found out why some of these games are so spread out now (between Semi-finals and finals). When the schedules were firts put together, all of the semi-final games were scheduled on either 12/31 or 1/1 (depending on the year and the day of the week that 12/31 fell upon). The finals were always the first Monday following the semi-final games with at least 6 days between.

After the mess that the New Year's Eve games created in the early years, they changed the dates for the semi-final games - moved them to stay away from the holiday. They left the Finals dates as they were because the city bids were tied to those dates. So now we have much longer windows between these games than we would have.

Next year, for instance. The date could have been 1/6 given the current 12/28 semi-finals date, but the original semi-final date would not provide the 6 day window. So the bids were based on a 1/13 date. The CFP is forced to leave that game on 1/13, so next year we have a HUGE gap between games.

Hopefully that makes sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From what I read in an article, it has a lot to do with the area. The PAC 12 championship is played there and they have to cover the empty seats with a tarp. If that's the case, IMO it's a very poor decision to simply choose a site according to bids. Maybe there needs to be a process which guarantees that 90% of a stadium will be full also???
Something I've seen several people comment on is the overall cost. Clemson fans just had to pay for tickets, hotels, and flights to Dallas. Alabama fans paid for tickets, hotels, and transportation to Miami. Neither place is cheap. Then, they have to do the same a week later for Santa Clara? Unless you had two West Coast teams playing, the crown was bound to be sparse.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the CFP's setup with the bids would make their choices more likely to be made irrespective of the ticket sales. I'm assuming that the majority if not all of the ticket revenue goes to the host site and the compensation to the CFP membership is from the bid payout made by the host site. This process is just a cash grab because I assume the majority of the revenue in this system is coming from Disney.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

2024: Houston[the link:/QUOTE]

This my understanding as well. The CFP Committee and management members that make the selection in the
link: https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/11/_131504729614425311.aspx

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Something I've seen several people comment on is the overall cost. Clemson fans just had to pay for tickets, hotels, and flights to Dallas. Alabama fans paid for tickets, hotels, and transportation to Miami. Neither place is cheap. Then, they have to do the same a week later for Santa Clara? Unless you had two West Coast teams playing, the crown was bound to be sparse.
This is the biggest advantage to having the first round of playoffs on campus. The semifinals on campus would be packed and then fans would be more willing to pay up to travel for the NC game since it doesn't cost nearly as much to attend your teams home game..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the cities bid on this, and not the venues, then the city of San Francisco is about to take a bath. I expect more than half the stadium to be occupied by locals, not people coming into the city for a long weekend and spending money on hotels and restaurants. This could help weed out cities like this in future bidding.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is the biggest advantage to having the first round of playoffs on campus. The semifinals on campus would be packed and then fans would be more willing to pay up to travel for the NC game since it doesn't cost nearly as much to attend your teams home game..
This is a symptom of this biggest problem with college football. The system is never built from the bottom up. Every successive system has been just been stacked on top of the previous one so all the people who had a seat at the table continue to eat. The only way we're really going to get a system worth a damn is to burn it to the ground.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.