Link: Why Alabama Didn’t Expect to Lose Justyn Ross to Clemson

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I saw in the article that he cited the NFL receivers that came from Clemson as if there are no Bama alums tearing it up at that position playing in the NFL now. :)
Yah but he's on the field now - and playing in a championship game. Seems like he made the right choice for himself.

He knows full well Bama puts receivers in the league but so does Clemson and he's a legit contributor in year 1. Him saying Clemson puts receivers in the pros isn't him saying that Bama doesn't.

Yah it hurts not to have him and hurts more that he's on a team we are playing but honestly I get why he made that choice and it seems to be working out ok for him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yah but he's on the field now - and playing in a championship game. Seems like he made the right choice for himself.
If he decided the competition at Bama would be too steep for him to get on the field then I agree he made the right choice.
If he decided Bama didn't pass enough to suit him it looks like he was wrong.

Twenty, or twenty-five years from now, when Saban is a legend and the GOAT, people who played under him will cherish the connection. The players Saban recruited but signed elsewhere can at least point out they were once recruited by the GOAT. :)

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I live a few minutes away from the school so this is really strange to read. I know a ton of folks at the school and I never talked to one person that did not think this kid was going to Clemson.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There was plenty of talk during his recruitment he saw the offense under pre-Enos Jalen and wasn't thrilled about playing in it. Probably wouldn't publicly say that this week, but there was heavy smoke around that talk for it to not have been somewhat of a factor.
I just don't buy that. The Clemson offense the year he committed was dismal with Kelly Bryant IRT passing. Really, kind of similar to Alabama's. So how could he see the Clemson offense as any different from Alabama at the time? Both teams had the heir apparent at QB either on the team (Tua) or coming in (Lawrence). It makes more sense that he went to the school where he could play right away and then justified it after the fact because the Clemson offense wasn't exactly setting the world on fire the year he committed..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don't buy that. The Clemson offense the year he committed was dismal with Kelly Bryant IRT passing. Really, kind of similar to Alabama's. So how could he see the Clemson offense as any different from Alabama at the time? Both teams had the heir apparent at QB either on the team (Tua) or coming in (Lawrence). It makes more sense that he went to the school where he could play right away and then justified it after the fact because the Clemson offense wasn't exactly setting the world on fire the year he committed..
I agree - both offenses were the same last year, but Alabama's under Tua in the CFPCG changed dramatically and everyone with a set of working eyes knew what was coming in 2018 for Alabama's offense. If he was an early signee, I might see this differently - he signed in Feb.

He went to Clemson to see early playing time. Nothing else makes any sense at all. I am glad that he is doing well there. He is a stud. But he is not being honest about the reason that he went there (IMO).

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If he decided the competition at Bama would be too steep for him to get on the field then I agree he made the right choice.
If he decided Bama didn't pass enough to suit him it looks like he was wrong.

Twenty, or twenty-five years from now, when Saban is a legend and the GOAT, people who played under him will cherish the connection. The players Saban recruited but signed elsewhere can at least point out they were once recruited by the GOAT. :)
All your comments are slanted in such a way as to disparage the kid by implying that he was too afraid of a challenge to ride the bench (which he would have been) or that he made a foolish choice based on the passing game of either team. In the end, he liked the vibe at Clemson more and he ended up starting on a team that has a talented frehsman QB that he will be able to team up with years to come and is contending for a national championship.

I don't like the vibe that I'm getting that all players who choose not to go to Bama are morons. While I want to stockpile talent and allow it to distill and age like fine wine I'm not going to pretend like that is the best option for all of these players or insinuate that they chose other schools because they were too afraid to compete or made bad judgments.

Time will tell but it look like Ross's decision was a fine one for him to make even though I'd prefer him to be on our bench instead of across from our DB's on the field.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We only have so many spots and can't sign 'em all.

I do think the recruiting mattered and he felt better about playing receiver at Clemson than Bama. If he chose that it doesn't mean he's not a good kid OR is afraid of competition.

I do think we lost too much ground on him when it was uncertain what CNS would do with Jalen. I distinctly remember an article where he was interviewed and expressed his concern about our passing game. By the time Tua became a hero, Clemson was way ahead I think. And even on signing day, it wasn't official Tua would start this year. I think the fact we had a chance on signing day was pretty good considering I think we were way behind until then.

I wish the guy success...just not on Monday night.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yea, we lost one the year before to Michigan too but it all seems to come out in the wash. I mean, in the end, you either love the Tide or want to be something else.
Yep, Nico Collins but when you sign Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Shavers you don't lose sleep over it. We got Waddle the following year so the way I look at it Collins and Ross would be #5 and #6 in the rotation but that would be an amazing 6 man rotation.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
All your comments are slanted in such a way as to disparage the kid by implying that he was too afraid of a challenge to ride the bench (which he would have been) or that he made a foolish choice based on the passing game of either team. In the end, he liked the vibe at Clemson more and he ended up starting on a team that has a talented frehsman QB that he will be able to team up with years to come and is contending for a national championship.

I don't like the vibe that I'm getting that all players who choose not to go to Bama are morons. While I want to stockpile talent and allow it to distill and age like fine wine I'm not going to pretend like that is the best option for all of these players or insinuate that they chose other schools because they were too afraid to compete or made bad judgments.

Time will tell but it look like Ross's decision was a fine one for him to make even though I'd prefer him to be on our bench instead of across from our DB's on the field.
I thought his trick with fooling the Bama coaches with his bowtie was a silly thing to do. Excuse me if I don't praise him as much as you think Bama fans ought to.

Ross had shown up to Central-Phenix City that day wearing a crimson-colored bow tie and the belief for that Alabama staffer was that the ceremony would end with the highly-ranked wide receiver wearing a crimson-colored hat.

In his final conversations with the Tide staff before National Signing Day, Ross had given them the sense he was going to sign with Alabama. The staff was so confident about landing Ross that, according to a Tide source, he was already up on Alabama’s recruiting board as an expected member of the Tide’s signing class.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Over the years since Coach Bryant stepped down and passed away, we've seen countless times where others that played the game in his era would tell about whatever contact they might have had with Bryant, no matter how trivial. It was a honor to have crossed his path.

I think it will be the same with Saban, and I think people he recruited but didn't sign will tell about how they nearly played for the GOAT.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I thought his trick with fooling the Bama coaches with his bowtie was a silly thing to do. Excuse me if I don't praise him as much as you think Bama fans ought to.
You don't have to praise him, but you don't have to disparage him either. Kids have been pulling tricks like this on signing day for a while - including a few who have signed with us. Just seems like you have sour grapes is all. Roll Tide in any case.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You don't have to praise him, but you don't have to disparage him either. Kids have been pulling tricks like this on signing day for a while - including a few who have signed with us. Just seems like you have sour grapes is all. Roll Tide in any case.
Fortunately, I don't have to take advice from you.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Did you guys see that OU is hiring tOSU's asst D Coordinator eliminating Golding from that opening?

Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture

Fortunately, I don't have to take advice from you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.