Link: Why Alabama Didn’t Expect to Lose Justyn Ross to Clemson

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

At least one Alabama staffer stopped to watch Justyn Ross’ National Signing Day announcement ceremony, fully expecting some good news for the Crimson Tide.

Ross had shown up to Central-Phenix City that day wearing a crimson-colored bow tie and the belief for that Alabama staffer was that the ceremony would end with the highly-ranked wide receiver wearing a crimson-colored hat.

In his final conversations with the Tide staff before National Signing Day, Ross had given them the sense he was going to sign with Alabama. The staff was so confident about landing Ross that, according to a Tide source, he was already up on Alabama’s recruiting board as an expected member of the Tide’s signing class.

Instead, Ross chose Clemson, a decision that the aforementioned staffer and others at Bama learned of when Ross made that announcement on ESPN.

“It was total shock because we were 100 percent confident he was coming to Alabama,” that staffer said.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Sucks to lose an incredible in-state talent like Ross, but Bama did walk away with Waddle. So...............can't really complain.
Yea, we lost one the year before to Michigan too but it all seems to come out in the wash. I mean, in the end, you either love the Tide or want to be something else.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hate we lost him, but with talent and depth we had at wideout he wouldn't have started. With some of the injuries I imagine he would have got playing time as the season wore on.

If he was looking for instant PT, he probably made the right choice.

I hope we make him regret it Monday night though!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Staged by Dabo so he could crow about getting the number one player out of Alabama. That and he did not want the competition.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
My take is why wear putrid orange when you can wear magnificent crimson. He chose poorly!!!

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I have grown to hate all the drama they have perpetuated with signing day and these last minute “hat choices”....make a choice and stand true to your word like men do....you will be a star soon enough if you pan out against the big boys.

I have a feeling he will regret that choice here in a few days when he isn’t getting sized for that ring and Bama commits are....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure how much playing time he would of got here. I think Waddle is better and we already have 3 NFL wide receivers and a NFL tight end.
I would say they have different styles versus saying one is better than the other. Both great talents..

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Ross is a very, very talented player. Very physical and of good size. To say he wouldn't have played? He would have played. I am not sure whose snaps he would have taken, but he would have played.

rtr

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ross is a very, very talented player. Very physical and of good size. To say he wouldn't have played? He would have played. I am not sure whose snaps he would have taken, but he would have played.

rtr
Probably, but in mop up duty. He is a wide out, not a slot guy, so he would have to take snaps from JJ or Ruggs. Waddle worked out perfectly because Smith got hurt and Waddle is also a slot guy, so Waddle got more snaps that he would have otherwise - so many that he is now part of the primary offense.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Probably, but in mop up duty. He is a wide out, not a slot guy, so he would have to take snaps from JJ or Ruggs. Waddle worked out perfectly because Smith got hurt and Waddle is also a slot guy, so Waddle got more snaps that he would have otherwise - so many that he is now part of the primary offense.
He wouldn't have played much this year but with all the injuries we had at one point he likely would have taken snaps from Shavers.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If he wants to go through college playing football and thinks Dabo is a better choice for him over Saban then his judgement is obviously shot. :) The mind games with the Bama coaches and wearing his little red bowtie before signing reinforces my opinion of his judgement.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he wants to go through college playing football and thinks Dabo is a better choice for him over Saban then his judgement is obviously shot. :) The mind games with the Bama coaches and wearing his little red bowtie before signing reinforces my opinion of his judgement.
I have a feeling that he is being a little less than honest here. He saw what we saw last year. He knew that he was not going to start at Alabama for a few years. At Clemson, he would start immediately. Both schools put receivers in the NFL right now.

He went to Clemson to play football immediately, not because they were better in any other way. But he has to have an answer to these questions, and this one feels better than admitting the obvious.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have a feeling that he is being a little less than honest here. He saw what we saw last year. He knew that he was not going to start at Alabama for a few years. At Clemson, he would start immediately. Both schools put receivers in the NFL right now.

He went to Clemson to play football immediately, not because they were better in any other way. But he has to have an answer to these questions, and this one feels better than admitting the obvious.
I saw in the article that he cited the NFL receivers that came from Clemson as if there are no Bama alums tearing it up at that position playing in the NFL now. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

There was plenty of talk during his recruitment he saw the offense under pre-Enos Jalen and wasn't thrilled about playing in it. Probably wouldn't publicly say that this week, but there was heavy smoke around that talk for it to not have been somewhat of a factor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.